What's new

H/K 525 and EzSet ????s (1 Viewer)

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

My getup consists of H/K 525 rcvr, 6 dahlquist qx6, 1 svs 22-31 Pci.....so far so good.

Now....after connecting everything up, I went to EzSet to do a quick calibration (AVIA disc is on order). I calibrated in Dolby mode and was pretty happy with the results. Then I put in a DVD that used DTS and was disappointed with the sound. I checked the CHANNEL ADJUSTMENTS and the Dolby cal. numbers weren't present in the DTS mode.

I have a couple of questions:
1) Do you have to run EzSet for *every* surround mode? It seems like if I run it for Dolby, then DTS/Logic7/etc...does not have the calibration settings. Only the Dolby setting.

2) Can I just manually enter the "+db" settings for each mode? Or should I re-run EzSet for each?

3) If I change a speaker from Large to Small, should I recalibrate?

4) If I change the crossover setting for a speaker, should I recalibrate?

The H/K manual isn't exactly clear on all of this and hence my questions.

Thanks is advance,
Guy

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I don't have an HK 525, but I know that on my HK225, the manual specifically says to use the Ez set while in the PL II Movie mode. Now I know that you can calibrate all the modes individually- but maybe there’s someway that the new HK machines use this mode to automatically set all the other modes, just as it does with some of its bass management settings. After I used the PL II Movie mode with Ez set on my HK225 I was pretty happy with the initial settings in all the modes. When recalibrating with my spl meter, I found that the adjustment were ± 3-4 dB depending on which speaker, and I didn’t have to recalibrate for each individual setting either. I personnaly think you should choose the speaker's small or large settings before recalibrating and let the bass management do the rest so that you don't have to recal after that. You should also be able to manually enter the "+db" settings for each mode using the OSD. As for crossover settings- I won't even try to touch that one as I'm still fairly new at all this. These are just my thoughts- hope they help in some way, even if just to send you a first reply and get you back up on the list for others with the HK525 to see. Good luck!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
1) With my 320, I had to run EZSet for all modes, including variations (i.e. DPLII Music, Movie, Emu; DD; DTS; Logic7, etc). There has been some talk of the LFE on DTS tracks being 10 db below the DD track, and although the HKs affect all subwoofer volume, not just LFE, I would suggest turning the SUB channel to +5 to +10 db, whatever sounds best to you.

2) If you use the CHAN button, you can scroll through the different speakers and manually adjust the levels. I would wait until the Avia disk for this, and just use their speaker level tones. Since the EZSet remote isn't a real SPL meter, only the basic tones will be of use, bass will have to be by ear. One cool thing I found out is that you can use the EZSet in manual mode, so you can use other test tones. From my 320 manual:

To adjust the output levels using program material, first set the reference volume for the front left and front right channels using the Volume Control.If you are using a disc with test signals or an external signal generator as the source from which to trim the output levels, you may use the EzSet feature of the remote to guide you to the correct SPL level. To use the remote for this purpose, press and quickly release the SPL Indicator Select to activate the sensor. While the test tone is circulating, the Program/SPL Indicator will change color to indicate the level. Adjust the level as shown above until the LED lights green for all channels. When it is red the level is too high; when it is amber the level is too low. Press the SPL Indicator Select to turn the sensor and indicator off.
Reference level on my 320 is stated as -15 db in the manual, it may be different with the 525, check the section on automatic EZSet.

3) The Large and Small speaker settings only determine how much bass is routed to the sub. Large speakers are any speakers with the capability to create their own deep bass. Almost no bookshelf speakers can do this, but I don't have Dalquist, so that's up to you. For most speakers, keep this on Small.

4) Again, the crossover only determines bass, not volume. It's the point at which the sub takes over from the speakers. If you change the size of the speakers, you might have to change the crossover level. I'm not all that up on the crossover settings either, but I actually posted a question on this about the 325 I'll be getting shortly.

Hope this helps.

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input so far.

Here's what I found with the AVIA disc.
After setting my volume to -20db and attempting to calibrate to 85db per the instructions, I couldn't do it. Either the amp can't drive the speakers or my room isn't good enough for this type of calibration. I push the channel adjustments to "+10db" and still can't get near 85db. Ok. Fine. I tell myself, as long as I can get all of the channels relative to each other I should be fine.
So I shoot for 75 db. So far so good. Got all channels reading 75db.

But wait, there's no test tones for the rear channel levels for 6.1/7.1 processing! I went into the test tones on the H/K525 and circulated through the other channels and took db readings. I then adjusted the rear channel to match the db readings from the 525 internal test tones.

Whew! Ok....now I should be relatively set.

None of these adjustments stay set for other processing modes though. For now, I'm just going to manually enter all of the db settings for each mode. Slow but effective.

Now on to the subwoofer adjustment. This seems just downright foolish with the AVIA disc. Basically, you need to set everything by ear? I guess I need to burn myself a test tone disc and increment up the sweeps while measuring on the Radio Shack meter. SVS gives SPL adjustments for readings as the Radio Shack meter is not accurate down low.

I certainly didn't expect my first home theater experience to be difficult to set up. I just pray it'll be all worth it when I'm done.

Thanks again,
Guy

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 525 also.

In a nutshell you have to set the tone for every surround mode. Some surround modes will be active for all seven channels, some will not. I used the EZ set and got different results every time using the same surround mode and differnent ones. Not very reliable. I contacted H/K to see if perhaps I was pointing/placing the ez-set in a way that would derive inaccurate results. The H/K rep. told me to forget about ez-set and buy a real spl. I bought a radio shack analog SPL and set everything without any problems accurately. Go spend the additional $34 and get a real SPL it's worth it.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure the EzSet was never meant to be a substitute for a real SPL. EzSet is for easy setup for your average HK user. Someone like the coworker I just sold my 320 to, or my dad, who just need approximate results. I haven't used a 'Shack SPL yet either, because I'm moving soon, and I'll have to recalibrate with one when I get everything set up there.

Unfortunately, the AVIA (and as far as I know, VE as well) do not have 6/7.1 test tones. I'm pretty sure that they will soon, since I know at least one of the companies has a rep that's an HTF member. I know it's slow, but I like the HK's ability to set the levels for each individual setting. It's a level of control that ensures that you're hearing right. The greatest thing about all the effort going into setting up your HT is the fact that it looks and sounds that much sweeter than someone who bought a Bose Lifestyle system and never changes anything past the volume control.

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
Terry,
Yeah. I've got the Rat Shack SPL meter. This is how I was able to use AVIA and set the 5 speakers to 85db.
I've given in to the fact I need to calibrate across all modes, not just one.
I'm just surprised that the AVIA disc does not have SPL tones for the subwoofer. The instructions basically say, set the level by ear.
Also the AVIA disc does nothing for my 6th rear surround channel. For this I went into the H/K's test tones, took static SPL readings of the 5 speakers, moved the test tone to the 6th speaker and adjusted that level relative to other 5.
Someday, I'll be done calibrating and actually get to enjoy this system! :)
Thanks for the inputs,
Guy

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Guyza, the Avia disc does have sub tones with which to set the level. It will flop between the sub and left channel, then the center and sub, then the right and sub etc. Get the front left at 75 or 85db whatever you like, then match the sub to the same level or a few db's higher.

Sound and Vision has a test disc in conjunction with the the maker's of Avia(Ovation Software), which has tones for 6.1 . It is about half the price of Avia but doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

Happy Calibrating.

Steve

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
My 525 is set for 7.1.

I used the H/K test tones to adjust the rear surround channels. I never adjusted the subwoofer with my SPL. I'm not positive but I beleive the Sound & Vision HT setup DVD has test tones for 6.1 and the subwoofer. It's much cheaper than the Avia. I picked up a copy for my dad for $14.99. I have yet to use it on my system but will next week when my HSU VTF-3 subwoofer is delivered. Just my .02 cents.

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

I did try to use the tones that flop between the 5 speakers and sub, but could not get a good reading with the SPL.

I was hoping for more of a 10-second 20Hz tone, then a 10-second 25Hz tone, etc.....just to find the limits of the sub/room and where the "punch" is from the sub.

Looking to burn my own CD for this purpose.

Thanks,
Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks