What's new

H/K 520 shutting down!!! (1 Viewer)

Fletcher F

Auditioning
I talked to the service center yesterday. They have had it playing for 2 days 24/7 and it has not SD on them yet, my luck. If it would SD they said they could probably find the problem. I know with it not doing it at any specific time or condition it will almost impossible to fix. I will keep you updated as I know more.
Fletcher

Matthew Ar

Auditioning
When I talked to the service tech on the phone he said that even if they couldn't reproduce it, he would believe me and give me a new unit. If they can't get it to shut down, try throwing a fit and demand a new one.

Of course, that one might shut down two...

Matt

Hal_J

Agent
i posted previously in this thread and wanted to update you guys. my 520 is finicky. let me describe. i live in an old house (1955) but before we moved in we had the electrical service entrance/panel fully updated, and i had a 20amp circuit run to a new outlet in the HT room. there is nothing else on this circuit. when i plug the hk directly into the wall, everything is great. when i plug it into my POS surge "protector" (i need to look at the exact model number, but it is a pretty cheap one from aps or apc or whoever they are) it doesnt work. it turns on, clicks, and then shuts off. everytime. unplug it from the 'protector' and plug it into the wall and no problem. im no EE but it seems like the 'protector' is at fault, and isnt feeding the receiver properly. (of course no other equipment has any issues with this same 'protector.'

whatever, im not pissed. im keeping the 520, i really dig the sound. but i would like to know how everyone who *isnt* having a shutdown issue is plugging theirs in?

a) straight to the wall
b) through a cheap crappy surge protector
c) through a higher quality surge protector
d) through a surge protector with some sort of battery backup (UPS-like device)
e) fancy schmancy power conditioner.

please weigh in so we can get better comparisons of setups and find a workaround.

thanks,

Hal

Dave Jewett

Agent
My 520 had the shutdown problem when I had it hooked up to a cheap surge protector, it would shut off every time a major appliance kicked on (A/C, fridge, etc.). I replaced the cheapo surge with a Panamax DBS+5 and haven't had a single problem since...

Dave

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, my experience with the HK 520 - which has not shut down on me other than when I had accidentally engaged the sleep mode.
It is in the room we converted from our garage. The room is divided into four electrical circuits (two of which were brand new when we wired the room), three 15 amp and one 20 amp, which is only for the air conditioner. One fifteen amp is for the right side of the room. The other for the left. And the third powers the ceiling lights and ceiling fan. The side of the room with my HT also has two computers plugged into into it, through two separate UPS devices. The HK itself is plugged into a $13 surge protector from Lowes which is plugged straight into an outlet. I also have a 32" TV plugged into the same circuit.
As I said, no problems.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I've got a 320 with no shutdown problems. I'm in a house which is at least 40 years old and had two prong outlets throughout. I redid the outlets in my room and the guest room which is on the same circuit (15amp). Now have 3 prong outlets in both spots in my room and all 3 spots in the guest room.

There is a 20" TV and a Sherwood Newcastle 956 in the guest room. My room has the HK 320, mini disc player, CD player, DVD player and 27" TV all on the same outlet. TV is plugged directly into the wall while the HK and audio components are plugged into a cheap $12 surge protector. I've tested with both receivers and TV's on, CD player and DVD going plus the overhead ceiling fan lights. HK never shut down. I've run the HK straight to the outlet and thru a surge plug, works the same.

Only shutdown I have is if the whole circuit goes down and the breaker has to be flipped on again. This occurs if I have a portable heater going and someone flips on the overhead bathroom heat lamp or a portable heater in the guest room at the same time. But with all those things running I'm sure we're overloading the circuit. This happened before I got he HK so it's not a receiver problem.

With all the crappy wiring in my place I was leery that my HK would shut down by itself, but I've left it on all day and come back later in the evening to see it still going strong. Now that winter utility bills are high, I don't do that any more.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
My 520 is on a cheap surge supressor, one with 3 MOVs, one between ground, neutral, and the hot. I have had only the one shutdown to date. I don't see how it could have caused my shutdown. If it does get repeatable, I can try plugging it direct.

I received a response from HK saying they are working on the problem, but have few units to examine. They mentioned knowing about the issue on the forums. They offered to start the exchange process, but I declined at this point. Until it starts to happen more, or a known fix is found, will hang onto this unit.

JohnS

Fletcher F

Auditioning
I got my 520 back a week ago. This morning I turned the ceiling fan off and the 520 shut down. I turned the receiver back on. I started turning the fan on and off and got the receiver to shutdown a few times. The fan is on the same circuit as the receiver. I guess I will run a separate line for the A/V stuff or get a power conditioner. Any feedback on what might be the better of the two?

Fletcher

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Fletcher, sorry to hear you went through all the hassle and not get it fixed. :frowning: I have remained "lucky" with no more occurrence of the shutdown. From your description, it sound like high freq noise, created by the item you a switching on/off. Since you can reproduce it, on demand, you might want to try to isolate how its getting into the receiver.
I would start disconnecting, one item at a time, and recreating it, to see if the noise is entering the unit from other than the power cord. Don't know your system, but start with subamp, ext power amps, and move into individual components (dvd, vcr, tv, etc), speakers, leaving the last thing as just the receiver itself, plugged into the outlet. Every time you remove a component, remove the patch cord, or item from the back of the receiver. Wires tend to act like antenna, when picking up noise.
If all of a sudden, once you remove a component, you can't recreate it, that's a big clue ;) It could be the patch cord or wires or noise getting picked up in that component and transmitted to your HK.
Its just what I would do, before buying the power conditioner or rewiring the circuit.
JohnS

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Just FYI
I have a 520 and am not experiencing any shutdown problems. My electrical service was upgraded in the early 60's and the house was built in the early thirties. Most of the electrical outlets on for an entire side of the house are supplied by the same 20 amp circuit that supplies the receiver. I have a cheap surge suppressor. To this, I connect my TV, VCR, a 300 Watt lamp, and a Video Tape rewinder. My DVD Player is plugged into one of the outlets in my receiver, as is a TERK Pi antenna.

Seems like my situation is similar to Jonathan_D.
I'm grateful that it's not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks