H/K 520 Receiver Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph_Mikhail, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

I have my DVD connected to my HK520 via optical cable. However, I can only get 2 channels to show up on the display panel even when the DVD has a 5.1 signal. Anyone ever experience this problem?

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

are you sure you have the dvd input correctly assigned to either Optical1 or Optical2 and not on Analog?

you can check this from the OSD.

3. Joseph_Mikhail

Yeah, I set Optical 1 as the Digital Input for the DVD. The display panel also reads Optical 1 as the audio input. However, I do have the analog plugs connected as well. Do you think this could be causing the problem?

4. Joseph_Mikhail

BTW the digital signal it detects is always PCM even for DD5.1 DVDs. Is this normal?

5. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

having analog cables connected shouldnt be a problem as long as you have the input assigned correctly. I dont remember though if the PCM light is normally on when a DD5.1 Track is playing. You definitely should see the Dolby Digital logo lit on the display though. Are you sure you have the surround mode set to "Dolby" and not one of those VMax modes?

6. Joseph_Mikhail

Yeah, I select Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround mode. And even though it sounds like I am getting 5 discrete channels, only the L & R speakers show up on the display panel.

7. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I think the problem may lie with your DVD player. Check to make sure that the audio output from your player's set-up menu is set to "Bit Stream" or something to that effect. It's most likely that you have the player set to output via the analog outputs.

8. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Is the DVD player config'd correctly?

9. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

have you tried more than 1 movie? are you sure you arent listening to a dolby 2 channel track?

if the dvd player was outputting through the analog inputs and your receiver is configured to "Optical1" you wouldnt hear any sound at all.

10. Joseph_Mikhail

Chris-

I am pretty sure that I have tried a few movies that were DD5.1. I tried The Matrix (pretty sure that is DD5.1). I will double check when I get home.

11. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

lots of movies that are 5.1 also include a 2.1 track, which may be the default choice. Make sure you go into the audio menu of the movie and select 5.1

12. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I had the same problem withmy H/K 320 it wasn't my reciever it ended up being my DVD player check the set up once you start a movie. After it being go in to the AUDIO set and make sure it says BITSTREAM if it doesn't change it to make it correct. This is not in the setup options on the movie ratherthe ones with the DVD player also with mine a Toshiba 2900 you can only check this when you are playing a movie not just in the menu screen. The reciever will only pick up PCM when its recieving a 2 Channel source.

13. Joseph_Mikhail

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try.

14. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar experience with my hk 520. Coincidently it only happens, so far, on the Matrix and Armaggedon. I don't know if you are experiencing the same problem but I will try to explain it.

First off what dvd player are you using? I am using a Panasonic rv-31. When the movie begins the hk recognizes the DD5.1 signal and displayes it as such(no PCM). It also showes all 5 speakers on the display. But the problem is I only get 2 channels (R/L mains). The reciever does not redirect the center or surround info so I have no voices so its immediatly noticable. This can be fixed by cutting the signal by any means and then switching back. What I mean is if your watching through dvd on the reciever switch to video3 for example then go back to dvd, problem solved. You can also pull the optical cable then reconnect it.

I have experienced this with multiple HK520s on multiple RV-31s. I tried hooking the RV-31 up to a different reciever and had no problems. I also tried using my PS2 with the HK520 and also had no problems. So it must be a problem with the combination of these two units.

Although from what I've read it sounds like your having a different problem. Your reciever should not say PCM it should say "Dolby D" with DD sources. I think the others are correct in suggesting you make sure your dvd player is set to bitstream not PCM. Also make sure you have your reciever set to optical 1 or 2 and not analog.

Anyway I am curious if anyone else has these to units and have experienced this also.

Rob

15. Joseph_Mikhail

I think Don nailed the problem. I am temporarily using my PS2 for my DVD. I read on the newsgroups that you must change the output from PCM to bitstream otherwise you will only get a two channel signal.

16. Joseph_Mikhail

Thanks for the help guys. Apparently Dolby Digital and DTS are set to 'OFF' by default on the PS2. Not sure why. Anyways, turned them both to 'ON' and that fixed the problem. The only annoying thing is that I have to do this everytime I watch a movie.

Looks like its time to buy a real DVD player.

17. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

Does the Panasonic RV-31 have compatability problems with any other of the HK units? I have the RV-31 and was considering the HK 520, but now I'm not so sure...

18. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

19. KyleRoussel

KyleRoussel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks! That was really helpful![​IMG]

20. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator