What's new

H/K 520. Pre-outs volume (1 Viewer)

Jedd

Second Unit
I've noticed that when I change the volume on my receiver - it affects the level of the signal running through the preouts. Does it really matter what volume to keep receiver at, in this case?

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I've noticed that when I change the volume on my receiver - it affects the level of the signal running through the preouts
Jedd, I've never used preouts with a separate amp before but common sense is telling me this is normal. If say your using separate amps for your mains, and the recievers internal amps for the center & surrounds, what are you going to adjust the main speaker vol separatly? Maybe I'm just not understanding your question.

Rob

Jedd

Second Unit
Not like I worried too much about it. Just was curious if all other receivers do the same with the preout signal.
Somehow I thought that preout means lowlevel constant signal, which you can change through amp only. :b
If it has more flexebility then that, I really don't mind. :emoji_thumbsup: ;)

David John

Stunt Coordinator
The pre-amp is supposed to adjust the volume level.

That is one of its functions.

The amplifiers in a receiver are not adjustable as with a separate amp. (gain)

The pre-amp adjusts the signal that goes to the amps.

so if you use the pre-amp outs from your receiver going to any external amp, it will adjust the level going to the amp.

This is the way they all work.

Same with a dedicated pre/pro, it adjusts the level that goes the the separate amp.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Jedd: To add just one more thing...

As stated by all above, your 520 is doing eaxctly as it should. If you want a pre-amp level output that is not adjustable, look to the tape related outputs, such as VCRs and plain old cassette decks. These outputs are not adjustable and are tied directly to the level of the input signal. (BTW, these outputs will only be as left and right. No 5 channel connections here.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks