h/k 520 owners. Does the 520 have plenty of VOLUME for 2 channel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

I have a 12x20 room and I like to play my music LOUD. Will the 520 play plenty loud? Will it play as loud as any other receiver in its class or very close?

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I would venture to say it will put out more power than most in its class.,,,, Used wisely, your new sound equipment will provide a lifetime of enjoyment. Since hearing damage from loud noise is often

undetectable until it is too late, the Electronics Industries Association’s Consumer Electronics Group recommend

you avoid prolonged exposure to excessive noise. Depending on room size and amplifier power, some home audio systems

can reach sound pressure levels in excess of 95 decibels with peaks of over a 105 decibels. Be kind to youre ears,we want you listening for a lifetime.

3. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

lol, you sound like a public service announcement [​IMG]

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Just words of wisdom...right MarkO? Some people are just into Spl's.
    And Todd, yes the 520 will play LOUD and still LOUDER if you wish. Better keep it well vented just in case. [​IMG]

5. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Good Deal! Thanks!

6. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

The 520 has no problems playing loud and distortion free. Like the above poster said though, keep it well vented if you're playing loud. A thermometer on top of mine read 140 degrees F after an hour session at the -10dB level. Not too worried though.

7. RaphaelZ

RaphaelZ Agent

I just bought the HK avr310, 60watts x 2, 50watts x 5. I had the same worries as you. In a room simmilar to yours, I cranked up an old Billy Idol tune about 65% of the volume control. It was louder than I would usually listen to (very loud!), I don't know exactly what spl. I thought it sounded great with lots more to give. Regarding MarkO's point: Even though I thought the volume was tolerable, My ears started to ache mildly about 2 minutes after I turned this down. It felt like I had been at a loud concert for hours. It went away soon enough, but I learned my lesson.

Raphael

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I've got an AVR320 at home connected to a pair of Infinity Interlude 60's in a 20'x20' room with no 4th wall (open concept). This combo plays plenty loud but it's kind of stealth-like, since there's virtually no distortion. Distortion is fatiguing to your ears while clean sound is not.