H/K 520, Marantz 5200, Denon 3802????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Co, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

For my Axiom m50 setup which one will be:
    a. Best for HT
    b. Will do music justice
    c. Have the best possibilities for upgrades in the future (separates)
    d. Can a newbie hook up?

J

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    a) All of them. The 5200 is a notch or two below the other two. The 6200/7200 are very close to the 520, while the 3802 is technically a notch above (see next comment)

b) The 3802 is good for music, but I feel the sound quality for music is better with Marantz and H/K.

c) All have full pre-amp outs.

d) read the manual, ask questions here, should be no problem.

3. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

The 5200 definitely is not in the same ballpark as the other two.

Marantz has been mentioned on here as having more musicality. The overall power rating on this should tell you something though (much lower).

Either the 3802 or the 520 are excellent choices. Look at the features, find out what's important to you, ask what you don't know about...

4. Yuli

Yuli Agent

I just had my speakers (Axiom p M60s, VP150, p QS8) and reciever (H/K AVR 520) delivered on Friday. Being a complete newbee in the area of HT i wasn't sure what to expect.
    Luckly hooking everything up was a fairly easy and took about 2 hours. The H/K AVR 520 is simple to use, most of the buttons on the control i find useless, you'll only need to know a few to enjoy your HT. Setting up and configuring the reciever was annoying though i must say. You have to configure the speaker levels for every thing (DD, DTS, etc) and the manual isn't one of the best.
    Now that i've had some time to listen to some movies and cds i have to say the H/K AVR 520 is great. Very nice and warm sounding and fairly easy to maintain. Just like with my M60, you'll need to experiment alot to figure out the optimum position for your speakers. After my original setup position i moved the speakers around and the sound was like day and night!
    Unfortunatly i didn't have an oppertunity to test Denon and other recievers so i can't comment on how userfriendly they are, but if you go with H/K it won't take long before you'll be listening to music and watch movies.
    As far as music vs HT, the 520 i have found to be great for both. As well it has capabilities to add more channels in the future....
    Good luck [​IMG]

5. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Thanks Yuli. I think you may be the first Axiom owner to reply[​IMG] I appreciate it!
    Jason

6. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Yuli,
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your 520?

J

7. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

I have been watching it. I have seen ecost.com have it for ~$625 when they have it in stock. I think a few users here bought theirs from ecost.com

8. brian reis

brian reis Extra

JasonCO,
    I just got my 520 from onecall.com yesterday. Ordered it last Wednesday and everything was closed Thursday for the 4th. Anyway, I got mine for $639 plus $25 tax. You have to call or email them and tell them someone from the forum got it for this. MAJOR ADVANTAGE......onecall.com is an HK authorized internet dealer, so 2 year warranty is still good. Hooked it up in about 2 hours.

Still have some minor adjustments to make, but that's the fun part. Listened to 5 minutes of Fast and Furious and Episode I last night......I didn't want to goto sleep.

9. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Brian what kind of speakers are you running with it?

J

10. Yuli

Yuli Agent

I got the H/K AVR 520 for $1300 CAN. I got a sweet deal because i bough everything at once. Futureshop was selling the AVR 320 for that price, so i am quite happy with the purchase :b

BTW Jason, do you already have the M50s?

11. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Yuli,
    The M50's are scheduled for arrival tomorrow (Friday 7/12. I don't think I have slept since I ordered them....damn, is this clock slow...hurry up and be Friday. I bought the M50's without ever listening to them, but after reading a ton on here and reviews and talking to Marc at Audioshop, I took the plunge.

J

12. Yuli

Yuli Agent

The M50s are some very sweet sounding speakers. You won't be dissappointed! I got my M60s from George at Number One Sound in Toronto, i couldn't sleep nor eat untill i finally got them! [​IMG]

13. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Yuli, just nabbed denon 3802 to go with the m50's. time to get serious!!!

J

14. Yuli

Yuli Agent

Nice! Let us know what you think of your new speakers and reciever. [​IMG]

15. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

16. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Jason, did you get the $699 deal through 6ave.com for your 3802? Let us know how your new 3802 mates with your axioms.

17. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Yep! 3802 at 6th is the best deal in that group. For about $520 you can pick up a 520. 5ES for $750 is a good choice also.[​IMG]

18. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Yuli, I hooked my Axioms to my sony and to say the least I was paranoid that I would blow a tweeter so I kept the volume pretty low (under 10 on the sony STR 545). The sound from the Axioms is awesome! I think the thing that impressed me the most was that I couldn't detect any seams between fronts and surrounds. The sound totally envelops you. I must admit it was a challenge not to pump the volume and see how those puppies respond. The 3802 will be here Wednesday so I will have to try to control myself. I also upgraded my video cable from composite to component and wow did that make a difference. I watched the 5th Element superbit and the scene where the diva was on stage and the curtain opens showing the earth behind it was breath taking. I am anxious to see how much the 3802 will improve my sound.

Greg, I did get the 3802 from Chris at 6ave. It indeed was $699 plus $30 shipping to Michigan. I'll let ya know how she sounds when I get it all put together.

J

19. Yuli

Yuli Agent

Glad to see you are liking your M50s, but you are going to like them even more once the 3802 arrives!

Besides your new M50s, what do you have for center and rears?

20. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

VP150 center and QS4s for the surrounds