What's new

H/K 520 and MP3 (1 Viewer)

Jedd

Second Unit
So far I didn't find anything useful in the archives, so maybe someone can help me here.

How do I pass the digital signal from mp3 player to H/K 520 through S/PDIF on my soundcard? (m-audio delta 410). Do I need some drivers/plug-ins?

I also have some soundtracks encoded in the AC3, is it possible to pass them too?

Thanks.

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not familiar with the card that you have, but almost all cards not come with digital S/PDIF output. If yuors does have it, just make sure it's enabled for digital (I had to go to the mixer control panel and set an option in the advanced properties for my SB Audigy card.) Then use any software player, such as WinAmp, or even Windows Media Player. You'll be running already decoded digital PCM stream to the receiver instead of MP3 stream. It does not really matter where to decode MP3s, on the receiver or on the computer. It's actually more likely that software decoders will do better job. So the MP3 feature on the receiver is pretty much useless.

ArmenK

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the mp3 feature on the HK receivers requires an extra piece of hardware the you hookup to your computer so that it will send an mp3 digital stream to your receiver. Most soundcards now DO come with spdif outputs (all soundblaster live! models)so you can you that to send a decoded signal to your receiver instead. The mp3 decoding feature is only useful if for some reason your computer cannot handle decoding mp3s. So as Jedd mentioned, the feature is pretty useless and they only advertise it because mp3 decoding is such a catch phrase.

Jedd

Second Unit
Sound card is probably the most expensive part of my computer. It does have the digital out. The only problem I don't know how to use it. :b
I'll try to look through the control panel, maybe there are some settings there.
I want to use H/K decoder because
1)I've paid for this feature. :D
2)I wont need to mess with analog wires - the only digital cable will solve everything.
Any H/K owners here who use MP3 feature?

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
Jedd, if you use S/PDIF output you will be using just the digital cable. Nothing analog. If you try using the MP3 feature on AVR, you may end up spending more money as you'll need some device that can send uncompessed MP3 stream via digital cable. I think such devices exist (they usually connect to USB port), but it absolutely does not make sense using them as you already have digital oputput on your sound card.

Just plug coax cable from the AVR to the S/PDIF output on the sound card (you may ned to buy a connector, an audio _mono_ connector from Rat Shack will do) and see how to enable digital output on your sound card.

Luke M

Grip
Forget it, this will only cause problems. The MP3 "feature" of the H/K is completely useless.

Salvador

Second Unit
why don't you just connect the digital out of your soundcard to the digital in of your receiver??? That's what i'm doing with my current setup and it works very well. Even though you paid for this 'mp3' feature i just can't imagine any advantages it has over just connecting the receiver and the soundcard directly.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, the mp3-decode feature of the HK520 is just marketing-fodder. I do not know what decoder is in the HK520 but it is entirely possible that one of the free mp3 decoders for your PC is of higher quality than the one in the HK520. If there isn't a higher quality software decoder today, there surely will be sometime in the future.

FWIW, the mp3 decoder in the windows media player is actually pretty good (the encoder ain't nothing to write home about, but that is another story).

Salvador

Second Unit
Is it enough to transfer mp3 in the digital form? I thought I need some kind of driver for that.
From my understanding and personal experience no. As long as your soundcard with digital out is properly setup in your computer system, then just plug away with a digital cable and you're ready to go. Your speakers will then serve as your main computer speakers, playing mp3 files or any other kind of sound your computer is producing.

Just remember to turn of any preset equalizers. My audigy had 'acoustic' preset turned on and it messed up the sound pretty bad.

ArmenK

Stunt Coordinator
If it can save me couple cables, why not try it?
It will NOT save your any cables by using the MP3 feature. Just use a coaxial (RCA) cable from your sound card to your receiver. It only takes 1 cable. You might need a 1/8" to RCA adapter to plug the cable into your soundcard. You can get the cable and adapted from radio shack.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
From HK -
"When used with a Harman Kardon A/V receiver, EzLink may be set to simply pass the MP3 bitstream through to the receiver, for onboard MP3 decoding. "
EZlink converts USB to Coax, in case your sound card isn't compatible with TOSlink or coax...
MP3 in the HK's is more than marketing. I think it's a good idea.
:emoji_thumbsup:

ArmenK

Stunt Coordinator
Jedd said he does have digital output on his soundcard so he does not need to use this feature.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is all a bust.

The M-Audio Delta 410 has better analog performance than many CD players.

It has AKM 24/96 DAC's and >100dB SNR. Yes AKM, similar AKM types to the Rotel 1066, B&K ref.30 and numerous Lexicon models.

You should go analog for any PCM data.

T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks