H/K 430 vs. Onkyo NR801 vs. Denon avr3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by tonio, Sep 4, 2004.

1. tonio

tonio Auditioning

I am in the market to purchase a receiver and would like to ask anybody to help me decide which of the 3 receivers are would be best with regards to sound quality. I will be using polk lsi series for speakers.

2. Greg.R

Greg.R Extra

With LSi's you'll definitely want to go with seperates. Depending which models and how many LSi's you're using - and what volumes you like to listen at, a reciever alone may very well not be able to foot the bill.

Do yourself a favor and get a decent pre/pro and an amp that can do at least 150w into 4ohm, preferably more - and of course needs to be high current. I'll be using an H/K 330 with a Parasound 1203A to drive LSi7's and LSiC. Unfortunately it's not here yet so I can't recommend it, but just as an example of what should work well.

3. Mike Bassi

Mike Bassi Stunt Coordinator

If you are looking for great sound, then the Onkyo NR801 is the way to go. HK would be my next choice as the Denon is a very good receiver, but it's only decent at best for good quality sound. But you are the final judge and jury on this, if you can find a shop that has your speaker line, get them to hook up each receiver to those speakers and take a listen. You might want the Denon because of all the goodies it brings to the table, but IMHO it has the worst sound of all the higher dollar receivers, but that is my opinion and I'm sure there will be others that don't share this with me, that's why I say go check them all out on your speakers.

Cheers
    Mike

4. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I agree with Greg (Onkyo 801 over the other listed receivers), and with Mike (You will most likely need a separate amp - especially if you are using the larger LSi speakers (maybe not with the LSi7 though).