What's new

H/K 354 vs. Onkyo 806 (1 Viewer)

DavidAMennie

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody have any opinions between these two? I just bought a H/K PA2000 amp, so i'll be running that to my Sierra mains...I bought both, and can't decide which one I want...My center is a Sierra, and my surrounds are Ascend 170's

The Onkyo weighs 6lbs more, if that matters?

Thanks

itschuck2c

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Never a big fan of Ascend Acoustics but the 2 choices you offer for recievers are great. The HK will be warmer than Onkyo. The Onkyo has more connects than HK. Both are more than you need for Ascend Acoustics.
If it was me I would go for the HK and upgrade the mains/surrounds at a later date ( Paradigm comes to mind )

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know about sounding warm or not, but I can tell you that I went from an HK 325 to an Onkyo 705. I didn't notice much difference in the sound. After I ran Audyssey, now that's a different story....

I originally got the Onkyo because I needed HDMI.

Both are excellent. I like the Onkyo better because of Audyssey (beat EZ Set by a million
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
354 vs. 606. This would be very hard for me. We all have our own opinions about this stuff but if H/K has their act together (and I don't know if they do) I'd lean towards the 354. Actually, for me it might be the Marantz 5003. But that's no longer an option for you.

I agree that the difference in sound that receivers produce is small but it's a difference none the less. I still haven't bought a receiver that is more pleasing to my ears than my H/K 520, especially with the Infinity Beta's. Real sweet, for stuff in their price range. Even a 435 didn't sound quite the same. Nor an Onkyo 702, with it's version of Audyssey
. In fact, at that time I had both the 702 and 435 and felt the EzSet/EQ did a far better job. But as I said, we all have our opinions. But Audyssey is probably a little better today even though the 606 uses a lesser version of it.

But speaking of Audessey vs. EzSet/EQ... Can you really compare the Audyssey in a 705 to an Ez/Set on the 325 that doesn't have a room correction EQ? That's not really fair is it?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Not really, but it is the only thing the HK ships with. And who ever said I was fair?
You are correct, the 606 has MultEQ. The 705 has MultEQ XT. To get XT with the current Onkyo's, you have to move up to the 876.

DavidAMennie

Stunt Coordinator
I just upgraded my speakers to Ascend Sierra's, fabulous speakers...

Anyway, i'm sending both the H/K and Onkyo's back...I just ordered a Marantz 6003 for a killer price...Thanks for the replies

reierme

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Where did you purchase the marantz 6003 for the killer price? How much?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks