H/K 310 blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GuyL, May 16, 2002.

1. GuyL

GuyL Extra

Yesterday when I got home from work I turned on my system to find out I wasn't getting a picture on my tv, only a blue display. I have a dvd player as well as UTV routed through my receiver to my TV and neither would display video although the audio was working fine. Also the on screen display would work but if I turned the unit off and on, strange characters would briefly display on the tv. I tried everything I could think of including unhooking everything including my speakers, doing a processor reset and unplugging the unit for an hour but nothing seemed to help. I left it unplugged overnight and tried it again this morning and guess what, now it works fine. This has happened once before while I was watching tv, but that time unplugging the unit for 20 minutes corrected the problem. On both occasions, there were no thunderstorms or any evidence of a power surge. Another problem I have noticed which may be related is that even when the unit is unplugged, I can feel a current if I touch certain parts of the chassis or touch the bare ends of speaker wire that are connected to the receiver but not a speaker. The current is present even if nothing is connected to the receiver except for my UTV or TV through s-video cables. The device power cords are plugged into a surge protector and not the receiver. Is this a grounding problem or is it normal for current to be present throughout the receiver when another device is connected?

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

You have some kind of ground problem with your system or in your house & it can be VERY DANGEROUS! Get someone who knows what their doing to take a look at it as soon as possible. Don't want to scare you, but I don't want you to get hurt either! Again, HAVE IT LOOKED INTO!

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I had something similar happen a few years ago with a 50" Hitachi RPTV. Every once in a while, the audio would work but no video. Unplugging the set for a few minutes fixed the problem every time. The repair tech who fixed it told me it was a faulty power supply.

4. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    Actually, I had the exact same problem with a H/K 510 I bought last June. Started about a week after I bought it. Took their authorized shop almost 3 months to not fix it and I finally screamed loud enough to H/K corporate to have the authorized shop send it to H/K and H/K sent me a replacement. [​IMG] I don't know to this day what was wrong with that unit.
    In September, before I even got my replacement, I bought a Denon 4802 and sold off the new 510... [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear that you are having what sounds like the problem I had. I don't ususally don't hear to many negative comments about H/K. And, even though my experience left a sour taste in my mouth, I just figured that I just got them on a bad day so to speak and would still consider H/K on new equipment. I also have one of their CD-R decks and it's great.

5. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    Actually, I had the exact same problem with a H/K 510 I bought last June. Started about a week after I bought it. Took their authorized shop almost 3 months to not fix it and I finally screamed loud enough to H/K corporate to have the authorized shop send it to H/K and H/K sent me a replacement. [​IMG] I don't know to this day what was wrong with that unit.
    In September, before I even got my replacement, I bought a Denon 4802 and sold off the new 510... [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear that you are having what sounds like the problem I had. I don't ususally don't hear to many negative comments about H/K. And, even though my experience left a sour taste in my mouth, I just figured that I just got them on a bad day so to speak and would still consider H/K on new equipment. I also have one of their CD-R decks and it's great.

6. GuyL

GuyL Extra

Unfortunately, I have seen lot of negative comments on audioreview.com about H/K build quality. At least for their receivers anyway. Hopefully the problem won't get any worse and I can avoid putting it in the shop. As far as a ground problem, isn't there a device that can be plugged into a wall outlet that will indicate if there is an electrical problem?

7. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Damn; for a minute there I thought Micro$oft had a part in designing the 310 [​IMG]