h/k 130-$699 can. should i get something else?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by hwshi, Feb 16, 2004.

1. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

Just picked up H/K avr130 here in Toronto and before opening it i decided to read opinions on it. Seems like H/K products are overpriced here in Canada. Sure enough a quick glance at U.S. prices and it's priced at half of what i paid [​IMG]

Anyone have suggestions on what would get me more bang for my buck here in Toronto for the same price.Have to admit I also like the way it looks as opposed to a big black box. But in the end i will be listening to it , not ogling it.

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Well, I sell the AVR130 for less than $699, but the Canadian prices are indeed out of line with the US. In some cases, I can import from the US and end up paying less than the Canadian dealer cost!

I'm hearing that Yamaha products are priced much more in-line with US prices.

(oops! Typo on the $$...sorry 'bout that!)

3. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

JohnnyG i sent you a p.m.

4. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Overpriced like you wouldn't beleive! Same goes for nearly all electronics, unfortunately...

Only certain speakers that are made in Canada like Paradigm and some others are actually well priced in Canada (in fact Paradigm is cheaper here than in the US).

Other than that, you're paying between 150% to 300% of what people pay in the US.

Popular brands like Onkyo, H/K, JBL/Infinity and MANY others are so overpriced that the Canadian DEALER COST is MORE that the US MSRP (and this speaking after conversion of currency)!!! This means even if you could get the products at cost in Canada (as in if you "knew someone" or "worked at a place" or were yourself a dealer), a "regular Joe" in buying a product at a decent "street price" in the US is paying less than you.

If that 'ain't a kick in the pants I don't know what is.

I mean you can get better prices on H/K stuff than you can get at Canadian Best Lie and Futile Shop stores, but it still isn't going to be anywhere near as cheap as buying one in the US. It's sad and also funny--I laugh everytime I walk past a mid-range H/K reciever in Futile Shop that has a tag of like $1300-$1500--it is just ludicrous! I love telling salespeople "Listen dude I could buy and sell you TWO of those at the SAME price as you're selling ONE for; and, in the end I'D STILL be making money!!!" LOL.

If you're smart and don't mind going to some trouble you can actually buy in the US and save yourself a lot that way. The only thing is you have to actually physically buy/pick up the product in the US and also have some luck in avoiding customs bringing it back over.

You can even legitimately "import" certain things AND pay the tax/duties on them and sometimes you'll still end up at least saving something compared with buying one in the store.

The only thing that becomes a "hitch" is the warranty. VERY FEW manufacturers will honour warranty on a US-purchased product, in Canada. Now the US warranty would certainly still be valid but you'd have to go back into the US with it to get it repaired under warranty.

Companies like H/K (Harman), Onkyo, Sony, and almost all the others WILL NOT honour the warranty in Canada if you bought it in the US--this only increases the severity of that kick in the pants I mentioned above!

One of the execs at Onkyo Canada, the @#&@^@#%@! that he is, has actually gone so far as making it impossible to get ANY repair done on an Onkyo product having a serial number telling it was sold in the US!!! Even if you wanted to PAY for the service Onkyo won't do it!

So you can buy in the US and get it cheaper without a doubt, just be prepared to go back to the US if you have warranty issues. Otherwise as sad as the prices are you're gonna be buying here and paying $1200 for a $500 receiver [​IMG]

5. Howard_You

Howard_You Stunt Coordinator

You may want to check out Marantz and/or NAD, they seem to be reasonably priced in Canada. Maybe it's because Lenbrook Industries is in Canada. The Marantz SR5300 or SR6300 and NAD T742 are in the C$600-C$700 range, I think either of these would be superior to the H/K AVR130.

6. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

Roland I feel your pain, it is VERY frustrating.One of the reasons i have energy speakers, apart from them actually being good is the price. However I am not going to go on a road trip specifically for a reciever. And having my last 3 year old reciever die on me I am not willing to forgoe warranty protection. Thankfully it was a Costco purchase so i returned it no questions asked (gotta love Costco).Unfortunately all they carry now are HTIBs.

Howard i will look into Marantz and Nad recievers.

Must say however that the H/K sounds and looks good so far, but it still burns the see the price our neighbors are paying just a hundred kilometers away!

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I bought a 225 last year for 699+tax on boxing day. I'm still kinda kicking myself for not taking another path, but I quite enjoyed that receiver while it was in my system. [​IMG]

I think the new T743 runs $1000. I was at BBR today (well no, I was at the Manulife Centre because that Indigo had a book I wanted, and so I stopped in), and they had all the new NAD gear on a rack. $1400 for the T753 and around $2000 for the T763. They cleared out the T742s on boxing day for $449 and similarly with the Marantz SR4300s going for $499.

What you should look for are pre-outs. I'm killing myself for not getting even the lowest end Marantz, which has pre-outs. In the long run, excellent investment.

8. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

Drew wish my reciever had bit the bullet during boxing week[​IMG]

what you suggest is over my pricepoint of 699$.I will have a look today at Marantz.
    however pre-outs are not much of a concern as my theater room is rather small, and i have a baby on the way so it will be a while till i can crank it.

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Gee...aren't you just so clever.

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Best Buy doesn't sell H/K either...they aren't high end enough.

11. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting a H/K AVR 430 for about 1200$ CAD.

12. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

For that type of money did you look into the Yamaha RX-V1400/2400?

Kevin

13. Merimac Hamwich

Yeah, I was shown Yamaha. I dunno though, I haven't heard good things about Yamaha from the peeps I know. I also really trust HK, and am willing to dish out the moolah for their product.
    :

-edit-
    Also, from what I have seen, the Harman Kardon is better than the Yamaha. Could be wrong though.

14. RolandM

Okay so I made a mistake, but you get the picture. Point is I don't shop at these stores anyway, not for electronics at least. I was just talking about big chain stores like those. Best Lie and Futile Shop are the same store, they just carry slightly different lines in some cases. You can get Infinity speakers at Best Lie, you can't at Futile Shop IIRC. You can get H/K at Futile Shop, but not at Best Lie. I dunno how that makes them any different. Same owners, different salespeople, different looks, and *some* lines that differ.

Well whatever... You guys can go ahead and pay like 2-3 times the price for stuff--its your money [out the window!]. Fact is the prices are way too high here and you can get around that and buy the same brand you want, by buying in the US. Sorry if that hurts the feelings of local dealers, but really you guys (and consumers) should be yelling at the manufacturers for it. It's not every brand as people have pointed out... For those like H/K though, it isn't just like it is like $50-$100 more on a $500-$600 receiver, it is like double the price. [​IMG]

15. Merimac Hamwich

I dunno about that Roland. Seems like only a 200-300$ mark up to me.
    :

Harman Kardon AVR 430
    - $999 USD Suggested retail = Approx. $1300 CAD Suggested Retail

Futureshop H/K AVR 430
    - $1499.99 CAD

More money, yes. Double to triple the price? No.

There is still hope for us Canadians.
    [​IMG]

16. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

*ahem*...since when did MSRP ever mean anything? This thing goes for $649 at JandR, which converted is approx $850CND. The FutureShop price is 1.76 times the JandR price after conversion...almost twice.

Point made.

17. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

After reading your post Roland, I'll say this. If FutureShop and Best Buy sold crap, they'd go out of business. They actually make an awful lot of money selling Prima/Apex/etc. And because they'll match and beat anyone else's price, why wouldn't you shop there (unless it's too low end for you). I got a full set of Athena speakers from FutureShop, and for an amount that I'm not even going to post on these forums (I can't do so ethically).

Buying from the US often voids your warranty (in Canada). Remember you also have to factor in shipping, import fees, taxes, whatever. In some cases, it's not a whole lot cheaper. Even BorderFree, for it's wonderful pay no brokerage or duty makes up for that by charging $90 shipping and $20 handling (or some outrageous amount like that) to ship a receiver that would cost $50 via USPS or about $40 by courier. I've bought online before (twice now for HT components), and I will again, just not for high dollar items. Your level of risk aversion may differ.

18. Howard_You

Howard_You Stunt Coordinator

Yup, it all basically comes down to how much the warranty is worth to you. The AVR430 is actually not too bad at about C$1400 locally (including taxes) vs. C$1150 on-line, $250 is steep but not insane. However for the AVR230 you'd be looking at C$1000 locally vs. C$600 on-line, definately not worth it.

19. RolandM

Well I never said Futile Shop and Best Lie sold crap, just that they sell stuff overpriced. Some stuff is okay priced, other stuff is not. Accessories are the WORST having 300%-500%+ markup on them--that's why the salespeople always try to get you to buy USB cables, ethernet cables, speaker wire, cell phone accessories etc. All because on the stuff they do sell cheap, sometimes they don't make a lot of money on it. They can have an advertised printer for something like $150 which has a cost to them of $140 or more (sometimes they even sell stuff at a loss but that is mostly DVDs and CDs), but then they try to sell you a $2 USB cable for like $30 and that is how they make their money back [​IMG] LOL

And while you can often get good prices in the big sales, or from open box/clearance stuff, or if you're making a larger purchase, etc. just walking in and buying a single item like a receiver or a set of speakers isn't usually going to get you any kind of deal at all!

An example: This weekend Best Lie is going to have a sale on JBL E60s for a seemingly large $300 off! I'm pretty sure the regular price is $799/pr [​IMG] So that makes for a $499 price tag. Not bad, add your tax and you're at $575 CDN. But a pair of these you can get from Best Lie USA online for about $300 US, shipped inside the US. So that is like about $405 CDN or so. A savings of $170. Sure that might be chump change to some, but not to poor old me [​IMG]

AND LET'S NOT FORGET the Best Lie price is a "special" 4 hour sale or something that is Sunday only!!! Oooh! A $300 big dollars off! Whatever! Sounds great at first--I was even thinking of going for the E60s at first, but really it isn't so good. But I'm sure ppl are probably going to be in there like mad buying stuff they think is this great deal when it isn't--at least not IMO.

Same thing with Boxing Day. Only a few items are actually well priced and at that only the first few customers in the door actually get those items at those prices. To me its a joke. I can order a lot of the same items any day of the year and get BETTER prices and not have the hassle of the crowds, etc.

And forget about Border-Free and getting stuff mailed into Canada, you can do it without that and pay no tax/duty at all--trust me [​IMG] Sure it may take some gas money, but if I'm saving near to $200 or more, I think the bucks in gas isn't going to kill me. Even if you end up having to pay tax/duty in the end the worst you can do is probably the in-store price less the tax or somewhere in between (in most cases). I mean you're still saving money, though some would not go to the trouble, I would and I have and I've saved a LOT over the years.

But yes the warranty is an issue. For me it's just another couple trip to the US to take them back and have them repaired, a little bit of a gamble that nothing goes wrong as well.

If you lived in a border-city (as I did for several years but not anymore) it is all the more convenient--really it is just like going to a local store but paying WAY less [​IMG]

20. RolandM

Yeah I know about the low-cost brands. I have no clue what is the matter with people. People buying Prima, Apex and "AMW" (WTF is that??? LOL) DVD players by the thousands. I feel like telling people who have one in their hands--listen dude spend the extra money on a Panasonic or something better. That thing is gonna be crap to begin with and it's gonna break in two days. I don't actually ever tell anyone that but I feel like it! LOL.

And well I do shop there, just not for big items. CDs, DVDs, other loss-leaders [​IMG], and sometimes other stuff. Like I said *sometimes* there are good prices on things. Can't beat their returns policy either...