H/K 125 vs Yamaha 5660

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MichaelZ, Sep 2, 2003.

1. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Extra

which is better?? any comments?

also how much better is the H/k 225? is it that much more power? (I do need a fair bit of power, i'm using cerwin vega E-712's for my main speakers)

2. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I believe the 5660 is 6.1 capable i.e. DTS-ES and DD-EX and the HK receivers below the 325 are still 5.1. I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong!

3. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I have the 125 and it is only 5.1. If that suits your needs, it is a great receiver. I get great sound from it. I like it quite a bit. The 125 has plenty of power although my needs are very modest.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well I currently have the HK AVR-225 and compared it to the the full line of Yamaha. To me the HK was just a better reciever even though it wasn't 6.1 which is something I was sort of looking foward to... but in reality I would have no use for a 6.1 setup anyways.

The HK AVR-225 offers no "big" advantages if that is what your looking for an for a simple Home Theater it is all you will need. Something else is that HK uses much more higher quality parts than most other companies which is one reason there recievers run a little more than most other companies.

I also found the HK to actually give out much more power than the Yamaha. When comparing both I put them both up to -20db and though they both were very loud the HK just sounded much cleaner and a bit louder.

Honestly even for your speakers I think the AVR-125 will have more than enough power to give your speakers a nice amount of volume to them.

I would recommend listening to both before you make a decision because you may like the HK better than the Yamaha or you might like the Yamaha better. One thing I think everyone likes on the HK is the front panel which is very pleasing.

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

6. ChrisLazarko

Well Nick this is just one thing I have heard from MORE than one sales rep from several different stores that specialize in audio/home theater is that HK will try to "perfect" there products such as each PCB board has to be near perfect and not like some other manufacturers where they will just slap in one with some defects here and there even though it will still operate well with small defects.

Compared to some other companies for the price HK uses very high quality power supplies in there units, and another thing is that they include lots of video in's and outs as well as digital in's and outs even on there lowest receiever unlike say Yamaha which until you start spending $500 or more will you start to get some decent amounts.

About the sound, you are right but the HK is rated lower than the Yamaha so in reality the Yamaha should be louder at that level... basically what I was trying to get to.

To every person it is different though, and in the beginning I had no intent of even buying HK, I was looking at all Yamaha's but I ended up with the HK.

7. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Extra

well now i got some thinking to do

go for the h/k 225 or yamaha 5660. h/k will probably have slightly better sound quality, and yamaha might be a bit louder, hrmm, dunno....for my own listening i'd go for quality. but i do throw house parties where people want to dance and they like it loud. hrmmm decisions decisions.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Sound and Vision showed that a rated 75W RXV740 Yamaha put out only 38 or so REAL watts with all channels driven. The H/K ratings are all pretty much true.

Yamaha gives you oogles of DSP modes, which you may or probably won't need. It also sounds a bit on the bright side. The H/K is a much fuller sound, with a more neutral or even slightly warm sound.

Make sure you know the return policy before you buy so that if either doesn't work out with your system properly, you can return it. Or see if they can loan you a demo for a weekend..

10. ChrisLazarko

Wow that is amazing to know that the Yamaha only put out 38Watts of power. I'm definantly glad I got my HK over the Yamaha.