H.D.T.V.; Heartache, Disappointment, Torture, & Villains.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed St. Clair, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

O' we of the 'highend', how we must 'suffer'!

J6P goes to any old B&M can pick-up a sat. dish & rec. for $50 [sometimes two rec.] with free install.

However, if we want HDTV it's $500+ for the reciever [the govt. thought it would be under $100. And what did the early adaptors pay, over $1000!?!].

$150 for the HDTV dish [and try to find a unit with three LNB's!].

And $150 to install [or $50 & frozen fingers for DIY].

So J6P is taken care of for $50 and we 'have to' put together our "package" almost against the wish of the providers for $800+!

Been though six stores & on the phone/net for parts of three days.

Hope the Winter Games are worth all this, and just maybe even catch the Super Bowl in 'poorman's' HDTV.

Any stories out there with happy ending?

Or an even more hellish route?

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

All I can tell you is once you see some of the HD programming out there it will all be worth it..HD is nothing short of spectacular...

3. DanP

DanP Agent

It's all relative I guess. J6P wasnt getting a basic DirecTv system for 50 bucks the first couple years they came out. They listed at 750.00 at first for an entry level system. Same with DVD players. They may be 79.95 at Walmart now, but they werent a couple, 3 years ago.
    I actually have 3 HD STB's from different providers. But it's well worth it to me to be able to choose from CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, HBO, Showtime, HDNet and HD PPV. Since I'm only watching for 3-4 hours per night, theres never a night where there isnt something on in HD. Not to mention still having to make time for DVD's. Or vice versa! [​IMG]

4. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

If with you, Ed. Finally saved enough for an HDTV, but just can't seem to bring myself to spend ~$800 when none of the shows I consistently watch are in HDTV (I pretty much never stray from NBC and FOX).

Pieter

5. JohnD_R_Rocha

I've had the same feelings about this HD stuff since I took the dive for my Tosh57H81 back in October. I bought the TV + a decent Yamaha HTS at the same time and recently added an XBox and finished wood entertainment center to boot.
    Total spent for HDTV setup thus far: >$6000
    And of course to top it all off, I can only watch standard OTA and DirecTV since I dont have an HD STB.
    My hope since October has been that the STBs would be dropping in prices after the holidays. No sign of that happening yet. A sales rep at a local high-end home theater store said he thought prices may drop in Feb. but no guarantees. *shrug* I'd really like to invest my INCOME TAX RETURN on HD DirecTV dish + STB receiver. My wife has even given the THUMBS UP! [​IMG] I'll be pissed if I buy now and get screwed with a price drop a month or two later, or even a newer model coming out that I could buy at the same price.
    Last thoughts: My brother recently took the plunge on a Mitsu Diamond 65" + a Mitsu HD STB + HD DirecTV dish.
    ** For installation he went to a CircuitCity and got one of the J6P deals: 2 DTV dishes + 2 basic receivers + installation for $100 minus $50 installation mail-in rebate.

6. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Thank's too all. There is hope.

After seeing HD at the local B&M, OTA, it's a must have.

Can't worry about prices going down, cause I am all about the 2002 Winter Games. And even looking forward to the SB upconverted from 480i to 480p in 16:9.

Just have to look at it like what would it have cost & what would I have got one, two, or three years ago. So, I am sure it well be better in six months, like three LNB's for 110, but I 'need' it now!

7. DanP

DanP Agent

And a tip when looking to buy an HD receiver, check around for an open box unit. Alot of times stores have those because people bought them, but couldnt get an OTA signal reliably or whatever the reasons. You can get a couple hundred bucks off that way...sometimes more.

8. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Got my dish from Circut City OB. Was out of stock new, but I saw three OB units stacked on the floor. Picked the one with everything still sealed [except the box of coarse] that was missing one LNB. Just grap another LNB from one of the other boxes. All done with two salespersons there, as I 'knew' as much as they did about all this, so they kind of let me run the show.

Only thing was the salesperson said the store policy for electronic OB's was 20% off. I don't believe I have ever bought anything at CC before. So I had no backround at all with them.

But 20% off OB doesn't seem like much.

Found an OB toslink cable same night, 50% off, salesperson said 'that' was differant.

9. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

Sitting in Dallas. I just hope my ATT digital cable will follow suit and start providing HDTV soon. In Houston, they can get cbs, abc, nbc, pbs, showtime & hbo in HD. Here, directTV only provided 2 HD channel - HBO & HDNet and I hate to deal with all the connections, antenna issues to intergrate a system with OTA & DirectTV.

10. DarrellP

DarrellP Stunt Coordinator

I guess I was just lucky, I had Dish for a couple of years, moved and never reactivated for, like 6 months, then saw the $250 rebate Dish had last year for "new" subscribers, so I bought the whole ball of wax (after rebate) for around $299. BTW, I signed up under my wifes name (different) and since I had moved with a new address, phone #, etc, Dish didn't know I was a current account.[​IMG]

11. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

They do now![​IMG]

12. Marianne

Marianne Supporting Actor

Overheard at Best Buy:
    Clerk: "Digital Cable only has a few HDTV channels, but with DirectTV they are all HDTV". [​IMG]