Gyration Mobile Keyboard / Mouse

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Daren Welsh, May 8, 2003.

1. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

After poking around Compusa for a bit today, I stumbled upon a display promoting the Gyration RF keyboard and mouse set. It didn't take much time for me to realize this was really what I needed for my HTPC [​IMG] In fact, I'm typing this post with the very keyboard I bought today. It connects to your PC via USB and uses RF with a range they claim up to 25 feet. I've used it across my apartment at about 20-25 feet and it works just fine. The really cool part about this combo is the mouse. It doubles as an optical mouse and a gyroscopic mouse. So if I'm near a hard surface, I can use the optical mouse, but if I'm kicked back and I don't feel like sitting up, I can just hold a button on the underside of the mouse and acivate the gyro mode. Then, with subtle twists of my wrist, the mouse pointer goes where I motion. It's very intuitive and has great response time. For $100 (about the same as a wireless optical setup from MS or Logitech), I'm very pleased. Oh yeah, and the mouse has a port to set it on when it's not in use to recharge its battery [​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yes, this is the wireless combo of choice for longer distances. The combo suite was on sale for $80 at Microcenter for the longest time but it seems the price went up and $100 is the best you can get it for nowadays.

I use a Logitech MX700 myself because it's so sexy and it has a little less lag than when I tested the Gyration. The downside is I have to keep the receiver/charger 2-3' away to keep it about 95% close to lag-free. But I run a USB extension to my coffee table anyway so it works well with my setup. Otherwise I'd return it as any amount of lag with mice is a big pain.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

About 2 months ago I bought a set of these for a cousin of mine and they worked out great for him. He ended going with the 100' versions because he does presentations that often put him in a room with a distance greater then 25'. Now he wants the Presentation control which has a 100' distance too. Everything that he has said has been praise.

KyleS

4. bill_slenter

bill_slenter Auditioning

I just purchased the Gyration mouse and keyboard set. Perfect companion to an HTPC, and great operating range for a living room! The accuracy and sensitivity of the gyro mouse must be experienced to be believed! The keyboard and mouse also have the benefit of being small, black and stylish, so they blend in well with living room decor.