What's new

GWTW and Wizard of OZ again in 2013 (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Ethan Riley said:
If indeed the WOZ outtakes no longer exist (there are old and scurrilous rumors to the contrary) one thing they can try that probably won't get people in an uproar is that they could try to recreate them with CGI. I don't think people would mind an animated version of the Jitterbug and Ding Dong! reprise scene--they have the complete soundtrack as far as I know. They could try it anyway, just for fun, and to make something different for a change. I also wish they'd include the Scarecrow dance scene in 1080p this time around, or restore it so that it looks like the rest of the movie. It didn't look very good in the last release.
Even better find some major filmmaker who is an obsessive fan of the film to supervise that recreation, like what Peter Jackson did with King Kong. Don't put it in the movie, but just have it there as a fun bonus.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Peter Jackson and his wife completely rewrote the script to King Kong. The motivations and underlying meaning are drastically changed. The action, plotting and characters are drastically changed. Jackson's film is a deconstruction of the original. Take another look.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Anyone have any tips on how to I can protect the 70th Anniversary velvet box from wear and tear? It's starting to fray in the corners a little - it's one of my prized possessions and wanna keep it in tip top shape. Thanks

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
cineMANIAC said:
Anyone have any tips on how to I can protect the 70th Anniversary velvet box from wear and tear? It's starting to fray in the corners a little - it's one of my prized possessions and wanna keep it in tip top shape. Thanks
I'm not 100% sure of the size but I'd use something like a larger comic book or magazine bag or any type of heavier duty plastic sleeve. It'll keep the dust off of it and probably stop any normal shelf wear too.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
eric scott richard said:
I didn't post my proposal to start a debate. It's mine. I am going to delete it. That was a rude comment.
That's a shame, because it made interesting reading and offered a bar for WB to either reach or surpass. At the risk of further offending, one has to develop a pretty thick skin if one puts one's heart and soul out there in a creative endeavour. Being rejected is largely par for the course, with outright being ignored the mildest form of rejection. There are always people ready to be rude and one cannot afford to be dishearted by one person who decides to be a complete cock. :)

Thanks. I was just thinking that....I need to get tougher if I'm going to be involved in creative endeavors.

To hell with negativity.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
There's contrary, and then there's insulting. I think Eric took Rick's generalization to be a personal slight, but the sentiment stands - if you're going to do something creative, always be ready for somebody to shoot it down. It's human nature.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I didn't see anything harsh in Rick's post, just a contrary opinion. I too favor simplicity in menus to facilitate quick access to the actual content.
No one disc is going to ever make every person happy, some love to play with an elaborate menu and that's fine. I find it irritating but not the end of the world. I suppose my issue is that the gentleman presumes to say "all fans will love this version of an oz disc"
Hopefully we can... discuss... our differing views in an adult way without being overly harsh personally and also without excessive umbrage-taking.

Switching gears to GWTW, other than restoring the cropped shots to the film, I'm not sure what more they can do to make this film look better...unless they are going for the 1939 look to the transfer.

Received a very nice rejection letter today by a guy I admire at WB. He is a class act. As long as WB fixes the video glitches, and finally presents the ORIGINAL, UNALTERED MONO for the first time since the first dvd, I will be happy. Anything else would be icing on the cake. With GWTW, I would love for them to fix the cropped shots, even if they have to digitally stitch them together using what they have.

I think they have the shots from early prints. I remember reading about the last restoration and they said they used them as a guide for composition for the blu ray release. I know they wouldn't match perfectly and would look bad, but maybe with today's tools they could take the portions of the shots missing and match just those portions to what we have. The famous pull back shots under the tree at Tara are compromised now. Gerald and Scarlett should be towards the bottom of the frame, but they are almost in the center now.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
Richard--W said:
Peter Jackson and his wife completely rewrote the script to King Kong. The motivations and underlying meaning are drastically changed. The action, plotting and characters are drastically changed. Jackson's film is a deconstruction of the original. Take another look.
I think Moe is referring to Jackson's reconstruction of the 'lost' spider scene in the 1933 King Kong bonus features, not the remake. That it might be interesting to take that approach to the jitterbug sequence.

"The Jitterbug" was cut for a good reason...it broke into the tension of the scene. That being said, the deletion of "The Triumphal Procession" was a mistake IMO. It's short, provides a spectacular number in the Emerald City, and keeps the music going....as it is now, the film's last third is without a musical number.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Eddie W. said:
I think Moe is referring to Jackson's reconstruction of the 'lost' spider scene in the 1933 King Kong bonus features, not the remake. That it might be interesting to take that approach to the jitterbug sequence.
Yes, I was. I forgot about his remake which is why Richard's reply confused me lol

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What they should do is cut the "Went with the Wind" sketch from the Carol Burnett Show into the actual movie. Then I might re-buy it.

If they don't fix the cropped shots (and I understand if they can't), I won't re-purchase GWTW, as I'm happy with the version out now. If they fix the glitches and mono track with Oz, I will rebuy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks