What's new

GWTW and Wizard of OZ again in 2013 (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/60#post_3963850
Since they won't read it, would there be a problem with me sharing it with those who want to read it?
I would presume that you have the right to post whatever you like.

But if something arrives on a future edition that seems to come from one of your ideas, I wouldn't send in the attorneys.

RAH

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
About 20 years ago when Doug Pratt's "The Laserdisc Newsletter" was my mainstream of information concerning video reviews and upcoming releases, I decided to write a letter (with a stamp, this was before I even knew what a modem was) to George Feltenstein at MGM suggesting that if/when The Fearless Vampire Killers was ever released on laserdisc, that it include the alternate cartoon opening that was added to front end of the butchered, American version as a bonus.
I never received (nor did I expect) a reply. But many months later when the UPS man delivered my hot off the press FVK widescreen LD (in a gatefold jacket no less) I was thrilled to discover that it indeed had the cartoon opening included, as well as a trailer, and a featurette about Sharon Tate.
Was my letter responsible for this? I'll never know. But it never hurts to ask for something.

My intentions were never to claim anything. I sincerely created this proposal because it was something I was passionate about seeing produced, for myself and for others. The thrill of seeing it on shelves would have been enough for me. It's just sad that it probably won't happen because as the ultimate Oz fan, this would have been the definitive edition for everyone involved and a lasting tribute to the film. Oh, well. I am still very proud of the proposal and consider it my masterpiece.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/60#post_3963892
My intentions were never to claim anything. I sincerely created this proposal because it was something I was passionate about seeing produced, for myself and for others. The thrill of seeing it on shelves would have been enough for me. It's just sad that it probably won't happen because as the ultimate Oz fan, this would have been the definitive edition for everyone involved and a lasting tribute to the film. Oh, well. I am still very proud of the proposal and consider it my masterpiece.
Can't you tell us what it was since Warner Bros aren't interested. ?

Deleted by poster.

I wasn't expecting them to go with everything...but some of the ideas are neat. I'm fine with the rejection, but I can guarantee that the final product won't be as spectacular as my proposed one. Such is life.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Robert Harris said:
But if something arrives on a future edition that seems to come from one of your ideas, I wouldn't send in the attorneys.
RAH
Mr. Harris has an excellent point here.
A big reason why the studios are reluctant to deal with idea from fans is that they run the risk of being sued if, by happenstance or design, it later seems that the ideas have been acted upon. People sending in their ideas need to keep this in mind. A letter to the fan saying, "Thanks, we may do something like this." can make a compelling argument in court. There have been many instances of lawsuits on these matters.
So, if your ideas are rejected or your materials sent back without comment, it is neither personal nor a comment on the ideas themselves.

Understood. I hope everyone enjoys reading the proposal. It was fun to put together, and most of it came from memory.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/322693/gwtw-and-wizard-of-oz-again-in-2013/60#post_3963899
I can attach the file:

I wasn't expecting them to go with everything...but some of the ideas are neat. I'm fine with the rejection, but I can guarantee that the final product won't be as spectacular as my proposed one. Such is life.

Some interesting stuff there, i have a feeling Warner Bros may well be fixing the glitches you mention, i agree with including the original mono audio in lossless, not sure what benefits a 7.1 track would have but maybe it would open the soundstage a little and since they already have a 5.1 re-mix then i wouldn't object to a 7.1, a 3D version is interesting, i doubt i would watch it but maybe it would get some of the younger audience to watch the film.

The wire removal, i am actually in favour of it, i have no objection to them using seamless branching though and including the wires and letting people choose.

My suggestion to Warner Bros would be to put some money aside for the invention of a time machine, go back to 1939 and recover the Jitterbug scene, i like that song, after they have done that they can then go back to 1933 and rescue the original negatives of King Kong and save the spider pit scene.

I'm most proud of my menu ideas (similar to what Disney did with the first dvd of "Snow White") and the box design.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
It's always been studios policy to only accept items sent through an agent only, for the above reasons. I know the theatre booking manager @ MGM I never thought of asking him about something like this. He was the district mgr. for JF Theatres for all the downtown theatres in Baltimore durning the 1960's. I could try to call him to see if he could put in a word about your ideas?

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Excellent sounding proposal. I'd certainly buy an edition of the movie that followed that plan. I have a feeling a 3D edition is almost a dead cert.
One slight suggestion/observation - a description of a menu screen is fine, but a picture paints a thousand words. ;)

Mark, thanks...but I wanted to make certain they got my idea of an interactive screen. Plus, I couldn't create any visuals because I didn't want to violate copyright. Thanks for the feedback!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
FoxyMulder said:
Some interesting stuff there, i have a feeling Warner Bros may well be fixing the glitches you mention, i agree with including the original mono audio in lossless, not sure what benefits a 7.1 track would have but maybe it would open the soundstage a little and since they already have a 5.1 re-mix then i wouldn't object to a 7.1, a 3D version is interesting, i doubt i would watch it but maybe it would get some of the younger audience to watch the film.
The wire removal, i am actually in favour of it, i have no objection to them using seamless branching though and including the wires and letting people choose.
My suggestion to Warner Bros would be to put some money aside for the invention of a time machine, go back to 1939 and recover the Jitterbug scene, i like that song, after they have done that they can then go back to 1933 and rescue the original negatives of King Kong and save the spider pit scene.
If indeed the WOZ outtakes no longer exist (there are old and scurrilous rumors to the contrary) one thing they can try that probably won't get people in an uproar is that they could try to recreate them with CGI. I don't think people would mind an animated version of the Jitterbug and Ding Dong! reprise scene--they have the complete soundtrack as far as I know. They could try it anyway, just for fun, and to make something different for a change. I also wish they'd include the Scarecrow dance scene in 1080p this time around, or restore it so that it looks like the rest of the movie. It didn't look very good in the last release.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
eric scott richard said:
I'm most proud of my menu ideas (similar to what Disney did with the first dvd of "Snow White") and the box design.
I'm glad you're proud of your menu ideas, but the menus of the Snow White Blu-ray infuriated me! I don't want to go on a treasure hunt to find what I want to watch. I really wanted to see all the Silly Symphonies and Mickey Mouse cartoons that were in the supplements but it literally took me hours to find them all. They were hidden like Easter eggs.
As for a 3D version of Oz, would that include the wires rendered in 3D so you could really get a sense of being on the set? :D

That's why I included the menu map in the package. The point of the menus as proposed, is to immerse the viewer in the filming of the movie scene by scene, as if you were there at the time of filming. Each section pertains to that scene. I'm comparing my ideas to the first dvd of Snow White, not the blu-ray. As far as the 3D, I don't really have an opinion on how that is presented as it is not something I would watch. I included that version in my proposal because I think it will happen.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I for one am not interested in being "immersed in the viewing of the movie scene by scene." I wasn't "there at the time of the filming," and wouldn't want to be (all in favor of being alive just in time for World War II, please raise your hands!). Just give me the movie with an easy way to see the extras. Simple is best. Too many menus now are just ego trips for designers trying to impress each other.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
People need to relax as Warner is going to do whatever they please with these upcoming releases.

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
People need to relax as Warner is going to do whatever they please with these upcoming releases.

Agreed. In fact, I expect fans will be very happy the studio is revisiting this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks