guys. what do you think about this sub... incredible bargain?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

2. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I've read that it's pretty impressive for it's price if you stuff it and have it placed in your room correctly. Just my thought.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I had the SW-10. It ended up being a boomy type sub. One thing you would definately have to do is stuff it with polyfill to tighten up the bass.

4. Manuel Delaflor

Most people say (in audioreview) that in fact is on the boomy side, and that stuffing it helps a lot. Still, if one have large speakers and set the crossover to the lowest the "boomyness" should also dissapear.

So, it appears to be an incredible bargain for good bass from around 25Hz to 40Hz, not bad at all!

You can't even buy a 200watts amplifier for that price! let alone a 15 inch driver and the cabinet. I wish there were profesional reviews on the net.

5. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I suspect that you'll get similar performance to the Sony SA-WM40--definitely stuffed with polyfill or the contents of an old pillow. I'd actually considered the AudioSource at one point, but went with the Sony because of the documented tweakability. So far, I've been very happy with the $140 I paid for it--pretty flat in-room response down to about 30Hz (with RS SPL meter). However, if you're going to be using this for music, I'd suggest springing more for a better sub. I find that subs in this price range (stuffed or not) just aren't clean and tight enough for good old 2 channel listening. For now, the trade-off is acceptable to me and my wallet. Later on, I'll probably move up to an SVS, HSU or Adire.

6. Manuel Delaflor

"I suspect that you'll get similar performance to the Sony SA-WM40"

Apparently it will deliver an aditional 5Hz extension to the 30Hz bottom on the Sony, and that is ALWAYS welcomed...

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

8. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

I disagree about the partsexpress recommendation for amp. Those things are such huge pieces of crap. I have that exact one right now running an old Paradigm passive sub...what a wicked hum on it. Demoed a friend's Parasound monoblock which is rated at only ~150W (as compared to this 250W) that he supposedly got for ~$170 and had no hum. Moreover, I never knew what my sub was capable of until I paired it up with the Parasound.

Stay away from those over-rated (as in Wattage), [email protected] Taiwanese sub amps...and look for a used Parasound, Marantz, or whatever monoblock. I've been eyeing some on ebay and they come in under $200. I'm trying to switch over, but I can't pawn this damn lame amp over to anybody.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Steven,

Sounds like you need a cheater plug to eliminate that hum on the amp. Also, this amp is identical to what Adire Audio sells and uses in some of their finished subs and they are very good. The only difference in the two is Adire uses a different rumble filter. Also, AudioXpress (formerly SpeakerBuilder Magazine) tested several plate amps last year, including this one, and found that it's power rating was a bit conservative.

These are quality amps. It's possible that you got a defective unit and you also may have one that does not have the 6dB of boost at 35Hz disabled. A flat response from an amp is desired most of the time. That could be why you prefer the monoblock amp to this one.

Many people are using these amps with great results so there must be something unique to your situation that has caused you to feel otherwise.

Brian

10. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

11. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I've had an AudioSource SW Four for about 6-7 years. 150wpc with a 12" driver. Bought it at BB for around $299 back then. Have been very happy with it. Stuffing it a few years ago really tightened it up. I've since replaced the blown driver (oldest son doesn't understand distortion/bottoming) with an MB Acoustics aluminum car sub, got a demo model for $30. SPL is very good and it goes pretty low. I've actually had to place a 60# dumbbell on the sub as the cabinet was starting to resonate pretty badly.

I think you'd be VERY pleased with the SW-15, especially for $200. Good luck...Mike

12. Manuel Delaflor

Phil

Hey! I know very well your site, hehe one of my references and its on my "audio and video" bookmarks folder ;-)

I knew you have this sub, but wasn't aware of your mini-review. I liked it.

You don't mention anything about frequencies, have you tested how deep it goes with specific tones? (I mean, 50hz, 30Hz, 20Hz and such)?

Several people reports around 25Hz, which is not bad at all (its a two hundred bucks sub!) but I wonder if it goes down to 20Hz with some output or its limits are those 25hz.

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Manuel - I'm glad that my website is important enough for you to bookmark! As Eeyore (from Winnie the Pooh) would say, "thanks, . . . for noticing me!"

14. Manuel Delaflor

Thanks Phil, your site is quite informative, you should be proud.
    Let me tell you an experience I had in order to see if you agree. I have two subs, the Klipsch KSW12 and a Kenwood SW303 (one 8 inch driver on a ported enclosure). I made some test tones using "Cool Edit Pro" (good software by the way) and then recorded them on a CD and on an MP3 device. With the tones, and only by hearing the subs, I can feel power in the Kenwood to about 30Hz, to about 26Hz on the KSW12 and just yesterday went to a store to listen to the baddest sub in the Klipsch house, the mighty RSW15.
    This RSW is able to put (by ears/body feeling) the same amount of power from around 40Hz to 21Hz, below that the power is less and less.
    I know this is not a good test, but for me is enough, I feel the practical limits of the subs just by hearing them play individual tones from 50Hz to 16Hz.
    Now, if you can do some tests with your brothers equipment... that would be terrific!!! [​IMG]