What's new

Guys, I need you to recommend a hub for my game systems ... (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
I don't know if this is a PC question or a gaming hardware question, but I'm going to post it here because it's about hooking my game systems up to my router ...

I currently have a 4-port router, of which 3 ports are being used 2 PC's and a laptop. I'm going to go broadband on my PS2, XBox and GameCube, so I'm going to need a hub because I only have one free port left. Can any of you guys recommend an inexpensive hub to use?

Freddy C.

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using a Netgear hub myself... nothing special, was priced right and has worked flawlessly for me. I'm using this one currently along with my Linksys router.
If you're looking for something with a little growing room you could go with the 8 port version, buy.com has it for $56.05 here.
Both of those models have an uplink.
Of course there's probably nothing wrong with the Lynksys ones either if you're concerned whether they match cosmetically or not. I think they even have a 5port hub that looks just like the router.

Frederick

Second Unit
Cool. The Netgear one looks like exactly what I need. I'm just going to use it for gaming. Thanx, Dave ...

Freddy C.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Linksys is also a good brand for an affordable price.

But, you can't go wrong with Netgear either.

Glen

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I use Netgear, had too many weird issues with Linksys.

Also I would recommend spending a little bit more and getting a switch instead of a hub.

Frederick

Second Unit
Well, my router is a Linksys, and I've had zero problems from it. But Kelly, why would you recommend a switch instead of a hub?

Freddy C.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Generally, a switch is a better because it creates a seperate path for each datastream. However, you're never going to run into a problem using a hub,becuase your data rates are so low, and the chances are miniscule that you'll be using more than two ports at any given time. Save your money, go with the hub.

I always prefer Netgear products to Linksys. I've had too many Linksys quirks to deal with. However, Netgear doesn't yet make anything like the WET11, which I'm going to use when it's time to put my consoles on the network.

Oscar Saenz

Stunt Coordinator
I currently use this switcher from NetGear and have not had any problems. I have my Dreamcast, XBox, GCN, and PS2 hooked up to the switcher which is hooked up to my Linksys Router. So far, so good...

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I just bought a 5-port 10/100 Switch (Linksys), mated to my 4-port Netgear router, and both work flawlessly with each other.

I normally recommend Netgear exclusively for routers, but for switches and hubs, you won't notice a difference either way.

James St

Supporting Actor
I have a Linksys 10/100 5 port switcher (EZXS55W Ver. 2) in my living room as well. It has worked flawlessly for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks