What's new

Guys - How much would you spend on a pair of shoes? (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I never skimp on shoes.
Redback (the best workboot in the world), $149
Dr. Martin, 8 hole boots, for winter-time, about $139
Airwalk , for spring/summer evening, $60
Birkenstock , sandals, for summertime, about $109
the way my feet feel at the end of a day....priceless,
when it come to shoes/boots, you really get what you pay for

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It's worthwhile to get good dress shoes, like Allan Edmonds or Hawthorne Classics ($200-$225). I have four pairs that I rotate through, and with resoling, they've lasted me over ten years and still have a lot of life in them. Cheaper shoes can't be repaired as readily and if you're using them frequently will cost more in the long run. If it's just for occasional wear, you might be able to get by with a cheaper shoe, but it kind of depends on where you see yourself in 10 years.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Depends on how much you plan to wear the shoes. I wear business dress every day, so I have no hesitation in spending ~$300 (less on sale) for shoes (I buy Allen Edmonds for dress, but there are others). I want to be as comfortable as Bill is in his sandals.

If you are only going to wear dress shoes on rare occasions, why spend big bucks?

I spend a reasonable amount on whatever I wear regularly. Why be uncomfortable?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I guess I am THE cheapest person responding to this question. None of my shoes are over $40.00/pair.

-Black leather Skechers casual shoes (from Italy) that I wear to work almost everyday, $29.95/pair

-New Balance running shoes, $39.95/pair

-Asics running shoes, $14.95/pair

-Nike off-road running shoes, $39.95/pair

-5 year old Reebok walking shoes (now grass cutting shoes), $39.95

My previous work shoes were $85.00/pair, but I wore them til they split open at the soles. I can't imagine myself paying anything over $100.00/pair for shoes. Maybe that's because I used to work for Payless Shoes....

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
After many years of looking for the 'right' shoe for my foot. I finally found a model of Ecco shoes that are perfect. They're $150 and money well spent.

I could see going to $200 for boots and $100 on sneakers.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Lately, I've been addicted to the Cole Haan shoes with Nike technolgy. They look like casual/dress shoes but wear like sneakers. The run anywhere between $150 - $250 a pair.

Frederick

Second Unit
My gym shoes can cost upwards of $200. I only wear Nikes, and I have a size 12 foot. Dress shoes, about the same, depending on the style. We're business casual at my job, so the shoes I have on now were about $75-$100, I think. I've had them for about a year ...

Freddy C.

EdR

Second Unit
They aren't dress shoes, but I saw these boots at Macy's last year, I instantly wanted them:

(they are much more saturated yellow than in the photo)
But @ $260 I just couldn't handle the price, I waffled so many times, I probably went in 6 times to look at them. One time I decided to bite the bullet and buy them, but after a few minutes of not being able to get a salesperson, I chickened out and left.
Then one day I went in, and they were on sale! I got the last pair they had in my size for %40 off...happy day.
Retail Therapy works.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Oh discussing shoe price is silly, really as it becomes totally moot the minute you discuss cowboy boots. The price of all other shoes PALE in comparison to cowboy boots.
I’m just considering another pair and am definately going to a boot maker. I have Lucchese’s and am very happy with them, but somehow, I lust after a custom pair.

After all, I need to dress properly when I cross the county line.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I really hate when people ask "how much" whenever you buy something new. That's the first question I get from my wife's family whenever we buy something and it annoys the Hell out of me. I guess it's because my family NEVER discusses money and I was always taught that it was rude to ask such a question.

I don't spend very much money on shoes. I wear a pair of leather Sketchers every day for work and Airwalks when I'm not working. Both were purchased for less than $50. I'm not opposed to spending more money on shoes, but I just don't have the need to. I do believe in spending more money to get better quality. If you're going to wear the shoes a lot, then I think the money is well spent. I can't see spending a lot of money on shoes that just sit in your closet most of the time.

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm usually pretty cheap with shoes. My work is business casual, and I wear some Sketchers (doc looking things). I think they were 45-50, but I'm not sure. The running shoes I have right now were $50 or so, but my wife and I bought shoes when famous footwear was having buy 1 get 1 half off. Two pairs of Adidas for $75. I buy Adidas almost exclusively for running shoes. My most expensive was $90 of soccer shoes (Adidas Copa's)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
guess it depends.

dress: doc martins (~100.00)
daily winter: converse all-star mid-tops (~50.00)
daily summer: birkenstocks (~100.00)
thrasher: flip-flops from hawaii (~5.00)
tennis: k-swiss (~60.00)
dress boots: ugh (?) (~100.00)

i rarely wear anything in winter except my converse.

in summer the ONLY thing i wear are my birks which i've had for over six years. unfortunately it will be time to get a new pair next summer...but i definitely got my money's worth out of those bad boys!

i've worn my doc's probably less than 10 times.

i can't see myself spending more than about 75 bucks for a pair of sneakers. i do like some of those really expensive ones, but i just can't justify the cost in my head.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
in summer the ONLY thing i wear are my birks which i've had for over six years. unfortunately it will be time to get a new pair next summer...but i definitely got my money's worth out of those bad boys!
Ted, six years and your footbeds should be perfect! Have those bad-dogs reconditioned with new soles and uppers. I'd die for 6 yr. old Birkenstock footbeds. Your sittin' on a goldmine of comfort. Might save you about $25 also

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lol zen!
i thought about doing that...but wasn't sure if it was "worth it". the soles are pretty much toast now...you can almost see the cork part in some places and there's very little tread left.
what's worse is that the footbed is pretty much cracked all the way through in a couple of spots - i think that has pretty much sealed it's fate.
the uppers are in pretty good condition though! :laugh:
oh did my i mention my girlfriend is itchin' to burn those poor things? :D
but i may still check into it...thx for the tip!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The shoe repair place by me resoles them for $30. If your footbed has worn all the way through, no wonder your GF wants to burn them. Dude, do you ever take them off? I did notice they are mostly good for walking. You can trash em pretty easy doing active stuff. My Teva's are better for the more aggressive summer activities.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah...i forgot to add my teva's to my list!
i'm tellin' ya zen...i've worn the heck out of those things!
if anyone is interested in ultra-comfortable sandals, i can't recommend birk's enough! :emoji_thumbsup:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
100 bucks, and like others only if it's on sale. I got a new pair of bostonians last week for 70 bucks, that was pushing the limit

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Why on earth did you bother answering these insensitive clods when they asked you how much they were?
I was going to say something similar.

See, here's the problem: People ask how much something is because they really want to know. Then, you tell them, and they act like you're an ass for it. Case in point, my home theater. I've had people bitch and moan because I won't tell them what I've spent, and when I finally relent, they get this attitude with me: "What? That's insane. How can you afford that?" (now they want to know my salary, too?)

Then, weeks later and in the company of others, I'll hear a sarcastic, "Oh, why don't you ask Ryan. He's Mr. Moneybags with his expensive Home Theater." Or word will get back to me that this person thinks I'm a snob, or that I'm "too good." They think I'm somehow rubbing it in their face.

I want to slap these idiots upside the head. I want to say "Look, asshole, I didn't even want to tell you how much all this cost. Had you just left me alone about it, you wouldn't be having this jealousy/ego trip right about now."

But I've got a better solution: I just don't tell them anymore. My answer to "How much" changes with my mood: "Too much." "Enough." "I don't know, I don't really pay attention." And if they press me, "Look, I'd rather not tell you, OK?" Better to have them thinking I'm a bit of a jerk for keeping it a secret than a snob trying to rub it in to them.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Shoes are not something you should cheap out on. Good shoes are far more comfortable and last far longer than cheap ones, so you’re not really saving money in the long run. I don’t spend too much on sneakers, as I usually get last year’s Nike’s for $30-$40 at Big 5. These last me a long time since I seldom wear sneakers. I like my Dr. Martens’ boots for casual dress, as they are very comfortable and sell for around $130. For dress shoes I have no problem spending over $300 for Allen Edmonds, although I usually pick them up for around $200 at Nordstrom's once a year sale. They’re extremely comfortable shoes and highly recommended.

By the way, it’s bad form to ask how much something costs unless you’re extremely close to and comfortable with the person (e.g. best friend, immediate family, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks