Guys - How much would you spend on a pair of shoes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

This isn't a poll, really, despite the title..

Over the next couple of weeks I'll be attending a couple of office Christmas parties and some other informal gatherings. Tomorrow is also a board meeting day where I work, which means business dress is required. So I decided to get a new pair of shoes for these duties.

I won't get into where I went, what I bought or how much they were other than to say that a couple of people I talked to were rather appalled when they asked how much they were. All I wanted was for them to tell me if they liked the style, they posed the question of cost..

So, what's the most you would spend on a pair of shoes? I'm more interested in the male perspective because I know women that like to shop tend to -love- shoes.. most guys don't give a flip about their shoes and would be happy to wear rags wrapped around their feet if they could, Valley Forge style..

2. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

My last pair of real dress shoes cost $229 and change.
    (But consider I spend over $100 on a single shirt alot of times, and more on pants...)

3. Sean P

Sean P Agent

My last pair, Mephistos, cost over $300 for the dress shoes, over $300 for the boots and over $200 for sandals. Normally, way more than I would pay, but my feet can hurt pretty bad sometimes and these are VERY comfortable. Look good too. You just reminded me to get them polished tomorrow. [​IMG]
    Sean

4. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

depends on how much i like the way the shoe looks and how comfortable it is. i'd probably be willing to spend close to $150-$200 if it was "all that". on the whole though, i don't spend much over $100.

kevin t

5. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

When I buy shoes they usually last a few years so I get my money's worth, but I still wouldn't pay more than $150 for a pair. That's just me.

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I spend $100 on sandles that only last a year. [​IMG]
    My dress shoes cost maybe $130. But I only wear them for weddings and job interviews, so I just wanted something respectable.

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I am the ultimate cheap skate when it comes to buying clothes and shoes. A couple of years ago I was in Shoe Carnival and saw what appeared to be a slightly used mismatched pair of shoes on clearance. I say mismatched because they were two different sizes but close enough where I could get away with it. I bought these shoes and was proudly wearing them a week or so later when a friend of mine asked "why is the logo on the left shoe on the same side as the one on the right side? I laughed it off but went into the next room to look more closely. It turns out that I was wearing two left shoes. I figured what the hell, they were cheap so I'll just keep wearing them. The next time I visited my family and my dad asked "what's wrong with those shoes, are they on the wrong feet or something?" I explained the situation which has made me the laughing stock of the family. On a side note for fear that I would injure my feet walking around like that my mom put the shoes in the trash when I wasn't looking.

8. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I have two pairs of wing tips that I paid $60 bucks each for (going out of business sale) but my casual shoes (eccos) were $160.

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Two pair for $20 at Payless, baby!! [​IMG]
    My Gore-Tex oxfords usually run about $160.

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

As little as possible (never bought anything over $100). Had to get a tux last year for choir concerts, and I didn't have to get tux shoes, just matching (black). 12 bucks at Walmart, plus Dr. Scholls foot comforter thingy (probably 5-15 bucks).

Not sure about my brown dress shoes, but I'm guessing $70 max (Stacy Adams Outdoors). I've been wearing them since the 9th grade, I'm a sophomore in college now. They're a bit tight, but it's not too bad and I only wear them a few times a year.

I've been wearing New Balance sneakers for the past three years, the first pair lasted for two years and I wasn't kind to them, and I'm still wearing the second pair. $50-65 range. If they're comfortable and they look nice, that's all that matters. I'm not going to buy a pair of Air Jordans or whatever because it's the "cool" thing to do.

11. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I know you really only wanted male opinions but I've just got to ask. . .
    Why on earth did you bother answering these insensitive clods when they asked you how much they were?
    A prompt "none of your business" should have ended that. I remember from another thread that you like nice clothes and shoes (nothing at all wrong with that) so if you like the shoes and their cost isn't putting you into debt, don't worry about what anyone thinks.
    And for the record, I've never bought a pair of shoes over $150, with $200 being the most I can conceive of spending. Of course most of my shoes are the same styles as men's shoes. Not dress shoes, anyway, I've got heels for that [​IMG]

12. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

Sounds like you won't wear them a lot so you could go to Sears of Penneys and spend $50-60.

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    two years ago while in London I decided to invest in a decent pair of leather shoes for work. they're practically dress shoes, but in my job I have to wear proper business attire. I spent about 100 pounds (about US$160?). they worked out quite well so when my then-girlfriend-now-wife went to London on holiday with her mom last year, I asked her to get me another identical pair. so now I have two pairs, and I rotate usage to preserve both in the long run.

14. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I bought two pairs of nice dress shoes in June of this year before I had to attend a wedding. A brown pair by Nunn Bush, and a black pair by Bass. Got them both for $30 each, and I expect them to last a while.

The most I've ever spent on a pair was $100 for the Jordan XVII (when they came out). I promptly sold them on eBay for double that.

15. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Shoe prices are the win!
    Coming from a shoe fanatic, I will pay whatever it costs to get what I want. No ceiling. All that matters is that the shoe I want be on sale. I will spend 60 on runing shoes if they are discounted from 80, 120 on rock climbing shoes if on sale. If the shoe is not at a discounted proce I will not buy.
    Ski boots up to 500?
    Ice climbing boots 300?
    Hiking 250?
    Telemarks 300?
    Dress shoes 0
    Shoes for when I'm standing all day teaching 250 (ecco/mephisto)
    Birkenstocks/Tevas 100
    all manner of tennis/running/workout 40-70
    What matters is there is a perceived need to me and it is on sale[​IMG]
    Oh discussing shoe price is silly, really as it becomes totally moot the minute you discuss cowboy boots. The price of all other shoes PALE in comparison to cowboy boots.

16. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I routinely spend $200-300 on nice shoes (sometimes more), and around $100 on sneakers.

17. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    If we're talking about dress shoes, none. I own one pair which I got from my father who has plenty. We're just about the same size so my only pair of dress shoes (and socks for that matter) are hand-me-downs. I dread the day I ever have to go to some multiday business meeting because I have one suit and a couple of different ties.
    As far as sneakers, I usually buy whatever is on sale, from $20 to $55, usually either tennis sneakers or cross-trainers.
    Cycling shoes (Shimano SPD-comp. mtb shoes) is limitless but I've been wearing the same $50 Diadora Jalapeno IIs for like 7 years now. [​IMG] I did recently buy a closeout pair of road shoes (Northwave) that were like $70 on closeout from Excel Sports but I wear my mountain bike shoes primarily and when I commute so it sees alot of use.
    Hiking shoes is probably the most limitless of the shoes I buy as they have to fit and fit good, cost no object. However, the 5 pairs of boots (various high top, mid levels, winter backpacking boots) were mostly from $70-$100 on sale or closeout.
    My trail running sneakers (Merrill) were also super cheap from Campmor on closeout, something like $45.
    Jay

18. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I once spent $175 on a pair of shoes to go with a business suit (six years ago- I still wear them). I won't do that again, as I don't feel that I got my money's worth.
    I pretty much buy New Balance for running shoes ($80 is my limit, and they last about a year), and Rockport casual shoes (my last pair were $95, three years ago).
    I pretty much wear shoes until they are really cooked. I only have six pair-
    1. My good running shoes
    2. 3-year old running shoes- the grass cutting shoes
    3. 3.5 year old casual Rockports
    4. the aforementioned "spendy" shoes
    5. some well worn Nike sandals from Spring '97- these babies have some SERIOUS miles on them, but still look and wear fine.
    6. a 12 year old pair of Penny loafers, that likely will never be worn again, but are in new condition.[​IMG]
    Being no slave to fashion, I don't particularly care to spend lots of money on clothing, so I tend to wait until clothing items are worn out before replacing them. Also, given that my HT isn't completely the way I want it, my car project isn't done, and I haven't fully funded my retirement (even though I'm only 33) or daughter's college fund (even though she's only 19 months), overpriced shoes are WAY down on the list.[​IMG]
    Todd
    P.S. To answer the question, $100 is my limit.

19. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Allen Edmonds, usually about $300. It sounds like a lot, but they last a long time, and after several years you can send them back to the factory and have the soles totally replaced for $95, basically giving you a new pair of shoes (assuming you take care of the leather uppers).

20. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

If I am going to wear a pair of Shoes day in and day out I am going to get something that is going to last. Pair of Bostonians $135.00.

I have a pair of Doc Martins $135.00 that I have had for 2 years now, the Bottoms are just starting to show a little sign of aging. They are with out a Doubt the most Comfortable shoes I own.