What's new

Guys: Help me sell my Def Techs..... (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Trying to figure out a honest price for me and the buyer (hopefully) on a set of great condition BP 30's and CLR 2000 as a package. I'm trying to get do with a Diva package and my girl will do me in if I had two different types of speakers in the house! I'm going with a Diva package on trust and word of mouth,(you guys, thanks)and not to mention gteat support from AV123. I really want the 6.1 and C3 but it depends on what I can get for the DeF Techs. Dont get me wrong, these are very good speakers but I'm just ready for a change and the Diva's came along at the right time for us "normal budgeted" folks. :D The list price for the BP 30's are around $1300 or so..( I know) and the CLR 2000 $500. Wish me luck. They are all in fantastic shpare and luckily I kept the boxes. Shipping will be murder though (60lbs each)!

Keir H

Second Unit
Come on Charles, I thought you were gonna say somewhere between $1200 and $2000 for the set. :D
Set, you mean for all three?

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
for all the stores i have been to for home theater stuff the discount is around 10-20% for new stuff and 40-50% off for demo's and 50-60% off for previously owned.
by the way are you really sure you want to sell your def tech's,i moved my BP 2002TL downstairs and put my direct firing towers up front and could not believe how much i missed that bi-polar sound of them that i bought another set to put them up front again upstairs.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Less than half retail (IOW, under $900 total for all three).

If you want specifics, Audiogon has an on-line blue book which is pretty accurate although it does require a paid membership (< $50 a year).

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
Based upon my observations of ebay and audiogon prices, the asking price for a used CLR 2000 in excellent condition is $350 to $400. A pair of BP30s in similar condition may sell for $700 to $800. Selling them together may not yield the best total price as it limits the market. If selling to a person at a distance, you may need to split shipping.

Good luck.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
You haven't heard the Divas but are buying them anyway?

Geez...I would NEVER do that with speakers. That's just asking for trouble. I don't care what the buzz is like.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Keir- I bought brand new BP-30s and a CLR2000 last summer. Paid $1400 new. (But I admittedly got a great deal from a non-authorized dealer.) Used I'd say $1000 to $1200. Sell them separately. Advertise well.
Funny one: I go pick up Vandersteen 2CE Signatures and a VCC-1 center this weekend, to possibly replace my Def Tech's with. But I ain't going to sell the old ones until I figure out if I want the new ones. :)
Just have a bee in my bonnet about trying time and phase correct speakers. (WSR, Richard Hardesty, etc.)

Keir H

Second Unit
I understand Camp and others who say audition first but I've come to trust many of the members and logic states that I'm likely not to be dissapointed in getting the 4.1's or whatever since the overwhelming praise these speakers get from thousands of users. I have not heard them in lenght but have to a degree (6.1's) and was impressed. Anything mentioned in the same context with B&W, Paradigm Ref. and Monitor Audio has to be pretty good (all of which I've heard and liked.) Then again, maybe I need to get more power to my Def Techs or better source material. I dunno, but I'm thinking that with the looks and the word of mouth about the sound of the Diva's got me leaning in that direction despite not being able to audition fully. :)
I wonder if the 6.1 are really better that twice the price of the 4.1's is the question???

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Heh, I've been reading this forum since the beginning and I still don't trust anyone's opinions on something so subjective as how a speaker sounds. To each his own...

One thing you could do about determining a price is to check what they go for/sold for on ebay and audiogon. It should put you in the ballpark. Also, ask any dealer who takes in trade-ins what they're worth. They should have access to the Audio BlueBook.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Ultimately? What speakers are worth is what you can get for them... :D
Keir- Just for kicks, you should go check out the BP-30 and CLR2000 reviews on www.audioreview.com. Both are rated quite highly. That's why I'm overlapping...

Keir H

Second Unit
Hey thanks Kevin and you are right, I checked that source and it's pretty good when looking for a ballpark figure. I just dont want to sell myself too short when selling them but would like to give someone a great deal at the same time. Anyone go from Def Techs/Mirage to Diva's reading this thread??

kevitra

Second Unit
I'm likely not to be dissapointed in getting the 4.1's or whatever since the overwhelming praise these speakers get from thousands of users.
I really do not think there are thousands of Diva users. At avsforum I actually started to count the number of unique users in the 'big' thread and it was around 100 (very non-scientific counting - but just to get an idea). It is usually the same people posting over and over.

I then started a thread that was 'what divas do you own?' to get an idea of how many people actually own them. Only 60 people post there.

I know that is not scientific, but I really do not think they have sold thousands. Sure some people don't visit the forums often so they might not have seen my post, but 60 is a far way from thousands.

I own the C3 and owned the 2.1s. I was going to use the 2.1s as surrounds, but the wife said they are too big. The C3 is a good center so I kept it. I ran the 2.1s for 12 hours and they were very bright (to my standards). I'm sure after 100 hours they would have been better. I have read posts saying that out of the box they are not bright. This to me says these people have not heard a smooth speaker.

As to people's reviews - you have to look at what they previously owned and their preferences. A lot of Diva owners went from low end JBL/Bose/etc. Anything is going to sound good compared to what they had. If they had good B&Ws, Paradigm, etc then their review means more (to me).

I happen to own ACI Sapphire IIIs and I prefer them over the Diva 6.1s (I was lucky enough to audition the 6.1s in my area).

They are good speakers - well built and good sounding, but they might not be better than what you have.

Hugh Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
FYI,

I sold my 4 BP2002 & 1 CLR2002 and was going to go for the Paradigm Studio100 until I came accross the Diva threads.

To make it short, I'm happy with my decisions.
As a matter of fact, I'm looking for bargains if anyone of you wants to get rid of your Divas, models not really important, feel free to drop me a line.

Hugh Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the doublepost but I need to clarify something.
I am building a 2nd system.
My first system has 6.1s, C3, & 2.1s.

Keir H

Second Unit
Hugh, how easy was it to sell your Def Tech's? What was the improvement ratio going with the 100's? And why not go with PAradigm's for your second system?

Hugh Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Keir,

It's just a matter of timing.
I sold my system to a person who happened
to look for the exact set.
As far as my 2nd system, well, why go to Paradigm
when I'm happy with my 1st system already.
Granted, if they are at the same price then it would
really be a hard pick between the two.
Even when I can get the Paradigm set at about 22% off,
if I'm not mistaken, I still came out ahead with Divas.
Again, just my personal opinion.
I spent 6 months without speakers trying to decide between JMLab & Paradigm before decided on Divas.
Good luck with your endeavour.

Hugh

PomingF

Second Unit
Keir, I suppose you are aware of the audioenvy audition request? I recall some Houston Diva owners were posting on AVS @ one time.

I have the BP2000/CLR2000/BPX for HT while added the Diva's for a separate MC/Hi-Rez music system and am very happy with the move. Btw, Harold over @ AVS also switch from DT to Diva's and seem to work out fine.

PF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks