Guys help! 911, emergency! I've screwed up so bad!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Mar 26, 2002.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

After hearing about how much better the picture looks when you remove the protective screen, and since my daugther was gone for the weekend, I thought I'd give it a try. To my horrifying surprize [​IMG] , my particular tv has all 3 screens taped to each other, the plastic, mesh, and the white screen . The way they have the casing(frame) made is that it's so wide that without all 3 of these pieces there will be a gap between the screen and the frame of the tv. And the white screen gives sort-a bubble effect in the middle like it's 3D or something because it's not flat[​IMG] .
    So when I put it back to the way it, was my picture is shadowy. I've lost my angle of vision from the side. Now if you arent setting directly in front of the set you see shadow.
    Man I am ready to cry, I hope I havent screwed up a $3000 65" HDTV[​IMG] , I dont know if my warrenty covers this , since this is something that I've screwed up.
    Hopefully all I need to do is put the tape back around all three screens to make the white screen tight, or I'll have to get that ISF cal. sooner then I thought. Any suggestions?
    please.....[​IMG]

2. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, you need to call the ISF guy. You are right, this is something that will not be covered by your warantee. I think that if you were going to get the set calibrated, you should definately do so now.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It sounds like the lenticular screen got put in backwards ...

Regards

4. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

toshiba I take it?

I took the tape off

removed the front screen (which is now a convergence template :))

re-taped the 2 remaining pieces together, added some more tape (I used duct)

bought some white 'lattice' from home improvement store (needs to be ripped, because it is too wide)

inserted the cut-to-fit lattice strips behind the screens, before the clamps. (these are thicker than the removed screen)

screens are tight as a drum.

this on an older tosh TP61G90

I have different types of emergencies. involves screen vrs focus etc (but fodder for another thread!)

good luck

5. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Actually its a samsung tantus, so diffenately re tape ? Mike do you really think the screen is in backwards I thought that might be apart of it oh god Im a asshole!!!! [​IMG]

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

LaMarcus, I know it's difficult to remain calm in a situation such as this. I don't know much about your RPTV, but some of them come with protective screens that are not meant to be removed. And doing so has pretty much voided your warranty.

You have, however, received good advice: turn to a professional calibrationist, preferably one who is ISF-certified. He or she will be able to fix your problem, and the set will look better than it ever has.

At this stage, all is not lost. But the only way back to video bliss is through a calibrationist. Call one today, then tell us how everything went.

You'll be okay, buddy.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Also, don't panic yet. Never panic. At the very least, you could even write a sucky letter to the company pleading for assistance and beggin for mercy. I once had a $200.00 mountian bike heart rate monitor watch pop out of its bracelet and vanish during a mountain bike race. I wrote a letter explaining exactly what happened and took the bracelet and sent it all to the company POLAR and would you believe it, they sent me a brand new watch worth close to $200.00.

Anyway, totally unrelated equipment, and I know you've done something you shouldn't do, but don't panic. Get an ISF skilled person to calibrate your set and help you fix the screen. If its not perfect after that, than through yourself on the mercy of the manufacturer for at least an attempt at the least expensive solution. You are basically asking for good will on their part. They should see it as a rare opportunity to provide over and above customer service.

8. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Maybe you could even just buy an assembly of all 3 screens from the manufacturer. If all 3 of them are normally taped together, than Im sure thats gotta be some type of factory replacement part. It might cost ya a couple hundred bucks, but youd easily pay that for a calibrationist. Call Samsung.

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Just to get this straight, you say that you've completely removed the protective screen (it's lying on the floor) and the remaining screen pieces are too thin to fit the frame properly?

If so, just re-install the protective screen, but on the inside of the set, so it's at the back of the screen 'stack'.

10. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

GOOOD NEWS GUYS!!!!

I took everyone's advice mixed it all together into a big pot of gumbo and then BOOM!

Success!![​IMG] I have my tv back!!![​IMG] now I can still wait a lil bit to get my ISF. I would love to do it now but I wont be able to fully enjoy it because I start school monday and there wont be much time for DVD's even on the weekend.[​IMG]

But there is a happy ending [​IMG], I went and got some surgical gloves[​IMG] (seriously), pulled all three of those jokers off again , and performed a ER miracle procedure on my baby. Wife helped, she was floored when I messed it up from the start.

Found out that MikeTLV was right the linticular screen was in backwards. And after searching more in the forum I re-affirmed my theory that it needed to be tightly installed in the frame.

So along with that, took a bit of Jim J's advice (and mine too) and retaped all the screen's. Made sure it was tight as a drum and presto! Back to bliss!

Phew!!!!:b

I would like to thank all of you guys so much, I love this place, it really makes you feel like famliy. Execpt for you JACK"ass"Briggs [​IMG] for scaring me half to death with the possiblility that my $400 warrenty may be worth quat! U stinker!:p)

But hopefully if I need to envoke my warrenty they wont notice that I removed the screen lol[​IMG] (since I taped it back...) thanks!

11. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

So did you put the protective screen in the back of the stack or you just put it back they way it originally was?

12. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I put it back the way it was, I'm too scared to have some freak accident happen to the screen, a good example is a friend of mine's son was doing some type of flip to impress him, but his feet landed on a spoon that was on the floor, the spoon catipulted and pierced the screen. Now is that a freak accident or what?[​IMG]
    I still need to have the set ISF cal. because now that I have the shadow gone when I put V.E in, on the brightness/contrast adjustment screen, there in a white blur in my picture in the middle like a quarter moon , it's freaking me out![​IMG]
    I dont see it during movies, but it's big as day during the calibration. Just knowing it exist is enough, and I cant help to think that my set doesnt look as good as it did before I screwed with it, you know how your mind plays tricks on you so the only way I see having peace of mind is to call ISF. Wife has gotten bitten by the HT bug she actually said it was okay to get the ISF, who the hell is this person?[​IMG]

13. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

LaMarcus,

What I think your seeing is caused by the internal reflection of the light that is hitting the screen and then reflecting back into the TV. The VE Pluge pattern generally has a halo on most RPTVs because there is some reflection back into the set - remember those screens are translucent in essence. Without seeing your problem it is hard to judge if this is actually it, but it seems like it would be. A calibrationist will probably not be able to help this too much; then again, they may.

Good Luck,

David Abrams

ISF Calibrationist

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So, we have a happy ending to the story?

15. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Pretty much a happy ending, I also realized what the white blur is , when i retaped the screen I didnt tape all the way around so the places where there isnt tape light is seeping through, I'm still a idiot [​IMG]

16. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Does it matter which side you put the screen in? I know that the linticular screen has to be on the right side, cus I had it in backwards and could really tell the difference. But the other two screens does it matter what side you put them in on?

17. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Well does it? Lol. Just happened to see this thread in a search result, couldn't resist making one last post.

18. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Yes it does matter ... for all three pieces ...

It also matters if you install them in upside down too ... bad ...

Regards

19. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Michael, dont leave me hangin man, please tell. How do you know if you put them in wrong? I know the lenticular screen was in backwards because I had too much ghosting after I put the screens back in.
    And I swear before I took the screens out I did not see any halo's, but now, it halo city on my tv. It's possible that I might have just not realized it before, maybe. But I would think that that is something you would notice immediately.
    But Micheal please tell me how too notice if the screens are in wrong.

20. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Wow, I just had a weird case of Deja Vu.
    I swear I've seen this exact thread either here or on the Home Theater Spot several months ago.
    And I'm talking about the exact type of problem, with the exact "Help me I screwed up so bad!" post about the problem and the exact same response from Michael TLV about the backwards screen.
    I'm sure it's just coincidence, so don't feel bad LaMarcus, you're not the only one! [​IMG]