GUYS AND DOLLS special edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RobertSiegel, Feb 13, 2006.

1. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

DVD Answers has posted the cover for the GUYS AND DOLLS special edition (finally). The cover seems rather plain, but usually the Region 1 is different from the R2. Has anyone heard of this announcement in the U.S. yet?

Available to own from the 25th April (that's region 2 so far), . The film will be presented in 2.55:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include Damon Runyon’s Broadway, and Frank Loesser’s Guys and Dolls Documentary, and a Sam Goldwyn’s Guys and Dolls On-Screen Adaptation . I hope it is remastered, this film has one great soundtrack.

Here is the info:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...and-dolls.html

2. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

I thought the audio was disappointing on the last release.

3. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

I didn't find the audio disappointing on the last dvd, the recording of this movie is really good for its time....the last dvd just didn't have the excitement of the soundtrack like the laserdisc did .It seems compressed on that last dvd compared to the original laserdisc.... This was the first laserdisc of a classic musical that had a truly outstanding track in those early laser days...and I think surprised alot of people at that time how good classic stereo movies on laser could sound. The laserdisc definately sounded better than the last dvd (my opinion).

4. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    I pray that it really is ANAMORPHIC this time.
    After 2 Laserdiscs and the DVD, finally we might get a version that looks really good.
    Let's hope that they include the play-out.

I agree with Robert that the Laserdisc does sound better than the DVD.

5. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

Guys and Dolls is a favorite of mine. I have also been through the various incarnations of this title (VHS, laserdisc and DVD). It's true that the audio of the widescreen laserdisc of the '90's was superb (both the PCM and 5.1 tracks). One thing that has always bothered me about the recording, however, is the presence of a weird whirring noise during some of the musical sequences. Check out The Oldest Established. I suspect it is a flaw in the original audio master because it is present in every version that I have owned.

Anybody out there even know what I am referring to and care to comment?

6. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

Yes, Drew, I remember that noise, I especially remember it in "The Oldest Established", when he sings "even when the heat is on it's never too hot." Is that one of them you are talking about? In any case, I havn't read anything about a remaster....let's hope they do both picture and sound.