Guy selling digital camcorders for "cheap" on my board - is this a ripoff?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim_Wetzel, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Tim_Wetzel

Tim_Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

OK, I'll start out that I know ZERO about camcorders.

Anyhow, some guy who has tried to sell stuff before I my site (that I thought was overpriced) started this thread, titled "new digital camcorders for sale!!":
    I started looked up the priced on amazon.com and sears.com and they are coming up CHEAPER than he is asking. It makes me wonder if I'm just looking at the wrong items, or this guy is trying to scam my users.

Please help me confirm or bust this guy. If he's scamming, I'll ban him right away.

Thanks.

Tim

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

He may not be out and out scamming them, ie taking their money without delivering the goods, but it's quite possible these products are grey-market items. I recently bought a Sony TRV-33 and had a hell of a time finding a decent online reseller (with good prices) that was selling honest-to-goodness USA products.

There's nothing wrong with grey-market items, per se, except that there's no warranty or manufacturer's support and often don't come with any/all accessories. I suppose as long as the buyers are made known to this fact it's not really a scam.

But it's hard to say without doing more research.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I agree that it looks REALLY strange. He's charging above the MSRP and I doubt he's "just some guy" that has a few sitting around.

Email him and find out what his deal is.

Brent

4. Tim_Wetzel

Tim_Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

Grey or not, it just looks to me like the prices were higher than you could buy them at real store.

But I didn't know, b/c of the "digital" term, if maybe i was looking at the wrong (and cheaper) products online.