Gutter helmet: Does it work?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

http://www.gutterhelmet.com/

Not that I particularily have a problem with leaves in my gutters, but every year my wife and I go to the state fair and look at all the exhibitions and there's usually a couple of "gutter helmet" displays. We wind up arguing on whether they really work or not.

It seems to me that leaves would still make their way into the gutter.. particularly skinny or small ones.. or, rainwater would bypass the gutter all together during heavy rains. Or, once they become dirty, the water would lose its surface tension and just spill over the gutter.

Any gutter helmet users here?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    if you have any pine trees around, the pine needles will certainly make their way into the gutter.

CJ

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

My friend's in-laws have them and are underwhelmed. They still get leaves in the gutters (just not as many) and last year they had ice dams that a contractor attributed to the gutter helmet.

4. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I have the Gutter Helmet system on my house and so far it’s working great.
    It’s only been on since June so I can’t vouch for its winter performance.
    Right now it’s getting the biggest test because all the leaves are falling.
    So far there are no blockages and my house is surrounded on four sides with 100FT tall old growth trees.
    I’ve tried all of the “Do it yourself” covers and NONE of them worked.

This past summer we had some MAJOR rain storms and it performed perfect.
    I do have one section of gutter that’s undersized for the area of roof its handling.
    When it rains really hard the gutter is overwhelmed and it can’t drain fast enough.
    Water comes out the drain like a FIRE HOSE, but the gutter can still spill over at times.
    This ISN’T the fault of the HELMET system because it has done this before I had it installed.

As for leaves getting in, YES, the small ones are going to find their way into the water groove.
    But the idea is that these are small enough for the water to carry away.
    Like I said, it’s working great for me and I don’t have to worry about climbing ladder to clear blockages.

Shawn S