Guster recording quality

Discussion in 'Music' started by Yousaf, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

I have both Lost and Gone Forever and Parachute on CD, and I've always been pretty happy with the quality of them. They have pretty much no background hiss, and the level seems to be boosted just enough so that there isn't any clipping. Instruments and voices are positioned precisely and they don't seem to get smeared. Does anyone else listen to Guster? What do you think of the quality of their releases?

This is really more to satisfy my curiosity than anything. They're a lesser-known band and so I guess I expected less of them, but was pleasantly surprised. When most people think referece CDs they pull out Diana Krall or something and so I was wondering if I'm nuts or if there is something to their work (besides the quality of the music [​IMG]).

2. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Yousaf,

I had a chance to hear Guster in concert with John Mayer (it was a Valentines gift for my girlfriend) and I enjoyed their music. After the concert, I saw John Mayers first album at Wal-Mart and decided to pick it up. Needless to say, the recording quality of his first album wasn't that great. I plan on getting Guster's newest album within the next few weeks...so I will let you know what I think about it.

3. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I love Guster and become more of a fan with each CD they come out with. There current CD is a great CD with lots of catchy tunes. I love the sound quality and dont hear any hissing even when I blast the tunes on my car stereo and home stereo.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I've been a fan of Guster since they were a band called Gus selling gigs while going to college at Tufts in MA. I loved their demo tape, so we had them perform at our school twice. I preordered "Parachute" from them at one of the shows before they'd decided on the name for the album.

Anyway...

I missed the release date of "GoldFly", which I really didn't care for at first (I do now).

I've picked up every other release on release date. "Lost and Gone Forever" was fantastic, but "Keep It Together" is their best yet.

Lately I'm loving the song "Come Downstairs & Say Hello".

They're incredible in concert, and are releasing a live album sometime this year. I've been harrassing them by email about dropping an SA-CD. I wish they would.

Definitely one of the great underrated bands.

5. john harshman

john harshman Stunt Coordinator

6. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

I just happened to pick up "Keep it Together" a few days ago. The album is awesome! But I have one question...on certian songs do any of you guys get strange sounds coming from the left speaker? This is usually when the songs begin. I know it isn't my speakers because I get the odd sounds when I play them in my car, home stereo, and on my PC. Other than the strange "left speaker hiss", I think the sound quality is superb.

7. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

May 18th is the release date for the live CD/DVD package "Guster on Ice: Live from Portland, Maine"...

(can't wait to look for myself at the shows!)[​IMG]

8. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Has anyone else picked up the "Guster On Ice" CD+DVD set?

I've watched the first half hour and am fairly impressed, though I am annoyed by the noise artificially introduced in some shots in an attempt to give them a "Super8" feel. The DVD has three audio tracks: Dolby Surround 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS 5.1, the last of which does a nice job of enveloping you whenever they're on stage. (The DVD cuts between the concert and backstage/rehearsal footage, and the ambience adjusts accordingly.) I hope to watch the rest of it this weekend.

The CD contains 13 of the 19 live tracks from the concert. Personally, I would have preferred a DVD-only release in normal packaging; I don't particularly need the live CD since a number of their live shows are available on archive.org, even if this CD sounds much better than any show I've downloaded.

DeepDiscountCD.com's $21.82 (with free shipping) may be the best deal out there for it, if you don't mind the wait. CircuitCity.com lists it for $27.99, but I found it for $22.99 at the store near work.