Guster - "Keep It Together"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matty P, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to put a good word in for this new disc from the guys outta Boston...some really great stuff on here incl. "Careful" and "Come Downstairs and Say Hello"...a lot different than any other Guster album but that is not a bad thing...they're playing a free show tonight here in Portland and I cannot wait! Anyone else pick this one up yesterday?

2. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I had it preordered for some time, and received it last night. I've already listened through the entire album a number of times.

It's not without its issues, but I do enjoy it on the whole. I know a number of Gusterrhoids who are complaining about them switching producers, adding instruments (the banjo, in particular), etc. I'm a bit more forgiving, but I still think it might take me a while before I truly feel that it's as "Guster" as their previous albums.

I saw them in concert here in March, and it was the best I've ever seen them play.

3. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

My wife brought this CD home last weekend. She is in no way up on the latest music trends by any means. She just went to Best Buy and began scanning random CDs into the new listening stations posted throughout the CD section.

She came home with an album by The Corrs and this one by Guster (She liked the cover!!!). I teased her a bit, but then, I was actually blown away. I LOVE this CD!!!

I will certainly check out their earlier works. I will also send my wife out to buy CDs more often. Great music AND, SHE pays. [​IMG]

Here is MORE proof that radio is killing itself and really good artists.

4. Matty P

I would recommend picking up Lost and Gone Forever if you have only one choice of the earlier stuff...some of the "nicest" songs I've ever heard are on this disc...kind of a weak description but if anyone's got the album you know what I mean! [​IMG]

5. David Lawson

David Lawson
    I would have to disagree. While I like all of their stuff, I find that their albums are progressively (however slightly) less endearing. Parachute is my favorite. I'm not sure they will ever top "Mona Lisa".

6. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I'm enjoying this new CD so much, I'll probably end up picking up several previous releases before I head out to the beach for a week. Thanks for the input.

The funny thing is that I'm finding the "hidden track" Two at a Time is the one I like the most. I Can't get it out of my head!

C

7. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

All I've ever heared by Guster is "Airport Song" [I think I think the title is correct]. Is this song typical Guster? Also, what do you think of the album on which the song appears? I enjoy "Airport Song" and might have to by the album once I figure out which album it is. Finally, I apologize for the hijack, but as it's Guster related I hope I will be forgiven. Thanks.
    -Steve

8. Matty P

Airport Song is on their Goldfly album...I would say it's typical of their earlier stuff, a little "darker" than most...the new album moves away from the bongo sound though, standard drum kit is featured on a lot of the songs...

9. David Lawson

David Lawson
    I agree. "Airport Song" might be the darkest song on Goldfly. My personal favorite from that album is the song that follows it, "Medicine".

If you're starting out with Keep It Together, the previous albums may be a bit of an adjustment. I'm still getting used to the standard drum kit. Concerts won't be the same if the Thunder God isn't on the bongos for the entire set. [​IMG]

10. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

Matty and David: Thanks for the info. I'll probably start with the "bongo era" Goldfly.
    -Steve

11. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    Based on some of the songs I've heard - Amsterdam, Careful, Hope Tomorrow... - I think I'm going to pick this one up. I was a big fan of Barrel of a Gun also.