Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough

Gunsmoke: The Twelfth Season, Volume 1 DVD Review

gunsmoke12top-1024x683.jpg

While Matt Dillion’s presence is always missed when he’s not a part of the main action, his absence usually doesn’t dissipate the purely entertaining dramatic value of the episodes in the first volume of season twelve of Gunsmoke.

[review]
Click here to read the original article.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I only requested Volume 1 because of the plethora of TV season sets that come out during August and September. I currently am working on The Good Wife and have Modern Family waiting after it (not to mention a whole bunch of films upcoming in the next few days) so I have to spread the wealth around..

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Great review, Matt! Looking forward to this purchase as I've never seen a complete color episode.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
it's not all guest star features - there's plenty of action featuring Matt, notably in; 'Snap Decision', 'The Mission', 'Fandango', 'The Jailer', 'The Well', 'The Hanging', 'Saturday Night', 'The Favor', 'Mistaken Identity', and he has prominent roles in 'The Gold Takers', 'The Wrong Man', 'The Good People', 'The Lure'

one thing you really notice in color is the switch from studio filming to location...like in 'The Gold Takers' where one end of town is a studio set....then on turning a corner it's an outside location town ! - color really highlights that

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks Matt for the review...Looking forward to getting Gunsmoke season 12...great to hear that the episodes look great in the usual first class CBS remastering...the cast of this show are like old friends, and I've always felt at home in Dodge City and environs...if Matt Dillon told me to get out of town, however, I'd be on the fastest horse in Kansas...not to even mention his fast gun hand, the dude could deliver a nasty backhand...just saw him lay out Richard X. Slattery in season 10's "The New Society"...wow...I'm not nearly as tough as Claude Akins or Robert J. Wilke, so I'd never get up, ha, ha...

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see any mention of the running times, which to me is the most important thing in any release.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Good point Neil Brock,... I completely assumed that these episodes would be original and unedited...the only season 12 episodes that were previously released on dvd in the 50th anniversary volume 2 set released in 2005 were "The Jailer". "The Wrong Man" and "Quaker Girl"...all heavily edited syndication sources and faded as well...I think on some of them, up to 3 and a half minutes were edited out...running 46:30 or so versus the proper 50:30 - 51:00 for original airing in '66 - '67...the release info says "12 hours 31 minutes" , divided by 15 episodes would yield 50 minute running times...I hope Matt or Jeff or somebody could let us know if this new release is unedited...anything less is unthinkable, and would bring back bad memories of 2011...the year that CBS backslipped and gave us RAWHIDE season 4 and BONANZA season 2 not remastered...if these are edited, no sale for me...despite this being one of my very few highly anticipated fall releases...

Last edited:

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
note in 'The Gold Takers' the character of Caleb Nash is 'brought back to life' (he died back in the b/w days in a 1964 episode)

- the covering closing credit is;

Denver Pyle 're-creating the role of Caleb Nash'

so there's hope for anyone who was killed off....!
(Steve Forrest's evil 'Mannon' clearly took note)

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Jeff, do you have this new release? If so, can you tell us what the typical running times of these season 12 episodes are? So we know if they are original and unedited? Thanks.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I'm currently awaiting my copy on pre-order - I have the 12th season of the show on tape from reruns on CBS Action channel here in the UK

when my set arrives I will time a few episodes and advise...

season 12 has been the MOST rerun season here in the UK, BBC Two and TCM channels plus ITV 4 have also screened it....yet it's (for me) the final season to get on DVD as I already have American and German DVD sets of every other season

The German season 14 set was heavily edited however, I hope for a decent USA unedited set in due course...

Gunsmoke has recently been running on both CBS Action and CBS Drama cable channels here, tho' now it's 'Bonanza' (seasons 4-6) and 'The High Chaparral' (seasons 1-2), while TCM channel recently screened 'Rawhide' (seasons 1-3) so we've had a decent run of classic Westerns

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks Jeff...I hope you get your copy soon...I'm going to hold off on ordering Gunsmoke season 12 until I have confirmation that the episodes are original and unedited...I mean, I'm about 90% sure that in having remastered these to the usual extraordinairy CBS standard, it would be unthinkable and atrocious if they were not also unedited...it can't possibly be any other way?

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I found Gunsmoke Season 12 V1 and V2 today in my local Walmart. Price was 19.96 per volume - much better than currently on Amazon. After I picked up my copies there remained 2 V1 copies and 5 V2 copies. At least people must be purchasing the first volume.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just picked up both Season 12 volumes at Wally World yesterday. The prints look fantastic and I can also confirm that these are the complete, unedited episodes. What a treat to finally see this show in color!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks