What's new

Gunsmoke Season Two - Volume One (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It's interesting. Before releasing the complete first season, they did 3 other Gunsmoke releases, the 2 50th Anniversary collections and the director's collection. In essence, these were split season releases -- they contained the same amount of episodes that a split season release would have. It would seem with Gunsmoke Season 2, Volume 1, CBS/Paramount is just reverting to their initial approach to Gunsmoke, namely split seasons. The real oddity here is the complete first season release; I wonder how that happened. There's also the precedent of Rawhide to consider: complete first season, split second. I wonder if we'll see a third season of Rawhide or Gunsmoke, split or not.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'm not bending. I guess season one will be all the Gunsmoke I buy.

---------------

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Unfortunately that attitude may be prevalent enough to mean that the rest of us will only get one and a half seasons!
I just don't understand why people are so ticked about this. Yes I know they are nearly doubling the cost per season, but think of it this way: Season one was a bargain to get people started collecting the series. It's no different than Columbia house offering 5 DVD's for a penny a piece and then requiring you to buy 5 more at regular price. It's just a marketing tool to get you started. Gunsmoke is WORTH $60 per season.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I stopped doing business with Columbia House a number of years ago because of dissatisfaction with their service. Is this the model Paramount wants to follow?

---------------

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
I'll make it even more simple...by the time all 20 Seasons of GUNSMOKE are released, DVDs will be obsolete. Even if they put out a Season per year, that would be 15+ years. Get real...we'll be watching video chips by then.

There are no plans to release ALL 20 Seasons (at that rate).

For me, it's ONE and done. :-(

By the way, where's Season 4, 5 & 6 of HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL, huh??

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
P.S.

I would have stopped at the end of the 30-minute shows, anyway. Gone was the crisp writing, and in it's place, the empty argument for "more character depth." The majority of the shows were padded to fill an hour and gain more commercial avails.

It's not just about the money, it's ALL about the money. :frowning:

Thaellar

Agent
Real Name
Craig
You're right. The studios prove it time and time again.

It is ALL about the money. It's ONLY about the money.

Say that over and over in your head when you go to sleep tonight and you'll wake up wiser.

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look on amazon.com at the comments folks are making about this release. I'd say that about 99% of them are in favor of tar and feathering those individuals at CBS/Paramount who are raising the price while giving us less. Is there a phone number to call to make a complaint....and would it really have any impact? Or, will the end result be a season and a one half of "Gunsmoke" with no future releases due to "lack of interest" (according to Paramount)?

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
It's a lose, lose situation. The fans lose because the price doubles and so does the timeframe for releases. Paramount loses because the sales will drop a great deal This type of greed does no one any good.

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
I was just browsing the Amazon site where I noticed that the price of the second season of Gunsmoke has INCREASED to $30.99. Looks like a gunfight in Dodge City is really brewing, now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks