Gunsmoke Season 3 on DVD!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Darrel Lantz, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Darrel Lantz

Darrel Lantz Auditioning

Columbia House has just finished with Season 2 of Gunsmoke and has started Season 3! Season One and Two each had 6 Volumes with 6-8 Episodes per DVD. The first volume of Season Three has 6 episodes. It starts with the first episode "Crack Up" from September 14, 1957 and ends with "Jesse" from October 19th, 1957.

You can get these by joining the Columbia House DVD Gunsmoke Club, by going to any of the popular auction sites and doing a search for "Gunsmoke TV DVD", and now you can also join the Columbia House "TV on DVD!" club that sells sets of shows including a five DVD set from Gunsmoke Season 1, and a 5 DVD set from Perry Mason Season 1!

No, I don't work for Columbia or anything. I'm just trying to let folks know what is available and currently this is the only way to get Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Wild Wild West, Perry Mason, and The Carol Burnett show all on DVD.

Darrel

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am holding out hope that these shows will be released in season sets by the studios. I used to get a bunch of tv shows on vhs from Columbia House and it cost me a fortune. Luckily, it looks like being release from Columbia House is a good precurser that it will be released in season sets by the studios. Batman:Animated, Airwolf and Hogans Heroes were all released by CH and now coming out from the studios.

I am dying for Wild Wild West.

3. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Howdy from Dallas Tx Darrel. Welcome to HTF [​IMG]

You'll like this forum. I've been a member since Jan 1 '05 and it would be difficult to find a more knowledgable courteous group of TV/DVD fanatics anywhere else [​IMG]

Yes, most of us know about the Columbia House offers. Todd said it best.... it's $$'s [​IMG] getting TV/DVD's from them but, like Todd, I have bought TV videos from CH in the past myself. Currently, I'm getting the WWW seris from them but I'm thinking about dropping the series since, as Todd said, we will most likely see these series sets available sooner or later.

That's why I couldn't hold out for the series release on this one [​IMG] Although expensive, the WWW DVD's are impressive with a Guest Cast and Production Notes extras for each ep. I just finished with the 1st season's DVD's (B & W) and have received 2 of the color S2's DVD's. "If I don't get out now, then I'm liable to end up with the entire series from CH" [​IMG]

4. Darrel Lantz

Darrel Lantz Auditioning

IT's gotten to be a lot more reasonable lately, and sometimes you can find a really good deal on the auction sites. I'm thinking about joining the "TV on DVD!" club because you can get Gunsmoke Volumes 1-5 as your free selection and that's 35 episodes! I don't know why they didn't make it voume 1-6 because that would be the whole first season, but it is still a far better deal then they have offered before. I don't know about the Perry Mason set it's again Volumes 1-5, but it only contains 3 episodes per DVD, and I don't know if 15 episodes are worth joining the club for. Has anyone joined this club? What are the regular club prices on TV sets like?

Darrel

5. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Hello again [​IMG]

I'm not a member of the TV/DVD club at CH so I don't know about the details of that part of CH. I get the WWW DVD's on a "quit at any time" basis at CH.

About the Perry Mason DVD's at CH: I started getting these but after discovering that this is only a "best of" set (not the complete series set) I dropped that one. I'm holding out for the PM Season set (if it's ever released outside of CH).

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Hi Darrel, welcome to HTF!

Thanks for the heads up. There is no series I want more on DVD than Perry Mason, but even with CH dropping the prices on the DVDs to $14.95 + $5 shipping its still a very expensive proposition.

From what I understand, CH currently has about 60-70 episodes of PM on DVD from various seasons. The VHS version of PM was stopped after about 120 episodes and even then the entire 1st season wasn't represented. I used to subscribe to the VHS club but stopped because of the cost.

A word of warning to those who do get PM from CH: apparently DVD #19 contains a syndication version of the "Haunted Husband" episode. No word yet on whether CH plans to fix this.

I keep hoping Image, A&E, or one of the botique labels will license this series and release it to retail. (Paramount has indicated they do not own the DVD rights.)

Steve

7. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    On the Wild Wild West DVD's, does anyone know exactly how many have been done? I think there are at least 15, going well into season two.

8. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Dan,

Not sure, but I'm at Vol 11 right now. It's early into Season 2 (the 1st color season). Maybe it's me (an old dinasaur "Black/White" guy [​IMG] ) but I seemed to like S1's better than the ones from S2. But, "it's early" as they say in the sports world [​IMG]

Nothing like the "Dr Loveless" eps....

"Ah...Mr West....how nice of you to drop in" (right after James West falls into that trap door and onto a slide to the basement where Dr Loveless and "Voltaire" are waiting)
    [​IMG]