1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Gunsmoke - Season 14 - Coming February 5, 2019

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mr. Handley, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    Just finished up Season 13 recently. Was poking around on Amazon and was delightfully surprised to see that Season 14 is coming in February! Maybe they will complete this series in my lifetime.

Flashgear, ChrisALM and bmasters9 like this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That will make it 70% done, w/30 to go!

Flashgear, Bryan^H and Jeff Flugel like this.
  3. Message #3 of 56 Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    I always wanted to watch Gunsmoke, but I've never really seen an episode. Nowadays, I understand this series along with many other classic shows are being edited for time more and more, like how there seems to be time-stretching going on when I watch Match Game on Game Show Network, so I decided to go with the DVDs. Normally, I don't buy DVDs, but since I had a large amount of gift certificates, and since the show probably needs all the sales it can get, I've ordered the first thirteen seasons in anticipation of picking the fourteenth season up on release date in February. The screencaps I've seen of recent seasons look like beautiful HD masters, and I wish we could get the series on Blu-ray.

4. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I know. Even though the show is being remastered in HD, I don't mind the degradation to SD DVD. It still looks great.

It isn't like the Little House on the Prairie troubles of starting out as BD and looking great in HD, then being only released on DVD. Thankfully Lionsgate heard the outcry from fans, and released the remainder of the series on BD as well. That was nice of them.

bmasters9, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  5. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    That's quite an investment, but you won't be disappointed. Gunsmoke is one of the best dramas ever. The first six half-hour seasons are especially excellent because James Arness as Matt Dillon is front and center in so many of them. When it expanded to an hour long in season 7 it became a little more anthology-like a la Wagon Train. But it was still a great series. Enjoy watching!

6. Message #6 of 56 Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Yes, I hope I enjoy it, but I anticipate that I will. Hopefully, there should be enough time between now and February 5th for me to get caught up.

Another part of the reason I bought them all now is that I did want the separate season volume sets, as opposed to the Wal-Mart (and more recently, Amazon) compilation releases which I know from experience must come with stacked discs inside the cases. I have to imagine that at least some of the individual sets are on their last print runs, and sooner or later the only versions available will be these multi-season compilations. When there aren't too many discs, these CBS/Paramount mega-packs are not terrible, but if there are more than ten or twelve discs, I try to avoid them.

For the curious, both volumes of the fourteenth season are currently available on Amazon at their lowest prices yet, so anyone who wants to pre-order now should be able to lock in the lowest price:

Volume 1:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KH1BWPK

Volume 2:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KH1YTTJ

I do admit to being puzzled as to why CBS persist in splitting the seasons into two volumes each, even though both volumes have been released on the same date since the eighth season in 2013. Continuity of style is noble, yes, but surely it would be slightly cheaper and more practical to release one season set as opposed to two volume sets.

bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.
  7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Are you talking about something like this, which was the way my copy of CBS' condensed Streets of San Francisco all-in-one was when I got it at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville a time back?

streetsstackeddiscs1. streetsstackeddiscs2.
    If that's indeed what you're referring to, I can see why you would prefer having the individual seasonal volumes on Gunsmoke, as the stacked discs can be awkward to deal with, especially in that you have to go through a whole lot of discs to find the disc you want with the episode you want.

For me, the way this Streets release was made was a touch irritating at first, especially as I had to make sure the discs were always in their proper order as I went through the series. I decided, however, that I could live with it, because I was enjoying that series so much, and because the series spoke for itself in how good it was; in essence, this setup became somewhat of a non-issue for me over time.

That isn't to say, however, that you don't have a valid point; as I said, I can see why you would prefer the volumes the way they were, based on ease of disc removal, among other things (at least from how I read what you're saying).

Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  8. Mr. Handley

Paul
    My Dad used to watch Gunsmoke during its original network run, but I never paid attention at the time. I didn't really get into the series until the DVDs started being released. It's now become one of my favorite shows of all-time.

9. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Yes. The CBS/Paramount Blu-ray set of NCIS Seasons 1-5 I own is very much like those pictures. In that set, it is twenty-nine Blu-rays, and the discs are stacked five or six to a spindle, with the bottom couple of discs being especially difficult to pry out--you almost have to bend the discs in half to get them out. To be fair, though, I recall that the DVD box set of the Perry Mason Complete Movie Collection I got in 2016 seems a bit better, but then, that has only fifteen discs,

Of course, if the compilations used swing trays with individual discs on individual hubs, they would be great, but then they would also be quite a bit thicker, I believe.

bmasters9 likes this.
  10. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    The way I get around this annoying problem is when I'm watching a particular set, I take all 24 discs out of the giant case and put them all into twelve 2-disc bluray cases temporarily for the duration of my viewing (or ripping).

Once I'm finished watching these 24 discs, I put them all back into their original giant 24-disc case.

bmasters9 likes this.
  11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Appreciate the response on that! Was just wanting to know if something I had was similar to what you were talking about.

That said, may I see a picture of what you're talking about with that NCIS 5-season Blu?

12. Mr. Handley

Paul
    All of my discs are stored in binders. Makes it easy to grab whatever I want to watch at any time. An added bonus is so much more storage space.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  13. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Of course. Unfortunately, I'm horrible at taking pictures, but happily, a fellow Blu-ray.com forum member did the job for me in this post. :)

I did that when I collected DVDs, but to be honest, especially with physical media waning a bit at the moment, I've found I want to keep the discs and packaging out, and I've gotten a bit more obsessive about slipcovers and the like (only because a slipcover is offered on release for the same price), though I only rarely spend more for non-standard packaging if it can be helped. This might be because all my DVD packaging was in boxes and got tossed out when we moved. I did sell most of my DVDs (in the binders) several years ago on an eBay that got up to something like $300-$400, but I think from now on, I'm going to try to maintain my entire collection as much as possible for posterity. I certainly envy Laserdisc collectors who have been able to curate a similar collection for decades, something that often keeps certain artwork, extras or feature presentations "alive" if they were only ever released on LD or LD and VHS.

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I always rip to plex

bmasters9 likes this.
  15. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I'll be ordering season 14. How many more seasons to go? It's starting to look like we may see the release of the entire series .

16. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I just picked up season 13 vol 1, I always wait for price drops

Bob_S. and Jeff Flugel like this.
  17. Jack P

Jack P Producer

At this point the question is whether the show's whole run can be released in fewer years (20) than it was on the air!

ChrisALM likes this.
  18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Rip to plex?

19. Message #19 of 56 Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Seasons 15-20. It took CBS/Paramount just over five years to release Seasons 8-13, but that includes releasing nothing in between the eleventh season in December 2014 and the twelfth season in September 2016, and then again until the release of the thirteenth season in May 2018--in other words, only two seasons in about three and a half years. So hopefully, the fact that we are getting the fourteenth season "only" nine months after the previous one, along with the fact that we're now into color episodes and coming up on the 1970s, means the last five seasons will come out a bit more quickly. I would certainly think that CBS is either done or almost done with the remastering by this point, but who knows?

By the way, I watched the first disc of the first season tonight, and I thought the episodes were excellent! It was also surreal to see the original sponsor spots as well, particularly the one that has Arness in contemporary clothes behind a contemporary office desk. Having said that, I was surprised to note that there wasn't much (any?) smoking in the actual episodes themselves on the first disc.

bmasters9 likes this.
  20. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And, IIRC, the 15th go (which will mark 75% of the run when that one comes out) will be 60s on one end, 70s on the other: the 1969-70 season.

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.