1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About Gunsmoke: One Man's Justice - DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MisterLime, Apr 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    James Arness (How the West Was Won) is back in the saddle as U.S. Marshal Matt Dillon for one last time - the character Arness immortalized in Gunsmoke (1955-1975), the most popular western show in television history and the longest running primetime dramatic TV series of all time. In Gunsmoke: One Man s Justice, desperadoes are on the loose and gun barrels are ablaze as Matt Dillon saddles up to save an innocent teenage boy out to avenge his mother s brutal stagecoach murder by a ruthless gang of outlaws. Aiding Dillon is one of the stagecoach's passengers, the mysterious Davis Healy (Bruce Boxleitner, Scarecrow and Mrs. King), a traveling salesman of considerable charm, wit and a great skill as a marksman.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmoke-Mans-Justice-James-Arness/dp/B01EBIJVWO/ref=sr_1_1_twi_dvd_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1461349228&sr=1-1&keywords=gunsmoke+one+man's+justice

Dave Lawrence likes this.
  2. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Wonderful movie! I'm usually not big on "reunion" or post-series films, but this one was excellent. I recorded it from Encore Western some years back, and still have my homemade DVD of it. I'll happily replace it in September because I just preordered the official release!

3. Message #3 of 5 Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Pathfiner

Pathfiner Second Unit

Jeff
    I enjoyed all five Gunsmoke TV Movies - even 'Return To Dodge' which a Gunsmoke forum seemed DETERMINED to hate and tried to press their 'accepted view' on everybody - anyone who ventured a differeing opinion was followed by a series of 'cross' posts pulling the thing to pieces (wonderful things 'fans' !!)

- I suspect it was really a case of the chief mentor of that forum was 'annoyed' because Matt and Kitty never got married at the end but went their separate ways again...(ah !)

- sadly this seems to be the norm on most forums whatever the subject, TV shows, Films, music , rock and pop bands, etc - one person puts up a view as 'fact' (just their own opinion in truth) and a bunch of 'sheep' agree and that idea is held by them and rigidly enforced forevermore...etc (yawn)

dare to have a different view...and you're told 'get outta town by sunset' (apt for 'Gunsmoke' !)

whatever, the Five Gunsmoke TV movies were all very well made and it was nice to see Matt Dillon's latter years

Good to see Jim Arness and Bruce Boxleitner from 'How The West Was Won' reunited here too...in the final TV Movie of the five, thus Matt Dillon's last adventure

4. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    There had to redeeming qualities in them for the series to extend to FIVE movies. Most shows are lucky to get one, maybe two, reunion type movies.

5. Message #5 of 5 Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Pathfiner

Pathfiner Second Unit

Jeff
    I think some show fans were miffed that, besides Matt and Kitty parting again at the end, Ken Curtis never came back as Festus - tho' the TV movies were far closer to earlier Gunsmoke re tone (no lighter 'soapish' edge as was often the case in latter years, when in my view Festus was often made too comedic at times) - they took the earlier more serious base and adapted it to a more modern style western setting with a post-seventies feel to it - the location filming is quite stunning (like Jim's other later western show 'How The West Was Won')

a few old regulars - Miss Kitty (an elderly Amanda Blake) , Newley (Buck Taylor) , and even Miss Hannah (Fran Ryan) 'Kitty's replacement' from season 20 reprised their old series roles in 'Return To Dodge' which was decent show continuity - while Steve Forrest reprised his evil 'Mannon' too !

Festus and Doc WERE seen in color episodes 'flashbacks' too...and all actors given vintage footage credits accordingly

'The Last Apache' was dedicated to Miss Amanda Blake who had passed away by then too...

and the woman from 'Matt's Love Story' episode - with footage from that - was featured too with Matt discovering he had a grown up daughter as a result of that memorable episode...(shades of Star Trek and Kahn from the episode; 'Space Seed')

the TV movie focus was purely on Matt in his latter years - which suited me fine - and alot of great past 'Gunsmoke' guests like Steve Forrest, Earl Holliman, Pat Hingle etc all appeared plus newer stars like Bruce Boxleitner etc

the five TV movies each had strong stories too...and were fitting finales to the famous classic TV show !

Doug Wallen and Ron1973 like this.