What's new

Gunsmoke / Maverick on DVD??? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hello - Does anyone know the status of these two tv series coming to the dvd format?
Thank you!

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Columbia House had started releasing the first season of Gunsmoke on DVD but I was recently told by them that my account was canceled and something to do with not getting any more DVDs from their supplier. I'm hoping that maybe this means the studio might be releasing season sets sometime in the future. They are releasing the reunion movies in May, and although this seems stupid to me to release the movies first, especially if they might be looking at sales of the movies to gauge interest in the series, anyone interested should probably buy the movies to show that there is interest. They're priced at around $9.96 on Deep Discount DVD, so at least they're cheap. As for Maverick, I think I read here that Warners is considering it for possible release. They're releasing season 1 of Have Gun Will Travel in May. I'll be buying that to show my support of western series being released on DVD, even though I've only seen a handful of episodes of that show. I know I'll like it though, since what I have seen I really liked. I really want Gunsmoke season sets more than anything!!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I would pay *real money* to get all the James Garner Maverick episodes on DVD! (And the Roger Moore eps weren't too shabby either!)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Gunsmoke... well... that's going to be hard to release by season sets... look at how many seasons it ran for.. about 20 seasons.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Yes there were 20 seasons but look at Star Trek, after Voyager there will be 24 Seasons out and it seems to be doing fine. They don't have to release them all at once or in a year. They could do 4 seasons a year for 5 years. I don't see any problem with this. If the price is right I'm sure the sales would be there too.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
And look at Dark Shadows--By the time MPI is done releasing those, there'll be something like 30 sets covering all 1000+ episodes! Granted, that show has a cult following, but surely a show that stayed on the air for 20 seasons must have a following too. I've been taping the hour long black and whites on the westerns channel, and the picture quality is amazing, but since I don't have a DVD recorder yet I just hate having a ton of videotapes that will wear out with repeated viewings.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Hi Tim,

There was an article in USA Today awhile back about upcoming TV on DVD. Maverick was listed as one of the shows in the works. You can probably find more info by doing a search of existing threads. Another place to search is the news archives from our friends at www.tvshowsondvd.com

You may already be aware, but several Gunsmoke reunion movies were just released on DVD. I don't know anything about the series though.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks