What's new

Gunshots in HD (1 Viewer)

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
I've noticed in every HD-DVD I've watched the gunshot sound effects sounded really weak, nowhere near as powerful or rough as I thought they used to be. Anyone else think so? I didn't like how they sounded in Full Metal Jacket, Miami Vice, Unforgiven, and The Dirty Dozen. If they release Heat they better do the sound effects right.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Have you tried Terminator 3, We Were Soldiers, Doom, Chronicles of Riddick or Swordfish?

Have you turn on dialog enhancement on your HD-DVD player? Sometimes that helps for DD+ tracks. But turn it off for TrueHD tracks.

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
I don't think mine has dialog enhancement, I'm using the 360 add on. But I'll check those movies out to see if I have the same problem.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
This is why I bought Blu-Ray instead. Way better gunshots than crappy HD-DVD!

;)

Yes I'm kidding. I actually recently watched Miami Vice on regular DVD, and the gunfire seemed pretty realistic, though it definitely wasn't giving my subwoofer a workout or anything. Been awhile since I've seen any of those other movies.

HDMS Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl Mulder

I'm just double checking you have your sound set to dolby digital in the digital output settings? The sound on the xbox 360 is incredible, better than the toshiba in my opinion, and better than the ps3.

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
Yeah I have it set to Dolby Digital with WMA Pro. Just curious, does Dolby True HD still sound as good with an optical cable instead of analog cables?

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

You will not be able to get full TrueHD quality with an optical connection, although I don't know how audible the difference might be on your system.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There's a wonderful story, possibly now apocryphal, about the premiere of Arthur Penn's Bonnie and Clyde.

Seems that every time gunfire erupted on screen, the audio would go down measurably.

Finally, after several occurences, Penn went up to the projection booth to see what the problem was, and was told by the projectionist that he was "saving" the film.

The alert projectionist felt that the gunshots had been over-modulated on the track and was doing his own remix in the booth by lowering the volume by many db each time a gun appeared.

Legend has it that Mr. Penn offered to have the helpful projectionist singing with the castrati if he touched the audio again.

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've heard that same story with Warren Beatty going into the projectionist's booth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks