What's new

Guns of Will Sonnett / Branded (1 Viewer)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Last week I ran into a box-set for "Guns of Will Sonnett" at Suncoast Video. Apparently released by King-World, as was another set devoted to the 1st season of "Branded." I thought I read somewhere that this latter set was comprised of cut 22-minute syndication prints. I figured the "Will Sonnett" set might be the same. Does anyone have any info on these? I'd likely pick up both sets, but only if they were complete, un-cut prints.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Have not heard info on either but they are both King World owned. I would pick them up but only if they are uncut versions.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Woah! I thought "Branded" only existed in "The Big Lebowski"! Was a guy named Larry Digby Sellers involved?

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I've been doing internet searches and I've found nothing for Guns of Will Sonnett. Was this a Suncoast exclusive?

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
So far, I've only seen the "Will Sonnett" set at the local Suncoast, but it would seem rather unlikely to be an exclusive. For several months it was the only store I saw the "Branded" set for sale, but that one has since seemed to circulate to other outlets.

One other little worry I had about the "Sonnett" set is that it apparently included 9 episodes on one of the discs. (It's a 3-disc set). Don't know if it's double-sided or not, though, but it made me concerned about those so-called compression problems as well. So, between potentially 'cut' syndication prints and quality questions, I'm planning to hold off until I encounter some reviews.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Well, did anyone ever get that "Branded" set, and confirm whether or not the prints were cut or un-cut? I've been eyeing the set over at the local store. There really doesn't seem to be much in the way of tv-on-dvd sets coming out in the next couple of months that interests me, and my viewing supply will shortly run dry. So, I've gone back to contemplating that "Branded" set. But, I really don't want it if the episodes are chopped to pieces. Anybody out there who can clue me in? I did read here on the boards somewhere that a 'season-2' is slated.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Both Branded and Guns of Will Sonnett are the 22 minute syndication versions. I have a few shows of each from film and they should run about 25:30. As to whether or not you get them I'll leave that up to you. I don't expect we will ever see them again in their original form, either on DVD or on the air.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I second that "darn" Bert. But I think I'm gonna try out the Branded 1st & 2nd Season sets anyway (Season 2 is coming soon). The price is right, even with the 22 minute versions.

Gary "I'm also gonna bite on the soon to be released 3rd set of 'The Rifleman'" O.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
In the main post for TV coming in 05' I lement the lack of 50's television on DVD. When it does appear it often gets no respect and winds up in the hands of the "B" list distributors. They don't get the best elements or mastering so it looks in the end like your viewing these on a 50's tv set. It's really too bad.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, the problem is that almost all 50s shows at this point have long been out of the public eye. Except for a few shows that have managed to sustain themselves (I Love Lucy, Honeymooners, TZ, Perry Mason), the vast majority of shows of this era have not been seen on a widespread basis in at least 20 years. The last outlet for many of these great shows was in the 80s on CBN and Nick at Nite when it first started. Both networks had many great shows from the 50s and 60s, not the common crap like Gilligan's Island, Munsters, etc. So at least if you were a kid growing up in the 80s who had cable (I wasn't a kid and cable didn't come to my town until 1990), you were exposed to many of the classics:
Dobie Gillis, Father Knows Best, Donna Reed, My Three Sons, Route 66, Dennis the Menace, Love that Bob, Bachelor Father, My Little Margie, I Spy, Bill Dana Show, Make Room for Daddy, Wendy and Me, Bill Cosby Show and I'm sure a few more that I'm leaving out. But it's been at least 15 years since Nick showed anything worth a damn and CBN has been gone about that long. The only outlet left for any of this programming is GoodLife and they are not on DirectTV or DISH and very few cable systems carry them. Why? Well, for one thing they appeal to baby boomers and families which are not the audience anyone is looking for. They want channels that are "edgy" (translation: vulgar). So they will add more of the same. TV Land is the equivalent of Oldies radio, playing the same .001% over and over and ignoring the rest. But because most 50s and 60s shows are completely unfamiliar to so many people, the market for these shows is too limited for the studios liking. Quality has nothing to do with it. Look, Gilligan's Island was a piece of crap 40 years ago and it still is today. I mean I liked it at the time but I was 7. That doesn't matter. What matters is that it has always been on so that subsequent generations grew up with it as well. But other vastly superior shows, like for instance The Gale Storm Show, have not aired since the late 60s and no one under 40 has a clue what they are. It's all too depressing to contemplate.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks