What's new

Guns n' Roses: Use Your Illusion I & II (1 Viewer)

Stephen Lilley

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently started beefing up my Concert DVD collection, and I keep on coming across two Guns n' Roses releases, Use Your Illusion I and II.

Anybody have them? What is the verdict? How is the audio/picture quality? How does the band sound?

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, I just picked up AC/DC: Live at Donnington for a cool $10 at Walmart. Is the *other* AC/DC concert DVD, Stiff Upper Lip, worth it as well? Or are they essentially the same thing?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There are a TON of reviews of those GNR discs on Amazon. I've considered grabbing them on numerous occasions, but never got around to it.

I don't know about Stiff Upper Lip, but Live At Donnington kicks MAJOR tuchus. Awesome show (even if the PQ ain't the greatest).

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
i bought them when they first came out on DVD. I still haven't taken them out of the wrapper yet. I remember these on VHS years ago...one was good and the other was so-so...i think just because I hadn't warmed up to use your illusion 2 at that time.

mike

MattHR

Screenwriter
I bought the Korean DTS import a few years ago. Both parts were included in the same box set. I always thought it was lame that the U.S. version was sold in two parts -- like the VHS, but the LD included both parts.

I compared my DTS import with a friend's R1, and as expected, the import was the better choice -- both sound and picture -- not to mention the nice packaging.

I ordered mine from KoreanDVDs.com. They don't appear to have the box set listed anymore, but now offer the two parts individually -- for less than $4 each!

I've had nothing but good luck ordering from them in the past.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I bought both at Best Buy. I love the performances (attended a few dates on that tour back in '92), but I think the DVD's I bought were mastered from VHS. Iffy picture quality, ok stereo, and I can see scan lines when I pause that I remember from my VHS days.
Still, Slash's take on the "Godfather" theme is worth the price, I'll never forget that...

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I just have the VHS, but my thoughts are pretty similar to the Amazon reviewers.

Great set list, all of people in the band that play instruments are doing awesome, but Axl is terrible. In about half the songs he is running around and doing everything except singing well. Put a singer like Rob Rock in Guns N Roses and they would have ruled live, instead, they only ruled in the studio after Axl lost his road voice.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
True. After the first few songs, he basically roared. Takes you back, though...tough to imagine white sneakers and a kilt being "cool". ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks