Guns N' Roses DVDs Avaliable October 28th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave-S, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Dave-S

Dave-S Auditioning

Guns N' Roses Debuts on DVD With Releases of WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS Featuring All the Band's Videos and Two Concert USE YOUR ILLUSION WORLD TOUR Home Videos

Wednesday October 15, 10:00 am ET
    LOS ANGELES, Oct. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Guns N' Roses are finally, officially, on DVD with the first-time releases on the format of WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS and the concert performances USE YOUR ILLUSION I: WORLD TOUR - 1992 IN TOKYO and USE YOUR ILLUSION II: WORLD TOUR - 1992 IN TOKYO (Geffen/UMe), released October 28, 2003. WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS, originally released on VHS in 1998, features all 13 GN'R videos seen on MTV, some of the most popular and acclaimed videos ever aired, from the burst-of-energy "Welcome To The Jungle" to the inspired "November Rain" to the epic "Estranged." The music videos to six Top 10 hits, four of them gold, are included in the 70-minute compilation. Whether filled with concert and behind-the-scenes footage, performances-for-video or powerfully evocative narratives, Guns N' Roses music videos have been among the most emotionally provocative in rock.

A winner of the prestigious Video Vanguard Award from the MTV Video Music Awards, the band's video history began with a 1988 MTV Award as Best New Artist for "Welcome To The Jungle" (#7). The following year, "Sweet Child O' Mine" (gold and the group's only #1) won for Best Metal/Hard Rock Video. Both videos, as well as the next two, "Paradise City" (1988, #5) and "Patience" (1989, #4 and gold), were directed by music video pioneer Nigel Dick.

In 1991, GN'R expanded their repertoire with more grandiose videos directed by many-time MTV Award-winner Andy Morahan. For "Don't Cry" (#10, gold), the narrative was mixed with a rooftop performance (including the late Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon). After the band's cover of Paul and Linda McCartney's "Live And Let Die" (1991, Top 40), Morahan helmed "November Rain" (#3, gold). At the 1992 VMAs, the video won three awards, for Best Cinematography, Best Special Effects, and Best Editing -- and, most significantly, GN'R won the Video Vanguard Award.

Morahan then directed 1992's "Yesterdays" and "Garden Of Eden" and 1993's "Estranged." A massive undertaking, "Estranged" was shot all over the world, from a live performance in Munich, Germany, to a supertanker off Texas to a swim-with-the-dolphins experience in the Bahamas to the Sunset Strip.

In 1992, Guns N' Roses debuted on home video with USE YOUR ILLUSION WORLD TOUR - 1992 IN TOKYO presented in two separate packages, I and II. Each is a collection of live performances of their best-known songs. Unique to these videos are performances of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," the theme from THE GODFATHER and one hell of a Drum and Guitar Solo. Each USE YOUR ILLUSION video was certified gold.

Now the original band is seen and heard once again on DVD geared to long time fans as well as the new ones discovering one of the most influential rock bands of all time -- Guns N' Roses.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: Geffen/UMe

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

this is fantstic news indeed.

I saw this tour in the Netherlands at the time and absolutely electrifying. Good to see that it is coming out on dvd

I still think there best track is Civil War, b side of T2 track

[​IMG]

3. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Had NOOOOoooo idea! YOU freakin rock! Will definitely be picking this up..

Matt

4. BrianCC

BrianCC Extra

Funny... I was in Best Buy on Tuesday (guess why), and they had a Japanese import of one of these titles! Of course, I couldn't really tell what it was (beyond the disc and song titles), since the coverart was in Japanese!

5. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

Guns N Roses?

Never heard of em.

[​IMG]

6. BrianCC

BrianCC Extra

So who gets the cash for these? Axl? Slash? Geffen?

7. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Futureshop's website also has them listed as stereo unfortunately. These kind of sound like a cash grab jumping on the success of concerts on dvd. I dont think much effort was put into these, but hopefully they turn out to be solid dvd's.

Wonder if there will be any reviews?

8. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

A GNR concert and Vids in 5.1 DTS would be the ultimate!

I will always remember when I saw them on their Illusion tour! Amazing show, and what I remember the most is when the Smashing Pumpkins got booed offstage and Billy Corgan got REALLY mad at the crowd and went into a profanity laced song!!!!

Oh it was funny, ofcourse they weren't really big then and weren't that good either, but mainly everyone wanted to see GNR!

9. BrianCC

BrianCC Extra

I saw the two Illusion shows in Dayton, Ohio. The first night, they didn't come on until after midnight ("technical problems".. yeah, right), but they played till almost 4am -- an amazing show, but everybody was too tired to appreciate it. I always remember the lines of high schoolers at the pay phones, calling Mom & Dad to tell them the show probably wouldn't be over by 11pm. :)

The second night started earlier (10:30pm), but Axl sliced his hand on a mic stand, so they only played about an hour and a half. (I don't remember it, but I read somewhere that Axl and Slash were ripping each other onstage over that incident.)

10. Vic Barry

Vic Barry Extra

Excellent...

11. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Well, I live in St. Louis.

They still call it Riotport.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Not unlike all of the various Terminator 2 DVDs, it seems to leave off the "You Could Be Mine" video co-starring Governor Schwarzenegger.

Saying it contains all 13 videos seen on MTV is kind of disingenuous if there were actually 14.

Regards,

13. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I picked up Welcome To The Videos.

Picture is fine, the stereo sound is AWESOME!

now, I need a cover scan please!

anyone know a side with one?

thanks

14. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

15. RobD

RobD Second Unit

At Last [​IMG]

I think the korean release does have DTS 5.1 for both of these BTW but I doubt its a very good mix, anyone know?

If the tracks for the Illusion tour were ripped from the LD then they should be great (Was a good quality Pioneer release) but lets at least hope for PCM stereo, Chris can you confirm??

16. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

a website that is.

sounded like PCM to me. It was NOT low at all.

enjoy!

17. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    videos are DD2.0 surround, haven't checked out the concerts yet, no time to pop them in. It's cool they're out at least...ahhh...the memories...

This was a band that was going somewhere...

Mike

18. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

19. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Same show!

20. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

I thought the sound on the Welcome to the Videos (dolby 2.0) was great. Was disappointed in the lack of You could be mine. I didn't pick up the Illusions because I've got the Brazillian versions. Those have a 5.1 soundtrack which I find slightly preferable to the 2.0 but it's mostly just crowd noise shoved to the rears so not a big deal.