Guns 'N' Roses concert in Vancouver: Axl Rose a no-show, fans riot!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 8, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I just heard this one on the news. Axl Rose was a no-show at the Guns 'N' Roses concert in Vancouver last night, and a fan riot ensued. I did a cursory search of msnbc.com and usatoday.com and found nothing about this story. If anyone has a link to the story, could you please post it? Thanks in advance.

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

From the Calgary Sun:

3. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

I can't stand Axl Rose and never could. It's gratifying, in a way, to see that he's just as much of a dick as he ever was--only a little fatter.

4. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I took this from mtv.com .

VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Thursday was supposed to be a very big night for Guns N' Roses fans: the long-awaited launch of the group's first U.S. tour in nine years.

Unfortunately, it never happened. The concert was suddenly canceled, before the doors even opened, and a riot ensued.

The show was cancelled because frontman Axl Rose was literally up in the air, still en route from Los Angeles to Vancouver. According to Guns' management, his flight's departure from L.A. had been delayed by mechanical troubles. He had been scheduled to take the stage with Guns N' Roses at 9:30 (following setsby two opening acts: the Philadelphia band CKY [see "Guns N' Roses Handpick Some Jackasses As Tour Openers"] and Beastie Boys DJ Mix Master Mike). When the GM Place managers learned, at around 8:00, that Rose hadn't even arrived in town yet, they called off the show.

Following the announcement of the cancellation, groups of ticked-off kids converged at the gates of Vancouver's General Motors Place arena. Fueled, in some cases, by strong drink and marijuana, they hoisted the long metal security barriers outside and rammed them through the glass entry doors. They threw bottles and rocks. They were angry about paying $80 US for tickets and then getting blown off, and they yelled things like, "F--- Axl, I wanna see Buckethead!" (Buckethead being one of the band's three guitarists, the mysterious guy with the mask.)

After about 20 minutes of all this, a phalanx of cops waded in with attack dogs, and things got really ugly. Those fans who escaped the police onslaught with nothing more than a faceful of pepper spray might be said to have been the lucky ones. Wielding their riot batons with seeming abandon, the cops walloped legs, arms, heads, whatever available extremity presented itself. They ganged up to pummel people even after they'd fallen to the ground. One young man was smashed in the face and had his teeth knocked out — he stumbled away in a daze, holding them in his hands, with blood pouring from his mouth.

Even as the crowd began to disperse, police continued to chase and hit and kick individual stragglers. As one young woman who claimed to have had no involvement in the rioting told a local TV news crew, "I thought, 'Oh my God, they hate every single one of us.'"

A police spokeswoman on the scene was also interviewed. She said the crowd was out of control, and described the police response as "a proper use of force."

Meanwhile, inside the venue, the members of Guns N' Roses were unaware of what was going on outside. They were simply bummed about the show's cancellation. Bassist Tommy Stinson, loitering by a backstage buffet table, said, "Axl is gonna be pissed."

The Guns camp says the aborted Vancouver show may be re-scheduled. Whether or not that'll help dispel the grim vibe surrounding this incident remains to be seen. The Canadian date was supposed to mark the triumphant resurrection of a great rock band. It wasn't supposed to go like this.

—Kurt Loder

Don't get me wrong Axl still better explain himself at tonight's show but at least it appears this was a situation beyond his control. From that release it also seems the Arena made the call to cancel even though Axl was enroute though quite late due to the plane problems.

5. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

I don't think this one's Axl's fault entirely.

From what I've read, the opening act, CKY, had 4 of 5 members delayed at the border, and they were likely going to be able to cross through okay, but a little later than planned.

Axl was en route, but had plane problems, and was delayed. Tommy Stinson said that Axl was actually in the air when the show was cancelled by the venue (around 8 PM).

I think the bands wanted to play, but would have started later than scheduled, but the venue managment cancelled.

6. Benson R

I'm glad that the major media outlets didn't pick up on this yet. Last night the internet and Vancouver media was a mess with rumors. I listened to 1130 am in vancouver over the internet, which seemed like a reputable am news staion, and they were reporting that Axl failed to show up because he didn't want to get out of bed.

If that was reported in the mainstream media this morning, the effects would be devastating to the tour even if they were later disproved.

7. Benson R

Its amazing the rumors that were circulating last night not just on message boards but on radio and a few news sights.

Some of my favorites were;

- Limo driver went to pick up Axl but wouldn't get out of bed.

- Axl busted at border for pot possesion

- Brain busted at border for carrying two pounds of pot

- Buckethead decided to quit on the night of the show

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Couldn't he have left LA a little earlier just to make absolutely sure he'd be there on time? It's not like flight delays are too unusual.
    As someone who once waited almost 3 hours after the announced time for G'N'R to take the stage , I can't say I'm too surprised. [​IMG]
    /Mike

9. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

If the other band members were their a day ahead to rehearse then why wasn't Axl there?

10. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

11. Benson R

I think the part you guys are not getting is that when the venue heard Axl was not there by 8 they went ahead and cancelled even though Axl was already in the air. He was not going on till 9:30. The show would have started late but not many hours late.

The venue screwed the pooch on this one.

Don't assume Axl should have been in Vancouver a full day early. Their tour schedule has a show at least every couple days and some days back to back. He has to depend on a plane and if their are mechanical problems that is going to be a problem. Before this tour started I'm sure Axl was still busy on the album.

I for one can't wait until the Philly show and I feel most of the people who are upset about this but were not ticketholders for last night's show are not going to any of the shows on the tour.

12. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

the problem is that axl is such a primadonna that he can't tour with the rest of the band, and sits at home in l.a., flying in at the last minute, presumably to hop on stage, do the show, and then jet right back home. the epitome of phone-it-in "professionalism.

i have no sympathy for axl, or any so-called star that chooses to act that way.

13. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

14. Benson R

I'm not upset by anyones negative opinions since I'm used to it as a long suffering Guns fan.

But my question is to all those here so upset by this, were you at least considering going to one of the shows? Bands cancel shows all the time for both good and bad reasons, but it doesn't bother me unless I was planning on going.

15. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

16. Benson R

Well obviously nobody has the whole story. The one fact is this was not planned. So since you don't have the whole story maybe now is not the time to proclaim Axl as being a brat. However I understand Axl's previous behavior causes this to be seen in a more critical light so he can't be just let off the hook.

In any event nobody has anwered my question as to why this bothers them since I'm pretty sure you had no intention of going to a show.

My point with that question is not to shut anybody up who has a negative opinion but to show that the fans, those who have tickets for the show, are still with Axl. Vancouver fans though may be a different story.

17. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Of course the G'n'R camp isn't going to report that Axl didn't give a rat's ass about his fans, are they? No--they're going to give the nebulous "mechanical problems with the airplane" excuse. If they reported differently, they might lose a good portion of their hardcore fanbase. (If they haven't already.) Bottom line, if Axl really wanted to be there, he would have. It just seems like this BS keeps happening with this band. Coincidence? I think not. [​IMG]
    Of course, I've never been a big fan of G'n'R, and I think Axl is a freakin' idiot.

18. Benson R

Sure if the truth was that Axl didn't feel like showing up the promoters would lie. But I don't think mechanical problems is a far out excuse. Shit happens.

19. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

20. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

If you believe that one I'll show you a pink elephant that can sing the national anthem while smoking a crack.

Another reason why I can't stand the personality and attitude of this band. The only reason that they are touring is because axl is broke.