What's new

Guns n' Roses announces US tour starting in November (1 Viewer)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I got the side of the stage at Sect 315 Row D. So I will have a good look at Axl & Co.

Looking forward to this one. I've always loved the GNR brand of metal.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I just caught the VMA rerun last night and, if that's any indication of what's to come, I'll pass. Axl doing a bad Axl imitation, and a bad Slash imitation (tone and all). This was my favorite extant band at their height, but it's over. I do like Axl's style, though, and I'd enjoy being wrong. I can't believe he'd intentionally be so far off-key, he seemed to be having a monitor problem.
Pink's performance, however, was enthralling, even though the song sucks (I think...I don't remember the song).

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Its nice to hear input from both sides but I think this thread is really for the hardcore fans who are going to check out the tour.

Buckethead is not a bad Slash imitation. Buckethead has been around for about a decade now, check out his solo projects. I believe many of them are under the band name Praxis though it is really just Buckethead with Primus backing him up.

I also think it is premature for everyone to keep giving the new band such a hard time. They are all accomplished enough musicians that we can wait until the album or a single comes out to start criticizing.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Has anyone been to a concert at the Firstunion Center in Philly? My seats are 1 and 2 in the 10th row in section 5. I was wondering how close to the stage that is. I can see from the seating chart that that section is behind the first 3 sections. Does anyone know how many rows are in the first sections and how many total rows that would put me back?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I wish more than anything the old band could resolve their differences and work together. But that isn't going to happen. Slash is an incredible guitarist and Axl is an incredible front man but the fact is Slash's solo projects have been lackluster. I have seen the last incarnation of Snakepit live and they were a bar band with an A list lead guitarist. What Axl has managed to do that Slash couldn't is align himself with A-list talent.

Buckethead is not trying to be Slash. I know its disconcerting to hear someone else's take on a classic but that it does not perfectly mimic the original does not make it a failure. I find Axl has tried something interesting by giving the band two lead guitarists each with different styles.

In any event we will all soon have an opportunity to judge for ourselves. I believe we will see an album within two months perhaps sooner. There are rumors of a video shoot so a single may be released in the coming weeks.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I don't know ... the band, based on the VMA performance, is indeed capable and they kicked ass ... but

To me when I go to a live show there is more than "hearing" the songs ... the original G'n R had a certain chemistry live that was addictive.

These guys are just hired hands playing in an Axl solo band.
It is like watching a bar cover band at an arena .. this just does not make sense.

To each his own ...

Benson R

Supporting Actor
It is like watching a bar cover band at an arena
How many cover bands feature one of the greatest technical guitarists of the current generation? Slash is irreplaceable but as for the rest of the former members they were good but not incredible. I think Brain is probably the best drummer guns has had and Tommy Stinson can hold his own. I think the real loss besides Slash is Izzy, but not for his playing ability, but for his song writing contributions.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
How many cover bands feature one of the greatest technical guitarists of the current generation?
Guns'n Roses was never about that anyway ... "technical guitar playing"?!?!? They were a kick ass rock'n roll band with serious bar band attitude.

Real f'n rock'n roll ... now ... I am not so sure.

It certainly should not be called Guns'n Roses. It's like Mick Jagger going solo and calling his band the Rolling Stones. Get my point?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Alright, Benson, you know more about this lineup than I do so now you've got me excited. :) I was just judging, admittedly, on that short performance, but I do look forward to hearing new, original Axl material.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to add a quick update.

A popular rumor going around right now is that GNR will release "Catcher in the Rye" as a single by Oct 15.

This is just a rumor but you would have to think with the tour starting in November Axl needs to release something to get the hype machine started.

Also apparently the MSG show sold out in 15 min! The other shows are also selling well. It looks like the public wants to check this out so it is up to Axl to prove himself worthy of all the buildup.

If anyone else finds out any information they can add please do.

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
Axl sounds great and so does the new band, but I don't think they're GNR. Axl sould have gotten a new name for the band.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
If Slash, Izzy, Duff and either Matt or Steven are there, then that's awesome! Otherwise, I don't think I'd be very interested.
And I couldn't agree with your opinion of the new GnR. I think they sound awesome. People need to get over Slash, Duff and Izzy.
Just the people that are dismissing GnR without even giving them a chance.
I don't care if it's not the original band, Axl will provide more than enough entertainment.
Guns & Roses without Slash....I don't know about this.
I have no doubts that this new band is every bit as capable as the old GNR was.
Everyone needs to get over Slash and look beyond the KFC hat and really listen how awesome the new guys are.
I also think it is premature for everyone to keep giving the new band such a hard time.
I wish more than anything the old band could resolve their differences and work together. But that isn't going to happen.
These guys are just hired hands playing in an Axl solo band.
It certainly should not be called Guns'n Roses.
Axl sounds great and so does the new band, but I don't think they're GNR. Axl sould have gotten a new name for the band.
Boy, does this sound like the Pink Floyd debate, or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks