Gunga Din (1939)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Gunga Din (1939)

Genre: Adventure, War, Comedy

Director: George Stevens

Cast: Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Sam Jaffe, Eduardo Ciannelli, Joan Fontaine, Montagu Love, Robert Coote, Abner Biberman, Lumsden Hare, Leslie Sketchley, Olin Francis, Ann Evers, Audrey Manners, Fay McKenzie, Lal Chand Mehra, Clive Morgan, Roland Varno, Frank Leyva, Cecil Kellaway, George Du Count, Reginald Sheffield, Bryant Fryer, Charles Bennett, Jamiel Hasson, George Regas, John Alban, Joe De La Cruz, Joe McGuinn, Richard Farnsworth, Sam Harris, Thom Metzetti, Art Mix, Satini Pualoa, Allen Schute, Paul Singh, Tom Tamarez, Carlie Taylor, Bruce Wyndham

Release: 1939-01-26

Runtime: 117

Plot: British army sergeants Ballantine, Cutter and MacChesney serve in India during the 1880s, along with their native water-bearer, Gunga Din. While completing a dangerous telegraph-repair mission, they unearth evidence of the suppressed Thuggee cult. When Gunga Din tells the sergeants about a secret temple made of gold, the fortune-hunting Cutter is captured by the Thuggees, and it's up to his friends to rescue him.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'd say you're right about who has the ball. One of the best action movies ever filmed.

I wonder if it has taken so long for this picture to make it's appearance on Blu because it may be something Criterion would have licensed. This and Bringing Up Baby are the one-two Grant combination I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The HD digital on iTunes is currently selling for $6.99 which is the lowest it's ever been. I'm hoping somebody here purchases it so that Warner decides to announce a Blu-ray release or licences it out to Criterion.:laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if it has taken so long for this picture to make it's appearance on Blu because it may be something Criterion would have licensed. This and Bringing Up Baby are the one-two Grant combination I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for.
See my previous post.:D

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have kept holding off on purchasing the DVD because I keep thinking a Blu-ray release is right around the corner. My resolve is weakening as I've had a huge urge to watch this over the last few months.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s an RKO title which means that the elements are in poor shape, which makes it difficult to release on physical media in HD due to Warner’s internal “perfect or not at all” policy on catalog titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess the same can be said about another RKO title Journey Into Fear so that's two great films i hope to see on blu-ray soon.
Granted there are many RKO movies remaining that need to be released on Blu-ray. However, there is hope as the following RKO titles have been released on Blu-ray:

• Citizen Kane
  • The Thing From Another World
  • Out of the Past
  • King Kong
  • Suspicion
  • Murder, My Sweet
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • The Live By Night
  • The Set-Up
  • Blood on the Moon

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Criterion did a great job on Bringing Up Baby, DG would be a wonderful project for Criterion!!

Attachments

• Gunga_Din_(1938_poster).jpg
    Gunga_Din_(1938_poster).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Granted there are many RKO movies remaining that need to be released on Blu-ray. However, there is hope as the following RKO titles have been released on Blu-ray:

• Citizen Kane
  • The Thing From Another World
  • Out of the Past
  • King Kong
  • Suspicion
  • Murder, My Sweet
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • The Live By Night
  • The Set-Up
  • Blood on the Moon
the studio output in the year 1939 is a mind blower to me. Many of my favorite titles are from that prestigous year!! What titles from 1939 are on your hitlist?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Any news on this wonderful film coming to Blu-ray? Warner Archive has the ball, I'd say...
I always loved the charactor actor Montagu Love, here in this film, the Mark of Zorro, and really he added to any film he was in.

Attachments

• MontaguLove.jpg
    MontaguLove.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 31

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'd say you're right about who has the ball. One of the best action movies ever filmed.
What a cast, and Sam Jaffe did a wonderful job!! He always brought a real human touch to any role he played, and they were diverse.

Attachments

• 3236021.jpg
    3236021.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 58

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Any news on this wonderful film coming to Blu-ray? Warner Archive has the ball, I'd say...
You're right, also in the RKO catalog, released years ago as a 2fer DVD title is another of my adventure favorites, both versions of The Prisoner of Zenda ( the Ronald Coleman 1937 /Stewart Grainger 1952). These also could use some restoration love and BD release!!!

Attachments

• 51+NFto-mAL.jpg
    51+NFto-mAL.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 47

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Much of "Gunga Din" was filmed in the Alabama Foothills in Lone Pine, California. I enjoy this film for many reasons, but one of them is to revisit an area I am familiar with after many years of long distance running the "Wild Wild West Marathon, 50K, and 10 Mile" runs through these foothills. It's coming up May 7th, 2022.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks