What's new

"Gun To My Head" BD Viewing (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I seem to have an increasing list of once loved movies that now make me run screaming out of the room. I’d only watch them now “with a gun to my head”. Here is a starters list off the top of my head:

1) The Sound Of Music:eek:
2) Fiddler On The Roof?:eek:
3) Grease:eek:
4) The Lord Of The Rings Series:eek:

What ones have worn out their welcome with you?

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
A couple of summers ago I ended up seeing Jaws about 3 times on blu and it had returned to theaters. Now, I've always loved the film, saw it back in 1975 in a cinema, and once we hit the VHS/laser disc/DVD/blu-ray period I watched it basically at least once every year in the summer. And for whatever reason I now am burned out on it. Which I am a bit sad about because the blu-ray is beautiful and I felt like I would watch it annually but now I just have no urge. I look at the blu-ray case and the entire film plays out in my head and I just don't feel like watching it again right now.

Another film I just have no urge to watch I have just seen too many times is Casablanca. I have just seen the film so many times because so many people seem not to have seen it or it is somebody's favorite film that there have just been a ridiculous amount of times that I have been put in a position of watching it again. I never loved it as much as others did anyway but I thought it was a good film so watching it over and over just killed it for me.

Then there is something like Gone with the Wind. Now, I was introduced to this film through a massive poster for the picture in a friends foyer. I was about 12 or 13 and a huge movie fan and when I would walk into this friend's house I was greeted every time by a massive poster for Gone with the Wind because his mother was a huge fan of the film. She described the film to me as "the greatest film ever made and it will never be topped" which is rather gigantic hype so I was excited to see it. I knew of the film but just had never watched it and I knew it was considered a classic. I had seen many other classic films and loved them and so when I was invited over to see it, on VHS, to this friend's house I was thrilled that I was going to finally see Gone with the Wind. Now, I was about 13 I think and I watched it and thought it was utter garbage. I pretended to think it was good at the time because everybody else in the room was glowing about it. I felt like I must be missing something. Over the years I would try watching the film again, and again, and again feeling like there has to be something I am just not understanding. I could see the costumes and the production design and the photography were all well done...but the story, the acting, and the pacing were...well...atrocious.

I would watch the film in my 20s thinking the teen in me could not grasp it. Then in my 30s, then in my 40s, and once more attempted to get through the film when I turned 50. Nope, every time I felt this is an awful picture. Horrid in just about every way aside from how it looks. This of course would get me a lot of grief when speaking with other classic film fans as the film is quite revered by so many of them. I tried, really tried to like it. Kept checking back with the picture over the years trying to see if it would finally hit me...but no...it just got worse and it baffles me that it has such a following.

It was only recently that I discovered I was not alone and none other than Stanley Kubrick felt Gone with the Wind was utter crap. Hearing that after decades of trying to find a way to like or at least respect the picture I felt vindicated...and now if somebody asks me to watch it I can say without feeling I am the only person that does not like the picture "Not even if you put a gun to my head."

Last edited:

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I don't tend to rewatch films all that much, there's simply too many I haven't yet seen, and I have quite a backlog to attend to. I also have films I've been meaning to revisit for years now. There's a handful of films I find extremely compelling, and every once in a while I'll revisit with the intention of just maybe studying a particular scene, only to get so sucked up in it I can't help watching all the way through to the end.

Generally speaking if it's a movie I absolutely love, I try to avoid wearing it out and becoming over-familiar. There was a point where I'd become so familiar with Disney's The Jungle Book that I could anticipate every line, every sound effect, every music cue, every animation glitch. You lose all perspective at that point; there's no suspense, no surprise.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The one film that immediately comes to mind is the original Star Wars. I saw this film so many times theatrically and later on VHS, and Laserdisc that I believe the centers of my brain that process this film were burned out. (I've owned it on DVD and Blu-Ray but only sparingly watched it on those formats.)

Picture a dead, desiccated rat with its pitiful paw stuck on a pleasure dispensing bar and that was me and Star Wars in the 70's - 90's. :)

- Walter.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The one film that immediately comes to mind is the original Star Wars. I saw this film so many times theatrically and later on VHS, and Laserdisc that I believe the centers of my brain that process this film were burned out. (I've owned it on DVD and Blu-Ray but only sparingly watched it on those formats.)

Picture a dead, desiccated rat with its pitiful paw stuck on a pleasure dispensing bar and that was me and Star Wars in the 70's - 90's. :)

- Walter.
Yes but with SW ep. IV ANH with every new format it's like you're watching a different film ;) ...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There are movies I watch again and again, just trying to like them. Seems my time could better be spent by watching DVD's and Blu-ray's I own that I haven't ever watched once. What's up with that? Good topic for a psychology class! The films I am "supposed" to revere, according to overwhelming critical support, but which I just can't get into, are many, but I'll only list a few here:

I would rather watch BUCKET OF BLOOD for the 4th time rather than L'AVVENTURA for the second.

Better for me: A fifth viewing of MISSILE TO THE MOON rather than a single revisit to O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

I'd rather have a tooth pulled than to check out SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER for a second time.

Give me a Blu-ray copy of ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS and I will give you THREE WOMEN.

SUNDAY, BLOODY SUNDAY gets sold long before I give up THE STEWARDESSES (3D).

Just a few.

It's all a matter of personal taste, of course. And I love other movies by the directors of the above. Just bad chemistry, and leave it at that.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I can add a few films I saw over and over (sometimes 3X a day) when I taught high school English.

Death of A Salesman (With Dustin Hoffman) — I can recite it!
To Kill A Mocking Bird
Of Mice And Men
Romeo and Juliet — Zeffirelli.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

- Walter.
I've done that with some movies. I find that it helps to put them on the shelf for a while, and the movie will become more attractive.

Now it's time for bed and I hope I can get the vision of the poor rat out of my mind. :P

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I would say that there's movies that I've seen so many times that I burned out on and I now avoid them so I can enjoy them more by seeing them less. I watch the Star Wars movies maybe once or twice a year now and when I worked in a video store in college, I'd see them that many times in a day.

There's horror movies- The Last House On The Left and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre- that I like to avoid so they can keep their power to unnerve me.

In terms of stuff that I used to love but now can't stand, it's more things that I loved as a kid that don't live up to the memories. The biggest ones probably being The Goonies and the Transformers & G.I. Joe cartoons.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
In terms of stuff that I used to love but now can't stand, it's more things that I loved as a kid that don't live up to the memories. The biggest ones probably being The Goonies and the Transformers & G.I. Joe cartoons.

That's too bad. G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Thundercats are three cartoons that can transport me back to being 12 years old again when I watch them. I even made a program guide to air just as they did together in 1985. They are true holy grails among my thousands of DVD's.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Mine are mostly horror/gore fests. I actually liked slasher films in the 70s/80s but then they became sadistic and cruel.

Others....

Winter's Bone (almost anything with Jennifer Lawrence but this one in particular)
Foreign films...yes, this makes me shallow etc but I find them nihilistic and so downbeat overall.
Post-apocalypic movies. I tend to view the future a little more optimistically.
Angela's Ashes....just a lovely movie experience (sarcasm font)
Super hero/comic book adaptations..... milennials. I hate milennials.

I think, overall, I like to be entertained when spending $. I don't like to feel worse when I leave a movie than when I entered.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Would you believe ..... none? If I love/like a movie that love/like remains always. But I watch these movies when I'm "in the mood" for them. I haven't been in the mood for Singin' In The Rain for a few years now but that doesn't mean I love it any less or need a gun to my head to make me watch it. On the other hand, I watch Pillow Talk (my go to "comfort food" movie) about once a year! Reading some of the responses, it doesn't appear that some of these movies were loved in the first place (like Reggie and GWTW) so they don't seem to fit in with the "once loved but not anymore" original post. There are dozens of classics I disliked from my first watch (It's A Wonderful Life, Grapes Of Wrath, Shadow Of A Doubt, Clockwork Orange, Last Year At Marienbad to name a handful) so why would I watch them a second time and I certainly don't need to justify my disliking them. But I've never gotten tired of a film I love/like :) but then again, I don't watch them until they wear out their welcome.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's too bad. G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Thundercats are three cartoons that can transport me back to being 12 years old again when I watch them. I even made a program guide to air just as they did together in 1985. They are true holy grails among my thousands of DVD's.
I feel bad even saying that I don't like it because I know it's such an essential part of the childhood of so many people my age.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think I'd go so far as to say that anything I like or once liked would be gun-to-my-head viewing, but I will say that I used to really love The Lord of the Rings movies. Then The Hobbit happened, and that was so much worse that it has turned me off to the whole series now. If I pulled the DVDs of The Lord of the Rings off the shelf, I'm sure I would like them, but I haven't felt any desire to do so in many years (but I won't get rid of theme either.) Jackson should not have gone back to that well in a lesser version of what he did the first time, but of course he did, and of course it made WB a ton of money while somewhat tarnishing the legacy of the original trilogy by connection and diminishing returns. I never bought the Blu-rays either.

I still think there's a good movie in The Hobbit somewhere -- a single good movie -- but it's buried under so much bloat and excess crap that you can't find it. That movie needed to be two and a half hours adapting a children's adventure novel and not stretch it out to mimic the epic fate-of-the-world quest that its sequel was.

I also grew out of Daredevil and Men in Black II (the latter of which I never really loved, but originally accepted because it was the sequel to something I liked, but now just ignore.)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Would you believe ..... none? If I love/like a movie that love/like remains always. But I watch these movies when I'm "in the mood" for them. I haven't been in the mood for Singin' In The Rain for a few years now but that doesn't mean I love it any less or need a gun to my head to make me watch it. On the other hand, I watch Pillow Talk (my go to "comfort food" movie) about once a year! Reading some of the responses, it doesn't appear that some of these movies were loved in the first place (like Reggie and GWTW) so they don't seem to fit in with the "once loved but not anymore" original post. There are dozens of classics I disliked from my first watch (It's A Wonderful Life, Grapes Of Wrath, Shadow Of A Doubt, Clockwork Orange, Last Year At Marienbad to name a handful) so why would I watch them a second time and I certainly don't need to justify my disliking them. But I've never gotten tired of a film I love/like :) but then again, I don't watch them until they wear out their welcome.

I do believe none because I'm in the same camp.

The nearest I've ever come to hating a film I once liked was just a few days ago. When Jacqueline Bisset first appeared in films in the late 1960s, I found her irresistible and made a point of seeing all her movies. One was called The First Time. I didn't think it was very good. I tried watching the DVD-R last week and gave up before Jacqueline Bissett's first scene. The opening segment is about three thoroughly uninteresting male adolescents and after ten minutes I was losing patience. I'm going to try again in the next few days but I'll start about half-way through!

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
2001 a space bore - never could see why this film was so praised.

Lawrence of Arabia- another bore-like watching grass grow.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I don't think I'd go so far as to say that anything I like or once liked would be gun-to-my-head viewing, but I will say that I used to really love The Lord of the Rings movies. Then The Hobbit happened, and that was so much worse that it has turned me off to the whole series now. If I pulled the DVDs of The Lord of the Rings off the shelf, I'm sure I would like them, but I haven't felt any desire to do so in many years (but I won't get rid of theme either.) Jackson should not have gone back to that well in a lesser version of what he did the first time, but of course he did, and of course it made WB a ton of money while somewhat tarnishing the legacy of the original trilogy by connection and diminishing returns. I never bought the Blu-rays either.

I still think there's a good movie in The Hobbit somewhere -- a single good movie -- but it's buried under so much bloat and excess crap that you can't find it. That movie needed to be two and a half hours adapting a children's adventure novel and not stretch it out to mimic the epic fate-of-the-world quest that its sequel was.

I also grew out of Daredevil and Men in Black II (the latter of which I never really loved, but originally accepted because it was the sequel to something I liked, but now just ignore.)
I always thought that the LOTR would have made a great 4 movie set and the Hobbit a better 2 movie set.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I used to think that I HAD to love 2001 and Clockwork Orange because they were by Kubrick and they were highly revered. I absolutely can't stand either one of these films nowadays. I used to force myself to watch them and "pretend" I enjoyed them. I still love Dr. Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut but those former two "essential" Kubrick films aren't up to the hype that has been built around them in my opinion. I also can no longer tolerate the Star Wars films although I will watch the new ones once. I also don't really enjoy Vietnam war era films anymore either outside of Apocalypse Now. I used to like Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, We Were Soldiers... etc. Not anymore.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter

Speaking of Singin' in the Rain, I love the film EXCEPT . . . the "Broadway Melody" segment is pure torture, just another example of Gene Kelly going "artistic" and ending up pretentious. It's also the only part of the film that has dated; the rest of it is timeless. Thanks to DVD and Blu, though, I can improve the film by hitting chapter advance!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Good subject. Something that's happened to me the last few years is looking at a long loved film...& getting bored about halfway through it! Maybe it's all to easy these days with the shelf packed with movies, another reason not to over-view a favourite film. Also, maybe it's not all the getting of wisdom as we get older, I seem to be getting shallower, I wouldn't even attempt some books that I read easily 30-40 years ago, as for films, my attention span is shrinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sajidjadoonisbb
Recent bookmarks