GUN FURY and other 3-D westerns

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steve Phillips, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

GUN FURY, with Rock Hudson and Donna Reed, is scheduled for release on DVD by Sony on May 31. It's a pretty good movie that is even better when seen as intended in 3-D. I was fortunate enough to see a recent revival screening in the dual projection in the original polarized, clear glasses process. Amazing.

Too bad the DVD will be flat only; they could have easily included a field sequential 3-D print for use with shutter glasses along with the modified flat print.

There were a whole slew of 3-D westerns in the 50's, and the process was really well suited to the genre. Some of them were rowdier than others with the gimmicks, but GUN FURY avoided that for the most part. Other 3-D westens included CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER, THE STRANGER WORE A GUN, HANNAH LEE, JESSE JAMES VS THE DALTONS, THE NEBRASKAN, THE MOONLIGHTER, SOUTHWEST PASSAGE, WINGS OF THE HAWK, TAZA: SON OF COCHISE, HONDO with John Wayne, THE BOUNTY HUNTER and THE COMMAND, though the last 2 were released flat only as far as I know.

All of these, like most 3-D movies, were shown in clear glasses, polarized form, so it wouldn't be a good idea to convert them to the inferior red/blue anaglyph process as that would not look anything like the original movie at all. (HONDO was shown on TV in anaglyph form and it didn't look very good) This would be simpler for DVD, but not worth the trouble as the results are so poor.

It would be cool to see some 3-D western collections (Warners and Columbia made the most) in field sequential form. They of course would have to have the flat 2-D version on there too, but that's obvious.

It's all very unlikely and probably the only hope is that a studio would license the 3-D versions out to someone like Sensio for use with their 3-D processor, which uses a similar system to field sequential but one that requires a lot more expensive equipment! Still, not impossible, as Disney/Dimension sanctioned the recently released, legit SPY KIDS 3-D Extreme 3-D edition in Sensio format, which presents the film in full color 3-D for the first time.

Maybe they're all waiting for true HD DVD for 3-D! That might be the best bet, who knows?

2. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    I saw another, excellent 3-D "western" at Film Forum's "Essential Westerns" series, Roy Ward Baker's Inferno (1953), starring Robert Ryan and Rhonda Fleming. Set in the early fifties, when it was made, Ryan stars as a bitter, spoiled millionaire left for dead in the desert with a broken leg by his wife (Fleming) and her prospector lover (William Lundigan). Ryan must become resourceful and swing the audience over to his corner in a relatively short amount of time. There are some tense moments and an excellent performance from Ryan, which Tom Hanks and the makers of Cast Away could certainly learn from. Really fine use of 3-D effects, but I think it would still work quite well in 2-D. Never released on any home video format.

3. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Sony had struck new prints of the entire classic Columbia 3-D library for the 2003 3D Expo, which were all stunning. It wouldn't take much effort on Sony's part to offer two versions presented as a deluxe edition DVD. And with most of the 1950's titles being under 90 minutes, a typical dual layer DVD could store two versions of the feature (2D & 3D) on one disc and still look fine, although I still prefer the two disc approach myself.

These features are now over fifty years old. So for the younger generation, offering a 3-D option could end up being a primary incentive to purchase. ..Boost those sales ... (Hint, hint, Sony.... [​IMG] )

4. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Was Warner's Western "The Command" shot in 3D?

I was pretty sure that it was their first feature photographed in CINEMASCOPE.

I still have a few original 35mm Anamorphic/4 track Magnetic film cells of "The Command" that I obtained back in the mid Fifties.
    Amazingly after all this time they still haven't turned pink.

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Doug -

Yes, The Command was also photographed in a separate 3-D version, which was never released. So this was one of those rare cases where a film was actually photographed twice for two different screen processes. Reports are that Warner still has the original 3-D elements.

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Stunt Coordinator

Shameless self-promotion time! Take a look at the 3-D filmography, compiled by Yours Truly over at From Script to DVD, which will provide all the technical info you need for virtually every feature length 3-D movie ever made. It was updated recently and now includes a slew of new titles (mostly of the [ahem!] rude kind - BLUSH). Oh, and don't forget to check out the rest of the site, which will interest anyone hoping to get into the movie biz themselves, STAR WARS fans, and those with a fondness for 70mm presentations. The URL:

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/3-D_filmography.htm

7. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    For the few of us that post to this forum on 3-D field sequential DVD, I don't think we will see any of the 1950's 3-D films released until HD DVD or something other kind of format is used. Right now, in order to view field sequential DVD's, your monitor has to be set to the interlaced mode. Some projectors, like my DLP front projector, only display in 480p. So, I'm stuck watching them on my 27 inch TV in 480i which only gives you 240 lines of resolution for each eye.

8. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

My progressive scan DLP projector displays excellent field-sequential 3-D! Ditto for a few other HDTV display devices I've used previously.

9. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille