GUMP review up at DVDFILE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_S, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

2. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

It definitely sounds like a keeper!

3. Don Myles

Don Myles Stunt Coordinator

Mine was dispatched last night - hope it arrives tomorrow. Pleeeassse.
    Don

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

A very nice review. I never bought into the back-lash that went on after this movie was released. I enjoyed the sentimentality of the movie. Anyway, didn't all of us at one point time have a Jenny. I will be getting this DVD and playing many, many times.

5. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I have to say that I was a little disappointed with what the review said about the technical quality of the release. Still, it isn't stopping me from buying this movie on DVD and watching many, many times in the years to come.
    DVD Reviews on the net are just one amatuer's opinion anyway.
    Regards,
    Dan

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I've always had a problem with people dissing a film that made this much money. Obviously, SOMEONE liked it. I know I did. I'll never apologize for that. Yes, it's hokey. Yes, it's unrealistic. You know what? I don't care. I think that we're sorely lacking in this kind of film in today's depressing, "it has to be gritty or cynical or nobody will watch it" film world. Give me a sappy Frank Capra-esque fantasy any day.

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Dan,
    I'm pretty much in agreement with the majority of aspects covered in DVD File's review. The transfer does indeed have its faults, it's like I said in my mini review here the other day, image detail in close up is strong, but in the wider shots it felt a little muddy and the flickering from the print at the start is a tad off putting, but there's not a lot to complain about as the film progresses.
    The set is really going to please fans I think. I did the second commentary last night and finished up with going over the last extras I had left on disc 2 earlier today, I really could not be more pleased. I still feel the overall presentation is just top notch (I really do love the elegance of the menus), I just hope that there's more to come like this from Paramount.
    Dan (UK)

8. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

I always trust DVDFile for it's reviews.
    Having said this, I'm somewhat upset with the fact that it gives away the fate of one of the main characters, in the first two opening paragraphs of the review.
    Spoilers!
    Moe.
    [Edited last by Moe Maishlish on August 17, 2001 at 11:31 AM]

9. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Moe, I can't speak for the reviewer, but I am assuming that this is really not a spoiler for anyone. Since it has been 7 years since the movie was released, anyone who is reading the review at DVDFile would have already seen the movie before.

11. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer