What's new

Gummi Bears to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Thanks Gord, I was leery of that, told my wife and daughter
and they were like, "but it says it's warranty?"
Me, I'm more on the safer than sorry mode!
G2

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy these series (grouped/large volumes with at least a hope for completing the series) from Disney DVD without a moment's hesitation!

DuckTales
Gummi Bears
Darkwing Duck
Goof Troop
Aladdin the Series
TaleSpin
Chip n Dale
Quack Pack
Gargoyles (please let there be a 2nd season 2nd vol!)

As far as the injustice being done Quack Pack and Goof Troop, I haven't yet decided whether or not to cast my support for these products. There's a good review of Quack Pack vol 1 at ultimatedisney.com (I am new so I can't link yet). I don't know if by not purchasing it, the statement is that "Consumers have no interest in this show" or if Disney would get the drift that the 3 volume thing worked for VHS, but not for modern media standards. (At least for remotely serious fans) I've tried to find contact information or any information on Disney DVD (DuckTales/ChipnDale) releases on their website - what a mess that place is. Impossible to find anything really. I'm very disappointed by the way Quack Pack and Goof Troop were handled. :frowning:

I'm curious to see if 'banned' episodes of the various Toon Disney shows will appear on the DVD sets, sure hope so.

Example (from Wikipedia)
There is an episode of this series that has been banned from television. The episode Hot Spells is about Gosalyn wanting magical powers like Morgana. She is unable to attain them at the speed she desires, and, becoming impatient, she is easily maneuvered by the devil in order to access forbidden knowledge to attain this power in order to force Darkwing to relinquish his soul to save her. However, the demon makes the hasty mistake of simply lying to her that the contents of forbidden knowledge room were replaced with permitted material, which meant Gosalyn honestly believed that she was allowed to use the room. This mistake means she is actually innocent by a technicality, although she should have asked one of the librarians to confirm this claim, thus allowing her to save her father. The very fact that a Disney-related show had any reference to Satan (and was even allowed to air a few times) is unusual.

Joe:C

Second Unit
I still don't see the logic in releasing the Chip N Dale and Ducktales sets without the pilots.

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Francis Pannozzi
Since Disney has started releasing Gargoyles (I still gotta buy the Season 2: Volume 1 Box set), DuckTales, Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, Quack Pack (and even some New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh on various Pooh DVDs) on DVD, and they're planning to release Darkwing Duck on DVD, I think Adventures of the Gummi Bears, TaleSpin, Bonkers, and maybe the Wuzzles and Raw Toonage will be released on DVD in the not-to-distance future. Hmmm, maybe they could the complete series of the Wuzzles (the Wuzzles only lasted 13 episodes, and FYI, one of the episodes, "Bulls of a Feather", was released theatrically in the UK) at the same time as the first volume of Gummi Bears because Gummi Bears and the Wuzzles primered simultaniously in 1985 (they were the first ever made-for-TV cartoon series from Disney!). and the comolete series of Raw Toonage (which is said to only have 12 episodes, but I got a feeling in my gut that there were 13 episodes) could maybe be released simultaneously with Bonkers because Bonkers first appeared on Raw Toonage. But in order for Raw Toonage to be on DVD, Disney would have to get permission from Marsu Productions, the owners of Marsupilami, a European comic character that appeared in Raw Toonage (and later appeared in his own series that Disney made, and recently appeared in a European cartoon, but that's another story). Also, there were about 25 produced episodes of Bonkers with Miranda Wright, but only 19 aired (more info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonkers). Hmmmm, I wonder if the 6+ lost episodes still exist somewhere....

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
It's just a question of how they'll be released that has me cringing... if they announce Gummi Bears in 3-episode format per volume format (ie, abandon all hope all ye who enter here for a complete collection), I'll just about cry. :frowning:

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator

WOOHOO! That is the best TV DVD news I've heard in a while, I can't wait to watch those again. If it's announced in random 3 episode volumes, I will cry-

This almost makes up for the rumors of the abandonment of Gargoyles, and its final volume at that. Wait, no, it doesn't. But it's still really great news

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Gummi Bears?! *bouncing here and there and everywhere* ;) Seriously, I'm glad. I barely remember the show now, I was so young when it was on TV. But I want to see it again. Better be in chronological volumes, like they're doing for Darkwing Duck, etc.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
This is excellent news, I saw some episodes of this show and it really held up well for me, plus, I'm estatic that they finally announced more Ducktales & Rescue Rangers, I was beginning to get worried the second volumes weren't coming.

Paul

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
Gummis - http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6251

DuckTales - http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6250

Chip 'n' Dale - http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6249

Wow, Disney, wow. I am beyond impressed. They seem to finally have their heads on straight, I'm now optimistic that the entirety of these classic toons will make it to DVD. This is excellent news. :)

Thank you Gord & Dave for brining us this fantastic news. It made my day!

Now, to make it complete, they just need to finish the last volume of Gargoyles!

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm not complaining since we basically are getting half the series of the Gummi Bears, but in reality it is 29 half hour episodes of Gummi Bears with some of those episodes broken in two because they had two stories in order to make it 47 "episodes."

This is awesome news by Disney, they have sort of filled the void this year left by Hanna Barbera being less aggressive with their Classic Cartoon DVD releases.

Paul

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed this too, the episode count. What's great is that, Seasons 4-6 total to 36 half hour episodes, just a bit more than 29, as you stated, for Volume 1. Given that they probably didn't want to split seasons, this makes me optimistic that Disney intends to complete this series, and in two volumes, which is grrreat. I don't believe I have ever seen any of the later episodes of the show!

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
Yeah I just finished Volume 1 (Seasons 1 - 3) and would like to finish off the series as well.

Pretty awesome bargain when it came out in November `06 too. Granted, there are no extras, it's very bare bones...

The box claiming "47 episodes" is kind of a cheat though, given that many are half-sized when the show would sometimes have two story segments within its 22 minutes. Funnily enough, in comparison, some of the full length episodes feel a lot longer than that and are often more ambitious in scope, sometimes a little bit epic for this series.

Took me several months to get through the whole thing (more something to fall asleep to or eat breakfast over when you're not in the mood to read the paper--it's not something I can see marathoning, not really). Nice nostalgia trip, great animation, awesome voice acting (Gruffi, Gusto, and Tummi were my fave characters), and just about any episode about the Bears' history/artifacts was interesting.

Funny how Cavin seemed to pretty much get written out in favor of Princess Calla. He starts the series out, is important in a few eps, but then once Calla discovers the Gummis and befriends Sunni, you barely see Cavin again until one lone episode near the end of the set (when the castle full of Gummis appears briefly...the "Gummadoon" ep). I dunno, maybe he features heavily into the later eps. It's not like he's a great character or anything, just something I noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks