What's new

Gumball Rally and Corvette Summer on DVD: When? (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I grew up in the 70's and two movies that I grew up watching and really wish were available on DVD are The Gumball Rally and Corvette Summer. TGR was a pre-Cannonball Run race-fest based on the real thing that still takes place and a much better attempt to capture the spirit and fun of cross-country racing, in my opinion. CS was a corny movie Mark Hamill made right after the first Star Wars movie. Corny, but still fun in many ways.

Is anyone else waiting for these two movies to hit DVD or for that matter know if they'll ever become available? I'm trying to build my collection of movies I grew up watching and these two titles are essential.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm waiting as well. I have never seen GUMBALL RALLY but many people have recommended it to me, so if it comes out on DVD I'll pick it up day-and-date.
I did see CORVETTE SUMMER and enjoyed it a lot. It would be nice with a Mark Hamill commentary.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Yeah Gumball Rally is a hoot! It had colorful characters and classic sports cars. I saw Michael Sarrazin years ago in a joint I used to hang out in a lot and he still looks practically the same except for his grey hair. I think I recorded this movie from a late night TV viewing and same thing for Corvette Summer, I recorded it also off TV. So needless to say I'm anticipating a nice and clear DVD of each. But when?? There's probably issues of rights and such tied up with these titles, I dunno. I just want them.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
There shouldn't be any rights issues with Corvette Summer. It's an MGM title on VHS and is still in print.

Jeff

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Yes but is it still an MGM title? You never now these days with rights being reverting back and forth, companies selling their catalog of titles and other legalities sometimes involved in older titles. But I'll take your word for it, Jeff.

About Gumball Rally, late last year I was talking to my older brother on the phone and he asked me if I could do him a favor and try to find it on DVD up in L.A. He thought it wasn't available down in San Diego where he lives. I was like dude if it were out on DVD I'd have it already, believe me! I just thought it was funny that he mentioned that movie all of a sudden. I think he also saw it playing on late night TV or something.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Caught Gumball Rally recently on the Action Channel and it's still a good movie. Would love to have this on DVD!

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
If you like Michael Sarrazin look for movie "The Groundstar Conspiracy" with
George Peppard being the heavy.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Michael Sarrazin also had a small role in FearDotCom (yeah, I rent it) and it got me thinking back to FRANKENSTEIN: The True Story and The Reincarnation of Peter Proud.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Yes but is it still an MGM title? You never now these days with rights being reverting back and forth, companies selling their catalog of titles and other legalities sometimes involved in older titles. But I'll take your word for it, Jeff.
OK, it looks like I might be wrong on this one. I checked the database of a major VHS distributor and they showed it as still in print and they had 83 in stock. Amazon also shows it in stock. However, MGM does not list it on their site so I'm not sure. It appears to be a pre-1986 MGM release which would mean it belongs to Warner.

Jeff

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I'll be all over a Gumball Rally release if/when it comes out. Great cars and a lot of laughs too.

"Why me? Why is it always me!?"
"Because you're an asshole, Roscoe." :laugh:

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks