Guitar players -- please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen L, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

I'm looking for some recommendations or info a decent starter electric guitar and accessories for my 13yo son.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,

A great starter guitar for a teen is the Fender Squire Telecaster or Stratocaster. These are, of course, inferior to the legendary Strats and Teles...but have great fret action, finish and pick ups. These can be had at retail music stores for under $150.00..if the guitar interest grows he can easily trade up to the real McCoy. BC Rich, also has a new "Warlock" issue that most teen boys drool over...I saw this on sale at MARS PLANET MUSIC this week for about $350.

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I agree with Darren. Those Fender guitars offer great value for the price.

4. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

Nah,
    You should get him a PRS. May as well go all out. [​IMG]
    That way you can give it to me when he gives it up.
    Chris

5. Craig

Craig Second Unit

I'd suggest a used Mexican made Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster. I think they're a step up from the Squires and would probably have some resale value if/when he wants to sell later on.

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I've been playing 4-5 years on a Fender Squire my parents got me for Christmas and it's still sounds fine IMO.

They got me a small Crate amplifier model GX-15 and a hard slim carrying case. I think it was a combo they got at Guitar Center:

$100 for Guitar
    $100 for case
    $80 for amplifier
    Plus Stand, picks, tuner, and some instructional booklets.

My advice is to pay for lessons or at least download tabs and teach him how to read them.

7. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Stephen, as an ex-guitar teacher. The Fender Squire Strat/ Amp combo is perfect for the beginner. I preferred that they start off on steel/nylon acoustic but try tellin a 12-16 y/o that.
    Do your homework on price, Guitar Center/Mars run combo specials all the time. In my experience, about 15%(or lower) actually stick with it. So I like these combos, for parents. If it ends up in the closet, your only out $250-$300.
    Don't let the salesman talk you into a better guitar. The Squire is all you need at this stage.

8. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I'll be quite different and suggest that you get him an acoustic guitar first. The transition from acoustic to electric would be much better. You can get a washburn or takamine for under $200.

My first electric guitar was a Cortez which was a Les Paul copy. I think it was pretty good for starting off. You can get an epiphone, fender squire series, or an ibanez for under $200. You can also get a small Crate or Fender amp for under $100.

It all depends on what you want to pay.

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

The Mexi Strats and Teles are great guitars, and relatively inexpensive at around $300.

On the used market, I'd look for an American-made Peavey Strat or Tele clone. These will have maple fingerboards and will say "Made in the USA" on the headstock to distinguish them from their lesser foreign counterparts. Peavey ceased production on these in 95-96. They typically go for around $100-$125 in great shape. They really are fantastic!

In a related story, a good friend of mine runs a local guitar store. He told me about a new student they started teaching who whipped out a brand new PRS McCarty for his first lesson. I wish my parents had done that for me!

10. Rob-Gr

Rob-Gr Agent

I think it is easier to start out on an electric guitar. The neck is smaller and you dont have to be as precise. When it comes to wrapping your hand around the neck it would be easier for a 13yo to use an electric. If you want to get him an acoustic, get one with a small neck that fits his hand, dont get one that is a classic or has nylon strings as these are nearly impossible to play. The electric is more fun plus you can use lighter strings that are easier to bend. The Fender works for me. Get a little 15 Fender amp and maybe some headphones to go with it.
    Rob

11. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

I'm no guitar player, but my best friend is, and an excellent one at that. He absolutely hates Fender guitars, as does everyone else I've talked to. I'd recommend a lower end Ibanez.

12. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

The practice amp you buy with the guitar should have a headphone jack. It will keep the peace.

-Gary

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

While an acoustic is probably better for learning on, it won't motivate young players, who will want to look and sound like their idols. The mexi Fenders are great, and I use them in a pro setting all the time. For the price the Squires are okay, but I'd take a used mexi over a Squire anyday. These do have a longer scale length than Gibson knockoffs, making them a bit harder to play, but learning on a Fender builds up the muscles faster, and makes playing a shorter scale much easier later on.

The main thing for a beginning player is that the instrument is comfortable and set up properly. There is nothing more discouraging than a guitar that won't stay in tune and has the action too high, or strings to heavy to play comfortably. The player also has to like the look, or they won't be as interested in playing.

I would also be wary of the tremolo systems on low end guitars, as these can contribute greatly to string breakage and tuning instability.

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. Rich Romero

My best friend is Ryan Satriani, Joe's son. Joe swears by Ibanez guitars. I think I trust him.

16. Ryan Satriani

I'd say go with a lower end Ibanez guitar and a practice amp. High end Ibanez guitars are really nice, check out my dad's models.....they rock[​IMG]

17. Rich Romero

Straight from the horse's mouth. I always bring the goods. [​IMG]

18. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I haven't had much good experience with low end Ibanez guitars. They were incredibly hard to keep tuned, and the finish on my first one fell off. The high end models are different.

19. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Ibanez?
    Electric guitar is about tone... [​IMG]
    I once gave away an Ibanez, lest it contaminate my far more valuble and superior vintage Fenders and Gibsons... [​IMG]

20. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler