What's new

Guitar Hero PS2 (1 Viewer)

Nathan A

Second Unit
Welp, I dug the game out, stuck it in, and was reminded that I had wiped out my save (not surprising). So I went back into the options menu and found the soundtrack. I again turned off everything but KMH. No Rush in sight, but KMH gave me the strength to run through one (last) race. "Years gone by, I'd say we've kicked some ass." I'd say that KMH would have been much more fun to play in GH2 than SatD.

Motley Crue freaking cracks me up. I was able to go to the Dallas show a few years back when they came with Megadeth and Anthrax and loved it. Does any other band embody rock star excess in the way that the Crue does?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

If their book is any indication -- no. :D

They were awesome when I saw them at the Beacon Theater in NYC. I forget exactly when it was (sometime between 1997 and 2000, I think), but I remember that it was shortly after Tommy Lee got out of jail because at one point the other guys left the stage and he came out and started running around, ranting and raving about how great it was to be out of jail. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Articles in the latest issue of the Official US Playstation Magazine imply that Killing In The Name by Rage Against The Machine and Panama by Van Halen may be in the new game.

Panama would kick sooooo much ass. I could *almost* play parts of it back when I was playing a real guitar. . . :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just got the latest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, and it lists 24 tracks from the game! In addition to those previously mentioned, off the top of my head I remember:
  • Freebird (Skynyrd)
  • Jessica (Allmann Bros.)
  • Sweet Child O' Mine (GNR)
  • Surrender (Cheap Trick)
  • Crazy On You (Heart)
  • Message In A Bottle (Police)
  • Killing In The Name (Rage Against The Machine)
  • You Really Got Me (Van Halen version)

I'd look up the others, but the Guitar Hero website is REALLY slow today for some reason. :)

They mentioned that David Lee Roth is holding up the inclusion of Van Halen tracks, but they still hope to get Panama into a future version of the game. (They actually said something like "we're not interested in Van Hagar; we want the early stuff!")

They also mentioned that downloadable individual tracks for the PS3 hard drive are in the cards, but they didn't mention versions for any other platforms.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

The EGM list:
  • "Heart-shaped Box" - Nirvana
  • "John the Fisherman" - Primus (original recording)
  • "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" - Stone Temple Pilots
  • "Madhouse" - Anthrax
  • "Shout at the Devil" - Motley Crue
  • "Message in a Bottle" - The Police
  • "Tattooed Love Boys" - The Pretenders
  • "Surrender" - Cheap Trick
  • "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" - Spinal Tap
  • "Crazy on You" - Heart
  • "Jessica" - Allman Brothers Band
  • "Freebird" - Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • "Beast and the Harlot" - Avenged Sevenfold
  • "Misirlou" - Dick Dale
  • "Laid to Rest" - Lamb of God
  • "Them Bones" - Alice in Chains
  • "Psychobilly Freakout" - Reverend Horton Heat
  • "War Pigs" - Black Sabbath
  • "Strutter" - KISS
  • "Who Was in My Room Last Night?" - Butthole Surfers
  • "You Really Got Me" - Van Halen
  • "Sweet Child O' Mine" - Guns N' Roses
  • "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" - The Rolling Stones
  • "YYZ" - Rush

Mentioned elsewhere:
  • "Arterial Black" - Drist (Original Track, Bonus Song)
  • "Hangar 18" - Megadeth
  • "Last Child" - Aerosmith
  • "Killing in the Name" - Rage Against the Machine
  • "Monkey Wrench" - Foo Fighters

Nathan A

Second Unit
I'd go for Panama (tho I still really, really want Hot For Teacher), especially over You Really Got Me. I did get to read the EGM article (and the editorial on why it's the cover story...I have no complaints), and that bit about David Lee Roth made me laugh. And I'm totally ready for 7-10 minute songs.

One of the picture captions mentions it'll be 480p and DPLII. Here's hoping for widescreen (especially for 2-player).

I also read that there's supposed to be a GH2 demo in the current or next issue of OPM (single player only; 4 songs- Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue; Strutter - Kiss; YYZ - Rush; You Really Got Me - Van Halen). I'm gonna pass because A) I don't want to spoil these songs, and B) I'm pretty sure that magazine is pricey.

I didn't know about the Aerosmith/Rage/Megadeth/Foo Fighters songs.

Hangar 18 was my choice for Megadeth; I'm happy. I actually enjoyed The Colour and the Shape, and Monkey Wrench is a decent enough song from it. I'm not sure I know Last Child. As for Rage, I've never really been a fan. I think GTA gave me all the Killing in the Name that I could ever want.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

I think there's still a bit of confusion as to whether those songs are actually confirmed or not, at this point. Some sites are showing that they are, and other sites are saying they're not.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Even the official GH websites are not in agreement -- their forum has the following list, but their Myspace page only lists 25 confirmed tracks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There was also a recent anouncement, related to Activision's (?) acquisition of Red Octane, that the game will be ported to other systems.

That and various and sundry lawsuits directed at and emanating from Harmonix and/ or Red Octane. Yeesh!

PS If they actually put Hallowed Be Thy Name in this game then I might have to take a week off work just to jam on it. . .

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
From the EGM article (by way of Wikipedia):

I've been trying to figure this one out since I first read it, but it just dawned on me today:

"Do You Feel Like I Do" - Peter Frampton

Just a guess, of course, but it's a long song, fairly well known, and it does have quite a few really fun solos thrown in. . .

---

(Long after-the-fact edit: It could also be "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," I guess. . .)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That "11-solo" song is the subject of much debate. Could be Hotel California.

Personally, I'm hoping for Hocus Pocus by Focus, but I'm not holding my breath. (I need to conserve it for possible yodeling! ;) )

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

Man, I hope there's not a big gap in between the PS2 and 360 versions. I don't know if I can hold off on the PS2 version for very long!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
OK, the new issue of Official PS2 Magazine arrived today, and it's got a playable demo! :)

Four songs, all of which are listed as "Opening Licks" (dunno if that reflects the actual game, though):
  • Shout At The Devil
  • You Really Got Me
  • Strutter
  • YYZ
It only has "quick play" mode, although you can select any of the four difficulty levels. You have a choice of 2 characters (Judy Nails and a new Elvis-like dude) and four guitars (2 Les Pauls and 2 SGs). No choice of venue.

Note that you must have the GH controller -- you can't play the demo with a regular controller. To get to the GH2 demo from the disc menu with the guitar, use the blue button as "select" and the yellow button as "return to the previous menu."

PS The songs are awesome. Shout At The Devil was much more fun than I expected -- I just didn't remember the song well enough.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Song list update! From the official GH website, including several new confirmations. The total confirmed list of licensed songs is up to 40 now. (I think there are 55 in total.)

No Hallowed Be Thy Name (yet). . .fingers crossed.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Looks like the list in my last post is the final, complete song list (not counting the rest of the 24 unlockable tracks). No Maiden. :frowning:

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
Finally just purchased the first guitar hero. must say it is very addictive, and wished i would have bought it sooner.

Nathan A

Second Unit
Eh, I think Best Buy offered a free t-shirt in their weekly ad a couple weeks ago. You could try calling to see if they have any left. Other than that, I haven't heard anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks