% Guidelines To Allocate Budget $$

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike_Mc, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Mike_Mc

Mike_Mc Extra

I am struggling with what to buy for my first HT system. I have seen posted elsewhere, and can't find that post again, some general guidelines on how to allocate one's budget dollars. The guidelines were stated in terms of X% for receiver, X% for speakers, X% for cables, etc.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Spend 98% of your budget on electronics ...

give the wife 2%, tell her to go out and have a good time, then crank it up!

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Here's an older thread that might give you some insight:

Percentages

4. Mike_Mc

Mike_Mc Extra

Rob, you know that women don't settle for just 2%--102% is more like it.

Wayne, that's the guideline I needed--thank you. BTW, I think I recall that you have the ELT package and a Yammie HTR 5760. At this point, I am leaning in that direction, but I am also strongly considering the Denon 2805 because it has parametric EQ--and I can get a great deal on it. Probably economic overkill with the ELT system, but, hey, it's just money.

Thanks again
    Mike

5. Wayne Ernst

Mike,

Actually, I'm running Polk speakers (RTi8/CSi3) with my Yamaha HTR-5760.

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i want a milos burger

7. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

Wayne you are my twin..not really but I got a Yamaha rx-v650 and polk rti8 and csi3 about 3 days ago! I want to go back and get the rti6 for rear fill.

8. Wayne Ernst

Will,

I saw that discount that you received on the Polks. Good job! I was able to get mine for about 33% off the list price on the Polk site through an authorized audio dealer and this was before CC started their clearance sale. I wanted the cherry finish, so I had to pass on the great deals at CC, because they were the black ash finish.

I'm sure the Yamaha RX-V650 will perform quite well for you. I'm still amazed at what my HTR-5760 provides for the price. Don't forget to mess around with the "direct" options. You can press the "stereo" button the remote and go between 2-channel stereo "direct" and 7-channel stereo. When you select 2-channel direct, it is a pure mode and no tonal emphasis is added to the music, plus, the front panel will dim - allowing nearly all receiver sources to be dedicated to the music at hand. Also, there is the "direct" button where you can use that option for removing any DSP coloration or tonal changes when using such sources as Dolby Digital or DTS when watching a movie. So many options ... so little time. [​IMG]

9. Mike_Mc

Mike_Mc Extra

Scott, I had a double cheese Milos the other day, with the sweet tea. I'd ship ya one, but it would be too soggy by the time it arrived to ya.