What's new

Guide for Home Theater (1 Viewer)

vijay007

Grip
Real Name
Vijay
Hi all,

I auditioned wharefedale and rothaudio and still PSB is remained. As we discussed due to much lack of budget I slowly complete set of home theater and will start from bookshelf. But when I have listened bookshelf without SW, it doesn't give me real(enough) taste. So I amv rethinking about budget and looking for tower speakers. So I will get descent audio till I complete my set.

I have listened Roth Audio RA3 tower speakers and it look good. I dont get chance to audition Wharefedale tower (Diamond 10.4 or 6) which has same price in India. I also interrested in PSB alpha T1.

So can someone focus on this, for comparison of above tower speakers and Is it right thought to go with tower insted of bookshelf.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends how often you'll listen in 2.0. I do that all the time. Often, over here at least, FM radio lacks bass(broadcast that way since most radio is listened to in the car).If you plan on a turntable...towers are a must(my opinion).Roth, never heard of them.Wharfedale is more highly regarded than PSB. I personally don't think you could go wrong here.Best bet, If you can return a pair, buy 2 different towers...try them at home. That is truly, the only way to know.

vijay007

Grip
Real Name
Vijay
schan1269 said:
Ok, hang on.USB for music. Of what?Is this music you are porting off your computer...or what?Most USB music is low bit rate(answer that first, where is this USB music from...and bit rates) Unless purposely done high bit rate.Even 320 files blow chunks through my Infinity Crescendo.If this music is under 200 bit rate...Buy the Fluance, end of story.If this is on a computer...why not network stream it?(or do you not know that ability exists?)

Sam I have checked with Fluance SXHTB-BK High Definition Surround. Is it HTib or I can do changes later in that system. Because it prices almost same as I am going to pay for Wharefedale 10.4 Tower speakers. And here at this price I will get Surround system from Fluance. So can you let me know:

1. Fluance SXHTB-BK is HTiB or speaker package? Can I do changes later on?
2. Feedback or review about Fluance SXHTB-BK
3. I also find one more Polk Audio TSi300 5.0 Home Theater Speaker Package, comparison between this one

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
The SXHTB-BK is just a speaker set. You still have to provide a receiver of your choice to make these speakers work. What is your budget or are you just asking for knowledge purposes? I'm just curious because the Fluance set is you mention is $400 and the Polk set is $750. That's quite a difference in price.

Are you now leaning toward setting up a 5.1 vs the 2.0 that you were talking about? Have you picked out a receiver yet?

vijay007

Grip
Real Name
Vijay
ArmSC said:
The SXHTB-BK is just a speaker set. You still have to provide a receiver of your choice to make these speakers work. What is your budget or are you just asking for knowledge purposes? I'm just curious because the Fluance set is you mention is $400 and the Polk set is $750. That's quite a difference in price.

Are you now leaning toward setting up a 5.1 vs the 2.0 that you were talking about? Have you picked out a receiver yet?
Yes my actual aim is 5.1 but because of small budget I decided to build 5.1 slowly as I get fund in pocket. So I have thought with bookshelf first, but when I listen it I didn't get joy so I have decided to Tower Speakers. When I have started my budget was $300K - $400K but now for only for Towers I have to spend around $800K. And another 300K for AVR. For Bookshelf (Wharfedale 10.2 + pioneer AVR) it goes on $850K.
In meanwhile I have found that Fluence SXHTB-BK for $800K. So I thought if I get 5.1 speaker set in $800 instead of Tower speakers, is that good deal (I don't like to decrease in quality more that 30% if I brought fluence)? Please can you look into this? {Note: All prices are in India, that's why they so much costly}

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I'm not really sure what you're asking for advice on....So here goes nothing. I hope this helps a bit.

[*]I don't know if the price of the Fluance set is any good because your prices are in India. I'm used to pricing in the States so you'll have to be the judge of that.
[*]If you're looking for some lower cost towers then this might be the way to go as it's cheaper to buy the set than to purchase them separately. You're normally going to want to match at least the front three speakers. In buying this set you will already be fully timbre matched on all the speakers in your system. This is a good thing.
[*] As far are the 30% decrease in quality...I'm totally unsure how you want to judge that.
[*]If you want speakers that you're going to be happy with then you have to go listen to them. I've heard cheap speakers that I think sound great but that others don't think sound good at all. I also heard expensive speakers that I thought weren't worth the money. Sam is right your ears will determine what you like.
[*]Also keep in mind that you're still going to need a AVR to push these speakers no matter what you get.
[*]You will also need to get a sub if you're going for a full 5.1 setup. As it stands now the Fluance set is only going to be a 5.0 because it doesn't come with a sub. You'll want to budget for that if you are wanting a true 5.1
[/list]

vijay007

Grip
Real Name
Vijay
Hi Guys

Last few days I was quite busy. My last choice was Two floorstanding speakers with AVR and I would like to upgrade later but here in India the costing of HiFi almost goes to double and I am can't wait for surround systems so I am thinking to go for Home Theater Packages. I have listed some of them below can you please help me to pick up anyone of them. It will be great if anyone can rate them. (Given links for product info and Price)

My room size : 10 Ft X 12 FT
Interest: 50% Music 50% TV(Movies)

Tannoy HTS-101 - USD 1000http://www.whathifi.com/review/tannoy-hts-101Pioneer Andrew Jones AJ-5235XT - USD 00http://pioneer-india.in/shop/aj-5235xt/Paradigm Cinema 100CT 5.1 Speaker System - more than USD 1200Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP Home Theatre Cinema Package - USD 650http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=36Wharfedale DX-1 Home Theatre Package - USD 1120http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=35http://www.trustedreviews.com/wharfedale-dx-1-hcp_Surround-Sound-System_reviewPioneer HTP-RS43 - USD 880http://pioneer-india.in/shop/htp-rs43/Sony HT-M5 Home Theatre System - USD 770http://www.sony.co.in/product/ht-m5Polk Blackstone TL1600 - USD 700Polk RM6750 With AVR X500 - USD 1020Denon DHT-X500 - USD 700YAMAHA YHT299 - USD 610

Thanks
Vijay

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wharfedale DX1...of that group.Trust me. The extra Rupee spent is worth it. Unlike the Moviestar, you won't get the "upgrade something" bug in 2 years.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Minor word of caution(whathifi and avforums, the UK site, have discussion of these very same Tannoy/Wharfedale) on the DX 1.If you buy a sub $500(MSRP...original price) AVR, make it a Yamaha or Onkyo...as the DX 1 is 4 ohm.

vijay007

Grip
Real Name
Vijay
Thanks Sam!

I was just thinking about DX 1 and I have noticed that Wharfedale Obsidian 600 is also in range.

Price for DX 1 = USD 1120
Price for Obsidian = USD 1250

Now difference is $130 but one thing Obsidian is coming without SUB WOOFER . So is that good to for DX1 instead Obsidian because difference amount is not too much. Is there any drastic quality difference between them?

Also can you please suggest me which AVR goes better with both?

Thanks
Vijay

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
vijay007 said:
Also can you please suggest me which AVR goes better with both?
What features do you need? (music streaming? Front HDMI? Front USB? Remote capable of running everything else?)

How many HDMI?

vijay007

Grip
Real Name
Vijay
vijay007 said:
Thanks Sam!

I was just thinking about DX 1 and I have noticed that Wharfedale Obsidian 600 is also in range.

Price for DX 1 = USD 1120
Price for Obsidian = USD 1250

Now difference is $130 but one thing Obsidian is coming without SUB WOOFER . So is that good to for DX1 instead Obsidian because difference amount is not too much. Is there any drastic quality difference between them?

Thanks
Vijay
Hi Sam

Can you please help me on above queries?

And about AVR I really don't know much about this. But sure I want to connect it to TV, Laptop also need USB so I think I need HDMi and USB port and if they are on front its better to connect. And off course remote capable of running everything. But which brand is going better with Wharfedale?

Smithjhon77

Auditioning
Real Name
Smith jhon
I think the cross-over thing to stress over is the inside channel. The recipient will recreate it on the off chance that you are running 2.0, yet its decent to have that genuine focus. (An alternate thought for the Psbs, you need the front 3 speakers to be the same line....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
vijay007 said:
Hi SamCan you please help me on above queries?And about AVR I really don't know much about this. But sure I want to connect it to TV, Laptop also need USB so I think I need HDMi and USB port and if they are on front its better to connect. And off course remote capable of running everything. But which brand is going better with Wharfedale?
I would pick the Onkyo that has the features you need.Don't remember off the top of my head if the 525 has USB. If not, the 626.Then, if you have them yet, the 535/636.

vijay007

Grip
Real Name
Vijay
Thanks a lot Sam.

Checking Onkyo now. Can you suggest me or differentiate Wharfedale DX 1 and Wharfedale Obsidian 600. The amount difference in both is not too much. So please can you look into this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks