What's new

Guest actors who became key characters in a series (1 Viewer)

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
If I recall correctly, Maude was introduced to All in the Family specifically to spin her off.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
How about Christian Clemenson as "Hands" on BOSTON LEGAL? Won a guest star Emmy and made a few more appearances eventually becoming a series regular during the show's final two seasons.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Todd_W_Zimmrman

Martin Landau was billed as a "Special Guest Star" during most of Season 1 of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. In the second season (and the third), he was a regular.
To be fair, though, that was at Landau's insistence. In a STARLOG inteview, Landau said although he liked the concept of the show, he was wary of signing a long-term contract, so agreed to do the show as a semi-regular guest star. He then went on to say he ended up liking it so much that he did all but just a very few of the first season shows, then, his fears gone, signed on as a regular with season 2.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Most all of the examples being mentioned are people going from being recurring actors to regulars, mostly as a matter of contract terms or necessity to fill a gap. My intent with the original post was to think of a guest star who had such an impact in a guest role that the producers were compelled to change their plans and give them key starring roles.

GVF25

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent
Heather Locklear who was billed as a guest star on Melrose Place for the entire run of the show, Marica Cross also on MP who was killed off and brought back.

Roseanne had a few like Estelle Parsons who was only a guest star and became a recurring character who eventually moved to Lanford.

Luke McFarlane on Brothers and Sisters was only a guest star who's character is now married to one of the main characters on the show.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

They weren't guests, but Urkel and Fonzi were just supposed to be secondary characters but they were so popular the shows began to revolve around them.
Urkel was a guest at first, actually. IIRC, he didn't even show up until halfway through the first season.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Originally Posted by GVF25

Heather Locklear who was billed as a guest star on Melrose Place for the entire run of the show, Marcia Cross also on MP who was killed off and brought back.
Actually, Locklear and Cross don't exactly fall under that category, which is precisely why I singled out Laura Leighton in my initial reply to this thread. Sydney was only supposed to do two episodes, then disappear altogether. When Kimberly was brought in, it was already as a recurring character, a colleague of Michael's who has a thing for him. She was originally supposed to die for good in Season 2 but they decided to bring her back because they liked Marcia Cross as an actress and didn't want to lose her. As for Amanda, it was clearly stated in Heather Locklear's initial four-episode contract that it could be extended upon. As a matter of fact, Locklear never missed a single episode after her introduction in episode 21. She was considered a regular as soon as her face appeared in the opening credits at the beginning of season 2, and the "Special Guest Star" billing she received was clearly nothing more than an honorific title meant to single her out from the rest of the cast who were credited in alphabetical order.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by EricSchulz

Wow, I can't believe that no one has mentioned Bea Arthur as Maude on All In The Family! I'm thinking that the "family tree" from AITF has to be a record: Maude begat Good Times; AITF begat The Jeffersons, Gloria and Archie Bunker's Place. For some reason, I think I forgot one in there somewhere....
Oh god the pain!

Or I guess in Norman Lear-dom "OH GOD THE PAIN THE PAIN, [SIZE= larger]AHHH THE PAIN[/SIZE], THE PAIN"

The true meaning of purgatory -- eyelids propped open being forced to endless episodes or this whole spin off sequence. I thought it was never going to end. Throw in Sanford and Seinfeld and Satan obviously will win that battle in the end.

Just not to be a total thread crapper:

Larry, Darryll and Daryll I'm going to assume were never meant to be recurring characters on Newhart.

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
I may be wrong, but I could swear that Laura Innes' appearance on ER was supposed to be a short, limited run.

And her Kerry Weaver lasted 13 seasons (and came back for the goodbyes in Season 15).

(Hmm...where ARE the rest of the ER DVDs, anyway? The UK has 'em! But I digress...)

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
the future Col. Potter from M*A*S*H Harry Morgan had guest starred as a crazy general in one of the earlier episodes.

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
the future Col. Potter from M*A*S*H Harry Morgan had guest starred as a crazy general in one of the earlier episodes.

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
could say Lucy Lawless getting her own show Zena after appearing in telefilm and 2 part episode of Hercules. also throw in Michael Hurst as his sidekick who became a regular in the 2nd season.

DonGillikin

Auditioning
Real Name
Donald Gillikin
How about Paul Burke in "Twelve O'Clock High"? He appeared in the first episode in September 1964 as Captain Joe Gallagher, wasn't seen again until March 1965 when he appeared in an episode as Major Joe Gallagher, then wasn't seen again until the beginning of the second season when, as Colonel Joseph Gallagher, he replaced Robert Lansing's Brig. General Frank Savage as the lead on the show for the remaining two years of the series.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Like I said before. Misha Collins was only supposed to be on a couple of episodes. But, he was so popular. They rewrote the story line to keep him on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks